Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Side dish for shabbos lunch using zucchini?
1  2  Next

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 10:23 am
Anyone have an idea (with a recipe please!) for a side dish for shabbos using 2 medium zucchinis? It is for shabbos lunch, so will have to be reheated on the blech...
Thanks!

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:19 pm
anyone? please!

Ariellush

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:48 pm
Pareve zucchini quiche. For some good ideas, see: http://www.jewish-holiday.com/quichechic.html

Sauceless stuffed zucchini (pareve, stuffed with fried onion and rice or basari, with fried onion and ground
meet)

Zucchini salad (use cooked zucchini, but not overcooked, olive oil, vinegar or lemon, garlic and fennel to season.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:21 pm
thank you ariellush Smile those sound good...how do you make the stuffed zucchini?

Anything simple with zucchini as the main ingredient. and served as a vegetable side? (not a quiche or salad..) How do you cook zucchini in a way that it can be reheated and taste good?

greeneyes

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:33 pm
Roasted zucchini: Cut zucchini into sticks. Drizzle with olive oil or spray with pam. Season to taste. (I use "everyday seasoning" and a bit of sea salt but you can also use garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper.)
Spread out on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with pam and bake at 350. It's delicious. Best when fresh, but you can definitely eat it for shabbos day as well. You can also slice some colored peppers and roast along with the zucchini.

Ariellush

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:38 pm
tovli toraspicha wrote:
thank you ariellush Smile those sound good...how do you make the stuffed zucchini?

Anything simple with zucchini as the main ingredient. and served as a vegetable side? (not a quiche or salad..) How do you cook zucchini in a way that it can be reheated and taste good?

You can shortly cook it in any sauce, (fried onions, garlic, instant vegetable soup mix, if you like, you can use spices as turmeric and cumin) and than bake it. Put it dry on plata. I did that once and was very tasty.

Ariellush

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:44 pm
And, of course, use lot of parsley, coriander or fennel.

Last edited by Ariellush on Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:46 pm
ratatouille.
Although you cant warm it up on shabbos really, but it tastes great cold!

one version: fry onion, add mushrooms and zuchinni, add salt, pepper and then 1 can chopped tomatoes and one can water. boil up till cooked.

second version: exclude the mushrooms from above.

Both taste delicious and if you want a more complex recipe with peppers, eggplant as well pm me. (this one tastes divine!)

shmaichul

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 3:47 pm
Do u mind posting your more elaborate recipe? Wink

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:16 pm
Bruschetta Zucchini. Uses roasted zucchini as a base instead of toasted bread. Topped with tomato salad. So yum!
I can post the recipe if you'd like.

MMCH

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:50 pm
ooo ra_mom, Bruschetta Zuchinni sounds yum!
pls post!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 5:11 pm
vordale wrote:
ooo ra_mom, Bruschetta Zuchinni sounds yum!
pls post!

Bruschetta Zucchini
• 2 small zucchini
• 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
• 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
• 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 tsp dried basil
• kosher salt and coarse black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Trim zucchini stems. Wash and dry zucchini; cut each one in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the zucchini seeds of each zucchini half, making 4 long canoe-like boats.
Brush the zucchini with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with crushed garlic.
Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet, and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, toss together the quartered grape tomatoes, finely diced red onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove zucchini boats from the oven, and arrange on 4 serving plates. Top with tomato mixture and serve.

(You can make the zucchini base ahead of time. Just bring to room temp by leaving on the counter Shabbos morning.
If a tablespoon of balsamic is too strong for you, you can use red wine vinegar or lemon juice instead. Both options are delish.
You can make this using any type of tomato.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Dec 07 2011, 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

StrongIma

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 5:14 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Roasted zucchini: Cut zucchini into sticks. Drizzle with olive oil or spray with pam. Season to taste. (I use "everyday seasoning" and a bit of sea salt but you can also use garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper.)
Spread out on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with pam and bake at 350. It's delicious. Best when fresh, but you can definitely eat it for shabbos day as well. You can also slice some colored peppers and roast along with the zucchini.
we (ahem, dd - and she has the recipe, sorry) make something similar with fried zucchini, and a garlic sauce on top

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 6:56 pm
there are a lot of zucchini recipes here.

I'm making zucchini kugel this week !

speaks the truth

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:18 pm
saute zucchini onions and tomatoes. easy and tastes really good

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:21 pm
shmaichul wrote:
Do u mind posting your more elaborate recipe? Wink

It is not a real recipe as in all the amounts are estimates, I just throw it in and I use sometimes more sometimes less of mushroom, peppers etc. (its from my grandmother and she doesnt really follow recipes!) Here goes:

Slice 1-2 eggplants in rings, sprinkle with salt and olive oil and roast on a high number until almost burnt (yes!)
In the mean time fry up 2-3 onions in oil with salt and brown sugar (sprinkle of each) until browned.
Add 3 red and 2 yellow peppers, sliced in small pieces.
add 2-3 cans of mushrooms (or 2 containers) also sliced.
(at this point, its optional to add the zuchinni, sliced in small quaters)
Then add 2 small cans of tomato paste and 1 can of chopped tomatoes.
Put about half of a small can (use the empty one from tomato paste) with hot water (you can do one can depends how watery u like it...I do half a can)
a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper, (thyme and zatar if you want also).

spoon in the burnt eggplant. cover, and leave on a low flame for up to 3 hours (the longer the better.)
tastes good hot and cold.

I hope this is clear....whatever comes out it does taste good.

MMCH

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 9:00 pm
Thanks ra_mom!
always look forward to making your recipes Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 9:09 pm
Thanks vordale!

tovli toraspicha

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 7:31 am
Thanks for all your ideas and taking the time to post! Now I just need to pick one and try it out... Smile

mom2cutee

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 7:49 am
I just made zuchinni muffins for shabbos.

They are two colored- the bottom is orange, while the top is green.

I did not taste it yet, but they smell delicious. If you'd like I can post the recipe.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes