Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Strawberry Fruit Leather (Healthy Cooking Recipe)

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 3:32 pm
[I am still campaigning for a Healthy Cooking subforum and just followed up with Yael. But until that point, I wanted to share this recipe from this past week's Ami. It looks great and I'd love to hear if anyone made it.]

-Approximately 2 pounds (32 ounces) strawberries, fresh or frozen
-1 C applesauce
-Sugar or honey OPTIONAL

1) If using frozen strawberries, let thaw. Puree the berries in a food processor or blender (or with an immersion blender) until smooth.

2) In a small bowl, combine two cups of puree (if there is any left, use it for a sauce or smoothie) and the applesauce.

3) Taste the mixture: If you use unsweetened applesauce, you may want to add some sweetener, a tablespoon at a time, to the mixture for taste.

4) Pour the mixture into a parchment paper-lined 10x15 inch baking sheet.

5) Place in a 200 degree F oven for 4 to 6 hours. When done, the mixture will no longer be tacky to the touch, you will not leave a fingerprint, and the fruit leather will pull away from the parchment easily. Slice into rectangles (a pizza or pastry wheel works well) and roll- up.

I plan to make these this week with unsweetened applesauce and no added sweeteners.

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 3:58 pm
This looks very easy to make. Thanks for posting!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:53 pm
How did they come out? I'm thinking of making this as a Y"T treat for my kids.

Tova

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:56 pm
Unfortunately I've been too lazy to make them yet. But I really want to try!

tikva18

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:59 pm
Neat! thanks for sharing!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:02 pm
Mishpacha had a bunch of different fruit versions in their Tu b'shvat issue. I think I still have it, will try to type up later.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:12 pm
I remember making them in first grade Smile

I'm just trying to figure out when to make them and hog up my oven at such a low temperature for such a long time.

Tova

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:29 pm
Do you have delayed bake? If so, you can set to turn on at 2:00 in the morning or whatever and take them out when you get up at 6:00 or 7:00.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 7:39 am
Tova wrote:
Do you have delayed bake? If so, you can set to turn on at 2:00 in the morning or whatever and take them out when you get up at 6:00 or 7:00.
I do, but never used it yet. (Still getting used to my new oven Smile)
What I did instead was set it for 6 hours to auto-shut off. I think it was too long. The leather has a bit of a bitter taste (like a drop burnt?) and I did add in honey. My kids don't care for it too much Sad If I wanted, I'd try again with less baking time (I thought it would need the full baking time because my oven cools down quickly, and I had undercooked meringues the first time I tried making them overnight in my oven.) but I'm not sure it's worth it at the cost of strawberries. Oh well. Thanks for sharing the recipe Smile

misteray

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:51 pm
I was just doing a search online for this and I found a slightly different recipe:
2 cups strawberries
2 Tbs honey
1 Tbs lemon juice
The person dried it outside, but in the comments someone said they had it at 200 for 4 hours and it came out good. Another said 150 for 8-9 hrs.
HTH!
I'm going to try this out either tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it comes out, b'n.
Oh- and apparently you can sub other fruits, like apricot, peaches and blueberries.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 6:33 pm
This recipe is good

3 cups strawberries
1-6 Tbsp honey (to taste)

Puree in blender.
Pour onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Spread into an even square with the back of a spatula.
250 degrees for 2-3 hours. (Must keep an eye on it because each batch of strawberries has different degree of wetness. Might take longer with frozen strawberries, as they are more wet.)
Turn halfway through. Check to see that leather is dry, not sticky.
Let cool for 2-3 hours or overnight, and allow texture to change a little bit.
Cut into long strips.
Unroll, peel, and eat.

misteray

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 6:02 pm
Just wanted to add how my fruit leather came out. I used frozen strawberries. The first time it came out delicious- but I did it over Y"T in a 220 degree oven and didn't really pay attention to the time- just checked on it e/ once in a while. Probably about 3 hours. However the next time I did it on a 250 degree oven for about 3.5 hours, then left it in the oven overnight (it was on stop time)- it is not terrible, but definitely overdone and crunchy.
I think it's a worthwhile snack to do every once in a while- great way to get the kids to eat fruit!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics