Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How can I get my hair chemically relaxed?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 7:45 pm
my hair is really curly and puffy and if it grows longer than a few centimeters, I can't get the shaitel to sit normally. even if I put it on when my hair is soaking wet, as soon as it dries it puffs up.

before I was married I got my hair chemically relaxed a few times to make it manageable and it worked really well. I still had curls but not so much "puff."

now I want to relax my hair again (so I can grow it more than a few centimeters!) but I don't know where to go? it has to be someone that I can trust - I.e. a good quality salon - because I don't want to get my scalp burned.

but it has to be somewhere "heimish" enough that they are willing to do it for me in private, no washing my hair in the public sink, etc. (is that even possible?)

does anyone have any idea of a place in NYC that can do that? I live in crown heights so I can take a subway to manhattan or I can get to somewhere else in brooklyn.

THANK YOU!

(hoping I get some answers because the situation is getting out of control and I do NOT want to cut again!)

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 8:17 pm
Actually with hair like that iwas told for my dd not to cut it b/c it just makes it thicker and out of hand. I let it outgrow it's btw stage then it is gorgeous and more managable. The only other remedy would be to do a crew cut every few weeks. Hatzlacha

Piper

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 9:10 pm
look here. these products are amazing

http://www.curlmart.com/

red sea

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 9:39 pm
I know a place if you want to pm me.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 10:52 pm
Tefila, that's true but not if I have to wear a Shaitel over it. Before I got married I had it that "manageable" length and I mostly wore it in a ponytail. There was NO way that ponytail could fit under a shaitel. Even as a teeny tiny ponytail it still made a huge bump and pulled the shaitel off my head. Trust me, I have VERY EXTREMELY PUFFY hair. I have never seen anyone with hair quite like mine. It just does not quit. Even after a few years of being married, it still has all its body and bounce.

Piper, do you have any specific recommendations? I need something that won't only be good for curls (I wish!) but something that will make them behave under a shaitel.

Red Sea, I am pm'ing you. Thank you!!!

Piper

Post Fri, Nov 24 2006, 1:18 pm
Really, anything that will give your hair softness and slip. I recommend Jessie curl products, and Elucence shampoo and conditioners. I have also read that in some curly girl books, they recommend washing only with a light conditioner-no shampoo (it really does get hair clean). Or coating the length with a heavier conditioner and scalp washing only. I do the latter. My poofy frizz is a thing of the past.

Tiferet

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:19 pm
amother, I had the same issue. I would rather not post what I did for it for various reasons, but if you want to pm me I will be happy to give you the details :-)

shininglight

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:33 pm
Aww, Tiferet ... come on, please? We're all so curious now!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 5:36 pm
Thanks Piper, maybe I'll try those products. I do skip shampoo a lot of the time. I have more puff than frizz. It's like my hair has muscles and even when it's shiny and beautiful there is no way it will lay flat or hang down. Gravity means nothing at all to my hair.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 8:21 pm
there are chemical relaxers in beauty stores like Sally's - just do it yourself - and follow the instructions - cheaper - and definately private

amother

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 8:35 pm
Tiferet wrote:
amother, I had the same issue. I would rather not post what I did for it for various reasons, but if you want to pm me I will be happy to give you the details :-)

Please don't tell us you put pish in your hair!

mumof1

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:50 am
I get a japanese straightenig done.
it lasts until it grows out and leaves your hair looking stick straight even when you just came out of hte shower.
your hair will always look like it was flatironed.
all salons do it.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 7:55 am
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up going to a salon called Gigi, on Coney Island and Ave. K in Flatbush.

They were really really good. The lady who did it was named Sylvia. She and the other ladies there were all really nice and helpful.

The strange thing was that I had my hair uncovered and I thought that was OK because it was all women and you couldn't see in the window. And I had made it clear on the phone that I was calling them because I wanted to have "hair privacy." Then one of the ladies' kid came. Like an eleven year old boy. By that time I was done but I thought that was weird and it made me a little uncomfortable.

One REALLY impressive thing: One the phone the person that I spoke to told me it would be $130. Then when Sylvia saw how short my hair really is she told me she is only charging $100. I thought that was nice.

Anway so now my hair is much more tame and my tichel stays on and my shaitel is more comfortable AND since it is now possible to tell the size and shape of my head, I am able to go look for a new shaitel!!!
Very Happy

Tiferet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 8:05 pm
but what do you do when you get pregnant? I was told you can't relax your hair when you're preg. bc of the harmful fumes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics