Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Freezing food- baked or unbaked?

How do you freeze food?
I cook/bake and stick in the freezer  
 84%  [ 16 ]
I prepare the food and freeze them ready to bake  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

milchigs

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 1:00 pm
I'm cooking a whole bunch of food in advance for sukkot and am wondering if I should bake them and then freeze them or just prepare them and stick them in the freezer before cooking so I could just pop them out of the freezer and straight into the oven when I need them. Would things taste fresher if I freeze them raw, thus only warming them up once?
The foods in question include salmon or whichever fish I decide to buy, chicken, and side dishes like apple kugel and maybe a noodle kugel and some veggie things, so if you do things differently for each kind of food, please specify.
TIA!

Merrymom

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 1:13 pm
Fish should not be frozen cooked. Everything else is pretty much ok to reheat although I do find that it's tastier if you freeze it raw and then cook it. You need to take into account how much time you have and how much room you have in your oven erev y"t. If I waited until then I'd be in big trouble. So my soup, desserts, meats are all done ahead of time. Challah, kugels (prepared and then frozen raw), chicken, and side dishes are all done erev y"t. I don't bake or cook on y"t itself as I would like time to relax just like everyone else, not spend my chag cooking and cleaning all day.

Happy 2B

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 1:20 pm
I freeze some things cooked some raw.

chicken and meats are raw because I don't want them tasting reheated.

Kugels I freeze baked but I usually don't bake them as long like till they are dark brown so that when I bake them to reheat them they don't get overcooked.

something like deli roll I freeze raw.

I have done quiche frozen raw but I fear separation of the eggs in kugels. Otherwise freezing raw in general tastes much better if you will have your oven on or have the time to cook it erev yom tov.

I vote as much as you can raw.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 3:59 pm
one of the reasons I cook ahead is because of all the cooking time things take. I have one oven, and if im cooking things at different temperatures, it usually means I have to wait till one is done before I put in the other. I cooked ALL of my food ahead of time and froze it cooked for RH and it was all DELICIOUS. ive never had a problem of things not tasting as good. freezing raw would kind of defeat the purpose for me, ya know?

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 4:26 pm
Raw prep food is my best friend.
Everything gets prepared and frozen b4 cooking/baking. This way e/th is really fresh.

Rewarming cooked food that was frozen, is really not the same as fresh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics