Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Instead of cholent?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 10:50 pm
I think I've served cholent every Shabbos since I got married. It's fine but right now I think we need a break, I'm tossing too much leftovers lately even though I make less and less every week due to the leftover issue. Need ideas for a replacement main dish (plus some of the side. Cholent having potatoes and barley in it makes it most of the meal, I don't even do kugel for the daytime).

1. No deli meats. I hold they are not the healthiest choice and want something more wholesome. Ditto to the flaky dough that deli roll involves, so just going to stay away from that idea altogether.
2. Hot dish please. That's the point of cholent in theory, right?
3. Preferably no exotic ingredients because it's already erev Shabbos and I wasn't planning to do more shopping. Though if someone has a really inspirational idea I might send DH out on emergency Wink
4. Preferably involving meat, not chicken. I am pregnant and while chicken doesn't revolt me anymore it still doesn't seem to digest as well as meat. But I'll accept chicken ideas anyway, maybe for future reference if I don't decide to do it now.

Thanks!

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 10:59 pm
So basically, you are looking for a non-cholent, warm beef dish that uses simple ingredients?

A simple beef stew.

Hungarian goulash.

Spaghetti bolognaise

Meat lasagne

Stuffed peppers

BTW: What cut of meat do you have to work with?

Happy18

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:06 pm
I've thrown chicken soup in my crockpot. It was delicious.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:14 pm
Chicken soup in crockpot is totally not our style. I've seen it done, to me it's just overcooked soup.

DrMom, thanks for the ideas, but can you tell me in a little more detail how some of them work? I'm not such a balabusta, I haven't the foggiest idea how to make a stew or what goulash even means.

I actually restocked my freezer pretty recently, so I have flanken (which I usually use for the cholent), lean ground beef, a very small amount of pepper steak (used half the package l'kovod rosh chodesh last week), chicken bottoms, and chicken cutlets.

This is really funny: I just noticed at the bottom in related topics that I myself started an IDENTICAL thread to this one about a year ago. Heading over to see if there were any good ideas there! embarrassed

de_goldy

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:16 pm
Cut up a bunch of onions, put in the bottom of your crockpot. Put a cut of meat on top (whole). No liquid unless you want to add some sauce. Allow to cook in it's own juices until you're ready to eat. Then serve over rice. (I put the rice in a ziploc on top the crockpot in the morning; it's usually warm by the meal). I had this at someone's house and it was so good I started doing it all the time.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:17 pm
Nah nothing there really turned me on. And I'm getting nauseous reading all the food ideas that don't appetize me. I think I need to have this baby already.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:19 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Cut up a bunch of onions, put in the bottom of your crockpot. Put a cut of meat on top (whole). No liquid unless you want to add some sauce. Allow to cook in it's own juices until you're ready to eat. Then serve over rice. (I put the rice in a ziploc on top the crockpot in the morning; it's usually warm by the meal). I had this at someone's house and it was so good I started doing it all the time.

1. Its own juices will be enough to keep it from Friday afternoon until Shabbos lunch?!
2. Sounds too similar to cholent. In fact that's just about exactly how I make cholent, just instead of warming up rice on top of the crockpot I put barley and potatoes inside the crockpot. How different can it be?

Muchacha

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:19 pm
Tacos!

black sheep

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:25 pm
seeker wrote:
Nah nothing there really turned me on. And I'm getting nauseous reading all the food ideas that don't appetize me. I think I need to have this baby already.

have chinese food for shabbos lunch. that will take care of both your dilemmas Smile

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:27 pm
Chickpeas is really tasty - Put the following in the crock pot: dried chick peas, cut up potatoes, flanken, salt and pepper, and enough water to cook. It might seem similar to cholent, but it really has a different flavor and I think lighter than cholent.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:30 pm
black sheep wrote:
seeker wrote:

have chinese food for shabbos lunch. that will take care of both your dilemmas Smile
Recipe suggestion? I like chinese style enough but don't have a recipe and it needs to be something that will work out with staying warm overnight. last week I tried making beef with broccoli chinese style and it didn't even last well from before shabbos until our friday night seudah Sad

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:40 pm
Gold21 posted that she makes a stew every week instead of cholent- meat, potatoes, carrots, green beans, onion, garlic, tomato sauce and salt.

I love crock pot stew, I make it a bit differently. Cut chunks of potatoes, onions, garlic cloves, carrots, turnip, paranip, celery, zucchini, and anything else you want to throw in. Toss with osem "natural" soup mix, or your own spice mix (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, parsley flakes). If you're using stew meat, just mix it into the rest. If you're using a larger chunk of meat, rub it with salt, pepper and paprika and then put on top. Add about a cup of water without washing spices off too much, and a couple of bay leaves. Cook on low.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:49 pm
So it's like cholent but with more vegetables... I suspect that almost anything that involves meat and stuff sitting in a crockpot for 20 hours will be somewhat like cholent... sigh.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:53 pm
Not really like cholent at all, actually. It's just stew. I wouldn't start it so early either. If you want you can prepare it all in the crockpot and keep it in the fridge. Then turn it on right before you light candles. I guess it ends up being like 16 hours or so.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:54 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Not really like cholent at all, actually. It's just stew. I wouldn't start it so early either. If you want you can prepare it all in the crockpot and keep it in the fridge. Then turn it on right before you light candles. I guess it ends up being like 16 hours or so.
I thought it has to be cooked before shabbos? I don't start so early, usually about 2 hours before Shabbos.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:56 pm
seeker wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
I thought it has to be cooked before shabbos? I don't start so early, usually about 2 hours before Shabbos.

Either totally raw, or 2/3 cooked I think... But check with your authority.

September June

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 11:57 pm
seeker wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

According to what I learned, raw is actually better than fully cooked halachically.

french fries

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 12:37 am
Happy18 wrote:
I've thrown chicken soup in my crockpot. It was delicious.

I love chicken soup for shabbos lunch. Its a shame that my family doesn't like it.

de_goldy

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 12:42 am
Chicken and meat can be fully raw and turned on right before shabbos.

Seeker - the meat I posted about tastes (and smells!) nothing like cholent.

It sounds like you really don't want hot food - maybe stick with shnitzel and roasted veggies at room temp or something like that. We do it often.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 3:52 am
seeker wrote:
Chicken soup in crockpot is totally not our style. I've seen it done, to me it's just overcooked soup.

DrMom, thanks for the ideas, but can you tell me in a little more detail how some of them work? I'm not such a balabusta, I haven't the foggiest idea how to make a stew or what goulash even means.

I actually restocked my freezer pretty recently, so I have flanken (which I usually use for the cholent), lean ground beef, a very small amount of pepper steak (used half the package l'kovod rosh chodesh last week), chicken bottoms, and chicken cutlets.

This is really funny: I just noticed at the bottom in related topics that I myself started an IDENTICAL thread to this one about a year ago. Heading over to see if there were any good ideas there! embarrassed

I'm far from being a balabusta myself. I just look up recipes on the internet and give them a try. Sometimes it takes a few iterations and tweaking unti I get something I really like.

Hungarian goulash is a beef stew using lots of paprika. It is usually served over broad egg noodles. Here are some recipes (I'd give you the recipe we use, except my husband usually makes it and it is never the same twice):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/h.....sh-I/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/h......aspx
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus