Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Most Organized Home in America - HGTV
Previous  1  2

JollyMommy

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:58 pm
sorry- I'm saying tupperware, but I just mean any plastic drawer sets, here's one from bedbathandbeyond.com

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....09130

here's a cheaper one from target.com

http://www.target.com/p/Steril.....61720

JollyMommy

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 10:04 pm
the way I did our Elfas is I went to the Container Store with my measurements and asked them to configure the space for 2 kids that would hold what I wanted it to and leave room for hanging clothes on top. They had it fit PERFECTLY, the drawers are excellent a year later. It's a wonderful product that we will hopefully have forever, I will definately bring it to our new house when we move IYH.

The Elfa's I have are the metal mesh ones, which were the cheapest style (though still not cheap) up to waist height.
Similar to the ones in here, but metal colored and made to fit into our closets.

http://www.containerstore.com/.....id=21

However, it is pricey, so the plastic drawers or similar that I posted above are an alternative, but it is not as functional or smooth to pull out as Elfa, which is why we switched. It is however, better than hanging everything or stuffing everything into a big box or something, but Elfa is great.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 10:21 pm
Oh, we have Sterilite in the kitchen. They are no where near sturdy enough to hold my kids' clothing (boys pants are heavy!!). Oh well. Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 10:58 pm
Where can I find a shower curtain liner with organizer pockets in it?

Merrymom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:38 am
I think most kids have too many toys. Mine are either taken out on a rotating basis from the basement or I've given it away. Do kids really need 50,000 legos or a million card games? Would your life be so horrible if you threw out that Uno or cliks? I keep the dearly beloved toys and got rid of the rest including the ridiculous amount of stuffed animals (really, they need 20 stuffed animals on their bed collecting dust?) I don't waste time cleaning their toys anymore. Now I just say if you don't pick it up I'm taking it downstairs and even my 4 year old rushes to pick it up before I do just that. Before they didn't really care, because they didn't play with half the stuff on a regular basis anyway.

As for those 20 bottles of lotions, cosmetics, and face scrubs. Do you really need all that? Do you even think it's good for your skin to put some of that old stuff on you? Just throw it all out except for those that are used regularly.

Now for spices, they have to be used up within 6 months or they're worthless so just dump it.

If you find yourself saying "just in case" that's your cue to know that it's worthless garbage.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 1:09 am
I checked the insides of my medicine cabinets and they are magnetic. Yay!

Now I need magnetic cotton swab holders, and another 2 holders to hold some make-up products.

Does anyone know where I can find these?

[My bathroom has more products than it can hold (and yes, we use them all) and I need a new way to organize]

Tova

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:00 am
ra_mom wrote:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....88105

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 9:57 am
ra_mom, you can always add another shelf or cabinet. I know people who have done that.

ilic

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 10:41 am
Merrymom wrote:
I think most kids have too many toys. Mine are either taken out on a rotating basis from the basement or I've given it away. Do kids really need 50,000 legos or a million card games? Would your life be so horrible if you threw out that Uno or cliks? I keep the dearly beloved toys and got rid of the rest including the ridiculous amount of stuffed animals (really, they need 20 stuffed animals on their bed collecting dust?) I don't waste time cleaning their toys anymore. Now I just say if you don't pick it up I'm taking it downstairs and even my 4 year old rushes to pick it up before I do just that. Before they didn't really care, because they didn't play with half the stuff on a regular basis anyway.

As for those 20 bottles of lotions, cosmetics, and face scrubs. Do you really need all that? Do you even think it's good for your skin to put some of that old stuff on you? Just throw it all out except for those that are used regularly.

Now for spices, they have to be used up within 6 months or they're worthless so just dump it.

If you find yourself saying "just in case" that's your cue to know that it's worthless garbage.

Yep, I totally agree with you. Too much stuff = constant tidying up or constant mess. I find that every 2 months or so I have to dedicate a few days to the house e.g chucking out stuff, putting things back in their right places, sometimes reorganising closet spaces. When I let it go on for too long I feel like my home is taking me over and I'm losing control. This is all besides every day tidying and cleaning. I find this system definitely helps for Pesach time also because I don't feel overwhelmed.

sky

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 11:57 am
for adding storage to a kids closet for cheap I always wanted to get organizers by the days of the week because my kids really only have enough clothes for one week and I figured its an organized way to store it and make mornings more planned but I don't have enough closet space. If you have a closet with wasted space this could work:

Like This:
http://www.onestepahead.com/ca.....2WHIT

http://www.amazon.com/KIDS-DAI.....Z1QNO

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Homz.....24745

http://www.amazon.com/Delk-Mon.....hg_38

I once saw it as a night table which I loved, but haven't seen it since.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:07 pm
It's just a canvas closet organizer, that they added names to. I HATE them. I have one because we had a broken drawer and I had to use it, but things fall out easily. I guess if you just had 1 outfit it would work, but I wanted to stack a few shirts or a few pairs of pants or a few sweaters, and it was just messy.

I don't like it instead of a drawer because you need extras in case of something happening and if you pull out one shirt, you're left with an incomplete outfit. And what about when the weather changes and you need some long, some short? I don't know. I think I think too much about these things Very Happy

gp2.0

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:51 pm
I don't like some of her tips at all, because I like everything to be tucked away. I would hate a bathroom pocket organizer because it just looks so messy to me. Also, where does she hang wet bathroom towels? I keep over-door hooks on the bathroom doors for hanging wet towels, and fold them once they're dry (or at least, that's the theory. embarrassed ) The shower organizer is cute, but she seems to be defeating the purpose by having the pockets face out. Shouldn't they face in so you can access all the soaps while in the shower? I liked the folding laundry hooks too.

And her file cart...files need to be in a drawer or on a shelf with closed doors. Try keeping a file cart with a toddler around...ooh FUN. LOL

This thread did motivate me to get more organized though, so thanks for that! I started by making my own drawer liners. I cut up a cardboard shipping box into several pieces that fit in the drawer, covered them in shelf paper, and now I have one beautiful drawer. She's right, it does make me smile. Smile

I was laughing at her sticker chart, because I did try that for awhile but it didn't end up working for me. What does work for me is very loud music. That's the only thing that keeps me focused, on schedule and on track. Lag b'omer I cleaned the entire house. LOL

I'm also a big fan of getting rid of stuff. I love freecycle. As soon as I see my DD is past the stage of a certain toy, I put it away in storage if it's a high-quality toy and dump or give it away if it's not.

I'm also working on my clothes, though progress on that is a little slower...I heard a tip I loved - only keep a few outfits that you really love and that make you look gorgeous, and give away the rest.

I love being organized but hate devoting the time to maintain it. So my house, sadly, is more often messy than not...

ray family

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
wereafamily wrote:
I came across this video with some amazing organizing tips... I'm so excited!

Most Organized Home in America - HGTV Clean Freaks & Professional Organizer Alejandra Costello

If you have other videos like this one, please share Smile

When I try to open this in youtube it says I am in safety mode, and I keep unswitching from safety mode, but it still doesn't work- anyone have this?

I couldnt watch it either

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 1:00 pm
We have suction hooks in our shower instead of a shower caddy, and it works much better at keeping things where we want them, without falling. I hang my puff thingy and a comb with a curved handle like that. Our bath walls have built in ledges which is great, and I use that to put shampoos and stuff.

I use shoeboxes inside of drawers to organize...that's what's great about having kids: the shoeboxes from their shoes are perfect since you get an assortment of sizes Wink
I tried cardboard but it didn't work well in the long run.

One of my kids' drawers is divided into 3 sections, so I use one for my daughter's socks and tights, one for underwear and shells, and one for pajamas.
Skinny drawer for hair things.
Skinny divided drawer for bibs (random, I know!) and yarmulkas.
We put up a hook on the dresser for my boys to hang up their tzitzis.

I sound organized. Please don't come to my house though!!

leah66

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 10:46 pm
I shall never let this women in my house! Cheerful women who show you how to put things in labled/color coded baskets belong in a preschool classroom.

Just joking, she gave smart advice.

Thanks for sharing

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 11:44 pm
Tova wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....88105
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 11:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
ra_mom, you can always add another shelf or cabinet. I know people who have done that.
A shelf is not possible because the bathroom is tiled.
And an over the toilet cabinet costs money, plus double for putting it together Smile (dh isn't into these things)
Besides I don't like things outside. Make-up tucked inside the cabinet on a magnet with easy access sounds perfect.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 11:50 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I don't like some of her tips at all, because I like everything to be tucked away. I would hate a bathroom pocket organizer because it just looks so messy to me. Also, where does she hang wet bathroom towels? I keep over-door hooks on the bathroom doors for hanging wet towels, and fold them once they're dry (or at least, that's the theory. embarrassed ) The shower organizer is cute, but she seems to be defeating the purpose by having the pockets face out. Shouldn't they face in so you can access all the soaps while in the shower? I liked the folding laundry hooks too.

I also like things out of site. But since I have a curtain already, the liner with the pockets will stay hidden Smile All I need the pockets for are bars of soap. It would free up some space in my medicine cabinet, and make life easier when a new bar of soap is suddenly needed while you're in the shower Smile

smoms

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 12:03 am
ra_mom wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
A shelf is not possible because the bathroom is tiled.
And an over the toilet cabinet costs money, plus double for putting it together Smile (dh isn't into these things)
Besides I don't like things outside. Make-up tucked inside the cabinet on a magnet with easy access sounds perfect.

My dh installed a towel rod with two bath shelves on my fully tiled bathroom wall. Something similar to this:
http://www.google.com/products.....ICMAU

He originally bought it, thinking it was suction mounted bec. the packaging read, "No Tools Necessary". Well the the 'tools' referred to the set up of the shelves, and not the actual mounting. But, he managed to drive several screws half way between the narrow grouts of the tiles, using those screws to support the shelves. Despite my disbelief, it's quite sturdy!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics