Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Let's create our own magazine
1  2  3  4  Next

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:00 pm
so I see a lot of people really like the mishpacha/binah/ami variety of magazine. I also know that subscriptions to these publications can be quite expensive. I think we can create our own magazine. we can have posters write serials, interesting articles, etc. people can read them for free, and those who want to be published can get feedback from readers and general writing practice. I would add that criticism would generally be welcome unless otherwise stated by the author before posting any piece.

anyone interested? we'd have to work out organizing it-- one story per thread, etc. I think it could be fun.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:01 pm
I'm all for! Let's show 'em how it's done!

September June

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:02 pm
Mummie Dearest, I nominate you to write the serial!

enneamom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:05 pm
I'm in! (but don't you think we waste enough time here already? Smile )

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:06 pm
September June wrote:

I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or you're shoving the responsibility on me Smile

does anyone have any suggestions on how to organize this? I'm wondering whether serials should have all the parts posted on the same thread. maybe we should form separate threads for comments?

ideas?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:07 pm
enneamom wrote:
I'm in! (but don't you think we waste enough time here already? Smile )

actually, this would involve less time spent on the computer for me. I write with pen and paper first.

I'd love to have mixed genres. maybe we should come up with a labeling system in the thread titles...

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:11 pm
Is this going to be a magazine that will be printed or only read here online?
I'd love to do comedy for it.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:20 pm
read here online. perhaps as a subforum for the writing club? I know that some posts have gotten rave reviews from magazine readers.

anyone want to edit?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:28 pm
oh, and this magazine will allow pictures of women if posters wish to post (with permission of whoever is in the photo).

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:31 pm
maybe a seperate blog that we can link to from imamother (with yaels permission, of course). And it can be password protected, if you want.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:50 pm
Raisin wrote:
maybe a seperate blog that we can link to from imamother (with yaels permission, of course). And it can be password protected, if you want.

that might make more sense...

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:04 pm
I really like this idea...

but instead of just a blog, what if it was a web page that looked like a REAL magazine... I'm sure there is someone on this board capabable of that skill... it would need password to get on and edit, but it could be really cool looking and stuff

September June

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:46 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
September June wrote:

I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or you're shoving the responsibility on me Smile

does anyone have any suggestions on how to organize this? I'm wondering whether serials should have all the parts posted on the same thread. maybe we should form separate threads for comments?

ideas?

It's a compliment. Smile
You did a good job writing a frum style serial on another thread. Lots of fainting, I remember. Wink

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:26 pm
September June wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
September June wrote:

ideas?

It's a compliment. Smile
You did a good job writing a frum style serial on another thread. Lots of fainting, I remember. Wink

lol. that was satire. I'm not sure how people would react if I wrote a whole serial like that.

I do think we could make this look like a magazine online. it could be a lot of fun, but a lot of work. we'd need a bunch of editors, writers, graphics people...

I think we should start smallish. so let's come up with a list of genres that can be included.

I suggest we keep this purely literary. anyone who wants current events can check a news website, right? any objections?

any suggestions for genres to be "printed?" I'd like to combine the frum-style writing genres and the secular genres. we can publish them side-by-side or combine the styles in one piece.

anyone seriously interested in being involved who has editing experience? (and who would do this for free, obviously.) we'd need a bunch of editors.

runninglate

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:36 pm
I would love to edit. No experience though. Just a knack for it.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:40 pm
ok, why not try?

anyone else? maybe I should put this in announcements.

oh, and we need a name for the magazine.

September June

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:21 pm
If you want a recipe section, I can contribute (although I think Ra Mom should really be in charge of that).

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:23 pm
good idea. I forgot about recipes.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:26 pm
it would also be nice to include a d'var torah

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:29 pm
singleagain, you want to contribute one?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club