Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach desserts
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

hadasa

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 11:36 pm
Frozen compote is delicious too.

abound

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 6:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
poached pears (either in honey/cinnamon or in sweet wine)
homemade apple sauce with cinnamon sticks
homemade ice cream made with eggs
strawberry ices/sorbet with egg whites

Please can I have all the recipes!! LOL

abound

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 6:19 am
liba- can you post the lemon pudding recipe?

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 6:30 am
abound wrote:

I am not ready to take my Pesach cookbooks out yet... but I found one that looks right.

Lemon Pudding

4 large eggs
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons potato starch
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups water

Method

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan or the top of a double boiler, beat eggs well.

Combine the sugar and potato starch and gradually whisk them into the beaten eggs. Stir in lemon juice and water.

Over low heat or over simmering water in the bottom of the double boiler, cook pudding mixture slowly, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbles begin to appear. Remove from heat.

Pour or spoon into individual dessert cups or dishes and set aside to cool slightly before serving. Or refrigerate until ready to serve.

abound

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 6:39 am
Liba wrote:
abound wrote:

I am not ready to take my Pesach cookbooks out yet... but I found one that looks right.

Lemon Pudding

4 large eggs
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons potato starch
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups water

Method

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan or the top of a double boiler, beat eggs well.

Combine the sugar and potato starch and gradually whisk them into the beaten eggs. Stir in lemon juice and water.

Over low heat or over simmering water in the bottom of the double boiler, cook pudding mixture slowly, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbles begin to appear. Remove from heat.

Pour or spoon into individual dessert cups or dishes and set aside to cool slightly before serving. Or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Thanks, Maybe I will make it b4 Pesach, I do not use Potato starch (or coffee, or cocoa etc) on Pesach. I bascially have to make meals from "nothing" LOL

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 6:45 am
Abound, for that amount of potato starch you can make it from potatoes. Smile No processed foods needed.

xoxo1

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:03 am
5/12 cups suger? sounds like to much just want to make sure thanx.

Last edited by xoxo1 on Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:12 am
xoxo1 wrote:
5/12 cups suger? sounds like to much just want to meke sure thanx.

I googled some more and found four more recipes, oddly they all called for 5 1/2 cups of sugar and four eggs...

abound

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:13 am
I never made potato starch, I wonder if it is too big of a process to bother.

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:18 am
Abound, when you make your potato kugel after you grate the potatoes put them in a bowl with water, squeeze them out, and in the bottom of the bowl will be sediment. Let the sediment settle fully, pour off the water on top and then put in a low low low oven to dry.

abound

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:26 am
Liba wrote:
Abound, when you make your potato kugel after you grate the potatoes put them in a bowl with water, squeeze them out, and in the bottom of the bowl will be sediment. Let the sediment settle fully, pour off the water on top and then put in a low low low oven to dry.

Wow! thanks, sounds really simple

mushi

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 10:23 am
B"H

Banana coconut bake
6 medium bananas
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (or omit)
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown or for Peasach brown or white sugar
2/3 cup shredded coconut

Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease pie plate, 10x1 1/2 inches. Cut bananas crosswise in half; cut each half lengthwise in half. Place in pie plate.
Dot bananas with butter. Drizzle with orange and lemon juices. Sprinkle with brown sugar and coconut. Bake uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until coconut is golden.

Blood Orange Crème Brûlée

1 cup ground almonds
2 cups blood orange juice or regular oj
2/3 cup granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup turbinado or brown or white sugar (optional. only if you want to carmelize the tops)

Preheat the oven to 325°. Put the almonds, blood orange juice, and granulated sugar into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow the almonds to steep in the orange juice for 5 minutes, then strain the juice through a fine sieve. Let the juice cool.
Whisk the egg yolks in a mixing bowl until they are thick and pale yellow. Continue whisking as you slowly add the strained orange juice.
Put eight 3-ounce ramekins into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Add enough hot water to the pan that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Fill the ramekins with the egg and juice mixture and bake until the custards have set in the center, 30-40 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven, transfer ramekins to a wire rack, and allow to cool completely. Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each custard and broil until the sugar melts, browns, and covers the top completely.

LEMON PUDDING FOR PESACH

4 eggs
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoon potato starch
6 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups water

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan or the top of a double boiler, beat the eggs well. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and potato starch and gradually whisk them into the beaten eggs. Stir in the lemon juice and water. Then, over low heat or simmering water in the bottom of the double boiler, cook pudding mixture slowly, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbles begin to appear. Remove from heat. Pour or spoon into a dessert cup or Pesach pie shell. Set the pudding aside to cool slightly before serving. Or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Vegan Almond Milk Pudding (2 small servings, can be doubled)

1 cup vanilla or plain, almond milk, separated (I make my own almond milk for Pesach, let me know if you would like the recipe.)
1 1/2 TB sugar (more if not sweetened)
pinch of salt
1 1/2 TB potato starch
1/2 tsp vanilla OR almond extract

Pour 3/4 cup almond milk into heavy bottomed saucepan. Sprinke sugar and salt over liquid but do not stir. Bring to a boil over medium high. While waiting for milk to boil, mix remaining 1/4 cup almond milk with the starch until fully dissolved. When milk has come to a boil, remove from heat, whisk in cold milk/starch mixture, and return to heat (turn down to low). Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in flavoring. Pour into bowls, allow to cool, and refrigerate until set.

ORANGE AND ALMOND FLAN

1 cup sugar for caramel
1 1/2 cups peeled and slivered almonds
3/4 cup sugar for flan
10 eggs
1 3/4 cups orange juice

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.
In a pan, heat the cup of sugar over low heat until it achieves the consistency of caramel. It takes a while, but don't leave it unattended and move the pan as it begins to melt. Once it looks like caramel and is melted, decide how dark and strong you want the caramel to be. The lighter the color of the caramel, the lighter flavor. But be careful because if it gets too dark it can taste bitter and can burn quickly. Take it off the heat and pour it into the bottom of a flan or round tube mold or into 10 individual custard cups. Do so quickly, since caramel hardens fast.
Place the almonds and remaining sugar into the blender or food processor and finely grind. Add the orange juice, and blend. Add in the eggs and puree until combined. Pour the flan mixture on top of the hardened caramel in the molds.
Place the molds in a hot water bath in a deep baking pan. Make sure the water comes up to about half the height of the molds and that the water is very hot. Slide the baking pan with the molds into the oven. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a flan comes out clean. When ready, take them out of the oven, out of the water bath and allow to cool.
If flans will not be eaten on the same day, they can be covered and refrigerated, for up to a week. Before unmolding, you can place the molds in a container with very hot water for 5 to 10 seconds, so that the sugar will melt a bit, and help the flan come out. You can also run the tip of the knife around the rim of the flan. Then turn the flans onto a plate, but wait ab it until most caramel pours on top of each flan.

mushi

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 10:31 am
B"H

Make Your Own Potato Starch

Start by grating some raw potatoes very finely. Place the grated pieces in a layer or two of cheese cloth and squeeze any liquid from the potatoes into a bowl. Next add some water and squeeze the pulp again until the water runs clear. Place the liquid in the refrigerator for about four hours to let the pulp settle on the bottom of the bowl. Carefully remove the container from the refrigerator and slowly pour off the layer of water that is now on top into another bowl or container. Add some more water and stir the starch. Place back into the refrigerator for about an hour to allow the starch to settle again. After an hour remove the bowl from the refrigerator and pour off the excess water again. Whatever is left in the first bowl is the potato starch. You can now allow the remaining liquid to dry and become a powder.

princessleah

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 10:45 am
I always make tons of meringues. Just whip egg whites, add some sugar (maybe like 1 cup sugar per 6 egg whites). Then fold in whatever flavor you want them to be-- chocolate chips, vanilla extract, lemon zest, etc.

Bake at 200 degrees on a cookie sheet until crisp and dry but not brown (probably 1.5-2 hours).
Very low in fat and a crowd pleaser!

saralem

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 12:59 pm
I often serve apple kugel as dessert--since it's so much like cake, really. also, brownies and blondies and ices.

Chanie

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 2:42 pm
anyone have a recipe for a lady finger kind of cookie?

abound

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:27 pm
Thanks Mushi, You gave me lots of great recipes I can use.
Anyone have an apple kugel recipe that does not have p. starch

CatLady

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:50 pm
Mushi, I'd love your almond milk recipe, please! I'm imagining how that creme brulee tastes - that one's going on the menu for sure. Thanks for sharing these amazing recipes with us!

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:55 pm
The Binah had 2 great recipes this week.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:20 pm
abound wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
poached pears (either in honey/cinnamon or in sweet wine)
homemade apple sauce with cinnamon sticks
homemade ice cream made with eggs
strawberry ices/sorbet with egg whites

Please can I have all the recipes!! LOL

Poached Pears
-pears, peeled but stem intact
-water
-honey
-cinnamon

Combine 1" water on bottom of pot with honey and cinnamon to taste. Add pears, bring to a boil and simmer lightly until lightly softened but still crisp. Drizzle with more honey if desired.

Poached Pears in Red Wine (I think this is from Bina a few years ago)
• 8 Bosc pears
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 32 oz. (1 liter) bottle sweet red wine
• 5 cups water

Peel the pears, making sure to leave the stems intact.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a lidded pot. Bring to a boil. Gently place the pears inside the pot. Lower the flame and simmer for 1 hour. Close the flame and leave the pot covered for a few hours, allowing the pears to cook in the liquid. This way they will absorb more color and flavor.
Remove the pears carefully. (Serve with whipped cream, if desired.)

Apple Sauce
• extra fancy Cortlandt apples, peeled and cut up
• water

Place cut up apples into pot. Use a size appropriate pot – apples should fill up 3/4 of the pot. Add water almost to cover. Bring to a boil.
Lower flame to lowest setting and simmer gently for 8 hours.
Natural and delicious! (Make sure to use the extra fancy Cortlandt apples.)
Serve in tea cups with cinnamon sticks.

I think the Vanilla ice cream is from Hamodia and the rest from Tamar Ansch)

Vanilla Ice Cream
• 6-8 eggs, separated
• 3/4 - 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice

Beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar, until stiff.
Beat egg yolks with oil, vanilla and lemon juice. Fold yolk mixture into stiff egg whites.
Spoon ice cream into a half gallon ice cream sized container.
Freeze.

Chocolate Ice Cream
• 8 eggs, separated
• 3 cups water
• 2 Tbsp potato starch
• 2 Tbsp cocoa
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Beat egg yolks until light and creamy. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a medium pot cook water and potato starch add 2 Tbsp cocoa, stirring constantly until it thickens. Fold gently into beaten egg whites. Combine both mixtures and add 3 Tbsp oil. Lastly add nuts, mix well and freeze in a 9x13 baking dish.
Serve with sliced oranges.

Strawberry Ice Cream
• 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, purred
• 6 eggs, separated
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar

Puree the strawberries with an immersion blender and set them aside. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff; gradually add the sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks together with the oil until they are thick, adding the vanilla sugar and pureed strawberries while continuing to beat the mixture. With a spatula, fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture and freeze.
Add one ripe banana to the strawberries when pureeing, for a strawberry-banana flavor.

Lemon Ice Cream
• 6-7 eggs, separated
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1 tsp grated lemon peel
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1/2 cup coconut, optional

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks together with the oil until they are thick and then add in the lemon peel and vanilla. With a spatula, fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture and sprinkle in the coconut. Freeze.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics