Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Shaul Spitzer convicted of assault

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 6:38 pm
An 18-year-old New Square man accused of trying to kill his neighbor in an arson attack stemming from a religious dispute pleaded guilty this morning to first-degree assault.

Shaul Spitzer, who worked for the Hasidic Jewish community's rabbinic leader, faces a maximum of 10 years in prison. He admiitted lighting Aron Rottenberg on fire in front of his home early on the morning of May 22.

Rottenberg, who suffered severe burns in the attack, was in the courtroom when Spitzer admitted to the crime. He told the judge that he approved the plea deal.

Sentencing is set for April 17; Judge William Kelly says he will sentence Spitzer to no less than five years on jail.

Also, a settlement is being discussed in Rottenberg’s civil lawsuit against Spitzer and Grand Rebbe

David Twersky that is expected to be in the $2 million range. Kelly said the agreement will ensure Rottenberg’s rights are respected within the village and allow him to sell his house.

Investigators said Spitzer tossed a homemade incendiary device onto the back porch of the house, where Rottenberg’s family was sleeping.

The attack was thought to be part of a campaign of retribution against Rottenberg, who disobeyed an order from the community’s grand rebbe by praying outside the village.

Because of months of threats — including telephone calls days earlier — and vandalism, Rottenberg's son had been monitoring surveillance cameras installed on the house.

The elder Rottenberg then confronted the masked man and during a struggle another incendiary device carried by the man detonated, burning Rottenberg and Spitzer.

Spitzer ran off and a resident treated him for his burns.

Following a Ramapo police investigation into the May incident, a Rockland grand jury indicted Spitzer in June on charges of second-degree attempted murder, second-degree attempted arson and two counts of first-degree assault, all felonies.

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 6:48 pm
Interesting. Did you see the article in the Failed Messiah?

AFAIK, the Grand Rebbe has no assets in his own name. I wonder who is actually paying.

Also, what changed in regard to his house? Technically, this is supposedly America. Who would buy his house?

imamiri

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 8:28 pm
5 years? That's it? Guess it's better than nothing.

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 9:00 pm
Rottenberg gets paid, Sussman gets paid, Grand Rebbe does not get touched. Spitzer gets taken care off. I am interested in where he will do his time and how much of the five years he will actually serve.

I don't blame Rottenberg because otherwise he would never see a dime.

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 9:30 pm
The deal is a done deal and the two million includes the sale of the house. Sorry I did not have that info at thee time of my first post. The house thing did not make sense.

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 11:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
Rottenberg gets paid, Sussman gets paid, Grand Rebbe does not get touched. Spitzer gets taken care off. I am interested in where he will do his time and how much of the five years he will actually serve.

I don't blame Rottenberg because otherwise he would never see a dime.

Just a small correction. Sussman was not the lawyer who represented Rottenberg today and he was off the case.

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 11:28 pm
I feel better about Sussman. Glad to know that he did not participate.

ElTam

Post Wed, Feb 08 2012, 8:52 pm
Judge William Kelly says he will sentence Spitzer to no less than five years on jail.

That means AT LEAST five years. Could be up to 10 years. I don't know about NY's truth in sentencing laws, how much time they can get for "good behavior."

Post Wed, Feb 08 2012, 10:31 pm
Maya, Sussman got paid six figures.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics