Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
ER job fair tomorrow "sorry can't shake men's hand"
Previous  1  2  3

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 3:59 pm
You can't complain that you don't shake hands for relig reasons when some Do shake hands.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 9:43 pm
How stupid is that pharmacist? methergine is so the bleeding will stop. methergine doesnt cause the abortion. so bcz someone had an abortion she should continue bleeding? ugh!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 3:35 am
I seem to remember a pharmacist/ doc can refuse to provide an item or an act unless it threatens the person's life and they have to give the infos of another one.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 5:49 am
sarahla wrote:
The only thing I messed up on what as I was exiting the building I was going to kiss the mezuzah when I noticed the ceo hr and the guy interviwing smoking a cigaret so I got super nervous cause they were ALL STARING at me so I didn;t kiss the mezuzah which was super stupid cause then it would have been clear "hi im jewish please hire me Smile!!!
Anyways thanks for all your advices and will keep you posted if IYH I get the job Smile

OP, I'm very relieved to hear the issue of handshaking didn't come up, and I hope a Jewish firm will be more sesitive to this hopefully when you progress to the next stage of the interview.

I think you did the right thing re: the mezuza. In general I think it's prudent not to show religion overtly. For example, if I know a candidate is a frum Jew, I would personally be less inclined to hire that person (assuming there're non-jewish candidates equally qualified) as I need someone who can back me up on days when I'm not available. Just $0.02. Hatzlacha.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:29 am
chocolate moose wrote:
You can't complain that you don't shake hands for relig reasons when some Do shake hands.

Why not? Some do but I DON'T.

Oh....and who's complaining?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:33 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
sarahla wrote:
The only thing I messed up on what as I was exiting the building I was going to kiss the mezuzah when I noticed the ceo hr and the guy interviwing smoking a cigaret so I got super nervous cause they were ALL STARING at me so I didn;t kiss the mezuzah which was super stupid cause then it would have been clear "hi im jewish please hire me Smile!!!
Anyways thanks for all your advices and will keep you posted if IYH I get the job Smile

OP, I'm very relieved to hear the issue of handshaking didn't come up, and I hope a Jewish firm will be more sesitive to this hopefully when you progress to the next stage of the interview.

I think you did the right thing re: the mezuza. In general I think it's prudent not to show religion overtly. For example, if I know a candidate is a frum Jew, I would personally be less inclined to hire that person (assuming there're non-jewish candidates equally qualified) as I need someone who can back me up on days when I'm not available. Just $0.02. Hatzlacha.

Right, and the converse can also be true. My company loves having Holiday coverage (me). I'm not a pharmacy tech....but this is true in other fields as well. When my sister did her residency, for example, she was never on shift Friday nights...but filled in on Sunday nights.

sarahla

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:39 am
farm wrote:
Barbara wrote:
tovli toraspicha wrote:
Keep in mind though, that if you do say something about the fact that you can't touch/shake hands with men for religious purposes, you should definitely explain somewhere in the course of the interview that for medical purposes it is allowed, as yaeli mentioned above.
I can imagine that if someone is looking to hire someone for a medical profession, and the potential employee says that they cannot shake hands with men (whether or not you add- because touching is considered very intimate in their religion) and therefore they do not touch the opposite gender even to shake hands, that would raise a red flag in the eyes of the employer. There is lot of touching involved in the medical profession, much more than just shaking hands, and if they think you are queasy about touching men, or unable to for religious purposes, they would dismiss your application.
(unless you are looking for a job that does not directly involve treating/caring for patients )

good luck!

I came to write the same thing.

Even as a pharmacy tech, as a potential employer, I'd be concerned about what other things you wouldn't be willing to do, and particularly about whether you would be willing to dispense all meds for which there was a prescription (eg, RU-486).

I hope this works out. But if it doesn't, or even if it results in a second interview, can you talk to a career counselor about how you should best handle these situations?

Good luck.

[b]The pharmacy tech does not have to know what RU-486 is in order to pull it from the shelf and package it for the customer. [/b]I think that's a bit of a stretch.
OP, you should ask your Rav, that's what he's there for. He will either tell you it's okay, in which case all your worrying was for naught, or he will tell you not too, and help you come up with a way to explain it respectfully.

to the bolded quote...I hope you're referring to a new tech that is still learning on the job (like me) and not a tech that have been working for yrs because ALL tech need to know what they're putting in the Rx bottle...its none of our business why mr X is taking anti-depressant but I need to know what it is because I have to recount twice as well as pain meds. And you know when you have an Rx for BC (they have their own section in the pharmacy) plus I need to make sure 1 med is not contradicated with another med the patiant is taking... our job doesn't just involve putting pills in a bottle we catch a lot of mistake that G-D Forbids can be very bad for people.

farm

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 1:59 pm
sarahla wrote:
farm wrote:
The pharmacy tech does not have to know what RU-486 is in order to pull it from the shelf and package it for the customer. I think that's a bit of a stretch.
OP, you should ask your Rav, that's what he's there for. He will either tell you it's okay, in which case all your worrying was for naught, or he will tell you not too, and help you come up with a way to explain it respectfully.

to the bolded quote...I hope you're referring to a new tech that is still learning on the job (like me) and not a tech that have been working for yrs because ALL tech need to know what they're putting in the Rx bottle...its none of our business why mr X is taking anti-depressant but I need to know what it is because I have to recount twice as well as pain meds. And you know when you have an Rx for BC (they have their own section in the pharmacy) plus I need to make sure 1 med is not contradicated with another med the patiant is taking... our job doesn't just involve putting pills in a bottle we catch a lot of mistake that G-D Forbids can be very bad for people.

There is no law that you have to double count antidepressants or controls, they probably tell you to do that either because they are expensive or because when the patient complains that you shorted him pills you can tell him there is no way that you did and the pharmacy policy is that you double count. Nothing to do with patient safety. I'm glad you catch mistakes that can be bad for people but someone who is hired as a pharm tech is no different than someone who is hired as a stock girl. Sure, after 5-10 years on the job you will have a tremendous knowledge and understanding of medications, but that is not required for the job.

sarahla

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:39 pm
farm wrote:
sarahla wrote:
farm wrote:
The pharmacy tech does not have to know what RU-486 is in order to pull it from the shelf and package it for the customer. I think that's a bit of a stretch.

There is no law that you have to double count antidepressants or controls, they probably tell you to do that either because they are expensive or because when the patient complains that you shorted him pills you can tell him there is no way that you did and the pharmacy policy is that you double count. Nothing to do with patient safety. I'm glad you catch mistakes that can be bad for people but someone who is hired as a pharm tech is no different than someone who is hired as a stock girl. Sure, after 5-10 years on the job you will have a tremendous knowledge and understanding of medications, but that is not required for the job.

you obviously aren't a pharmacist or a tech because ALL controled drugs have to be double counted and some anti-depressants fall into this category...and its mostly not because we give them less but rather more and no meds dont cost that much but it cost the customer a lot to pay

farm

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 11:06 am
You are practicing in NY State? No. All controlled drugs do not have to be double counted. It's a good thing to do to make sure the inventory is correct but it is not a law. Neither is it a law for anti depressants. Yes, a single tablet can cost a lot. $15/pill is plenty for the pharmacy to eat because you put an extra one in the patient's bottle. That's why they ask you to double count.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette