Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you make your children's lunch? your husband's lunch?
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 3:02 am
I was talking to two of the ladies who I work with and we were talking about making lunches at night vs ini the morning.
One lady, who is just about ready to give birth, said that even on her day off she must get up early to prepare her husband's lunch.
The other lady, who, BH, has 6 children, said that she must make her children's lunch. Her oldest is 11 years old.
I countered that by saying, why dont you make your husband's lunch at night and either put it in the fridge if needs be or put it near his bag if it does not need refrigeration.
I also countered the other lady by saying that by the time we were able to use a knife, how old is that, 7 or so, my mother told us that we had to make our lunch. She would help if we needed it, but otherwise, we were responsible for making our lunch.
I must not be the only one out there who prepared my own lunch from a youngish age, am I?
And I dont know, but my husband knows that sometimes he has to prepare his own lunch. I felt bad for the very pregnant lady who, on her day off had to get up before 7 to make her husband lunch.

What do you do?

sarah86

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 6:33 am
I make my husband's lunch every night before I go to bed. He is not pick at all-so he doesn't care that is was made the night before. I also send him with breakfast-he gets a yogurt, muffin, shoko, 1 big sandwich, 2 fruits, bag of veggies cut up, 1 snack (cookies), and a bottle of water. My dd gets lunch at gan.

I never had to make my own lunch growing up-my mother made it for me until I got married (even when I was in university). My DH did grow up making his own lunch...

mom2cutee

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 6:50 am
I usually prepare DHs lunch at night, but if I forget he'll just go buy some stuff. DD is a baby so no lunch for her.
My mom made my lunch until I was in High School.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 7:22 am
My dad prepared my lunch still when I was in uni, as I couldn't eat at the cantina (kashrus). I remember he sometimes prepared for my mom (who worked) before there was a kosher restaurant accessible from her job.

I don't make anyone's lunch. DD goes to a Jewish school BH, and DH prefers doing things to his taste.

ntm1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 7:35 am
Every night I prepare my DH his lunch and sometimes breakfast for the next day. But if im exausted or not upto making him lunch he'll totally understand and make his own ( it doesnt happen too often).

Growing up, my mother made me lunch every single day until I basically got married. My mother was preparing lunch for my father anyways so she didn't care to make for me too.

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 9:19 am
I prepare my husband's lunch. He did it for me when I was working and he wasn't, so now we reversed the roles.

Besides, it's for my own benefit. If I don't prepare it, he doesn't eat and then comes home a hungry man in the evening. And that's not good for anybody. Smile

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 9:36 am
Dh likes to buy brunch daily so I am off the hook with that. My kids get lunch in school.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 9:42 am
I don't prepare DH's lunch except as a treat.
He told me when he first got married and I was making them for him that he knows how to make his own lunch- I'm not his mommmy or maid so I took that pretty literally and he's been doing it ever since.
Every once in a while I feel guilty but that doesn't change things much. Maybe if I was a SAHM and he was running off to work things would be different but we're both running off to work so it's to each man his own.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 9:53 am
I prepare ds's lunch and snacks for the day either the night before or that morning. Even though he's home with a nanny, I don't feel comfortable having her prepare the food, given his numerous allergies. So she knows he can only have exactly what I prepare for that day, and I try to have backups so he won't be hungry if he doesn't want something (I'm at work til six).

Dh comes home for lunch. He has whatever leftovers are in the fridge from dinner, or he makes pasta or rice or has crackers with something. BH he can manage that. I think if he was working out of the house I would prepare his lunch while I do the kids anyway.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:43 am
Not really. But sort of. The bottom line is that everyone needs to be fed and everyone is busy, so I have to get the most bang for the buck, so to speak.

I Do make sure to have food packaged that dh or the kids can take. DH is perfectly happy with a baggy salad, pkge of croutons, sliced cheese, pita bread, chummos and box of tomatoes. Every week I buy some version of that and he's fed and happy.

DD prefers leftovers and I make sure we have clean Tupperware and enough cooked meat, starch and veggies that she wants to eat. BH she's not that fussy. But no one gets up early to boil rice and bake chicken nuggets. It's all done the night before, or a couple of nights a week.

I find it easiest for myself to buy and pack fruit, yogurt, cereal, and protein bars, so I make sure to buy stuff like that to keep in the office.

DS is fussier but if I keep enough pasta, sauce that he likes, cheese, etc., in the house, he feeds himself. He'll do some of the errands, too, so I know he's buying himself fruit and the snacks he prefers.

Bags are readily available, as is Vitamin water and spring water in bottles. I think we do OK in our house.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:53 am
I don't put all of DH's lunch and snack items for a day in a bag with a napkin and a note (though I used to when I worked from home and didn't have to worry about getting myself and DS out in the morning), but I do make sure that the fridge/freezer are stocked with food he can grab for lunch.

Like, I'll make homemade pizza or French toast or lasagna and freeze it in individual-portion-sized containers, or I'll cut up fruit at night so he can just dump some into a baggie for snack. Sometimes he'll take leftovers from dinner, like stir-fry with noodles.

DS is only a toddler, so I pack lunch and snacks for him for when he's at the babysitter's house.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:56 am
I make my kids' lunches every night. My oldest is 4 and asks to make his own lunch. I do let him make a sandwich with supervision, but he's not ready to pack his own lunch no matter what he thinks. Dh makes or buys his own lunch depending on his mood. It doesn't make sense for me to make him lunch at night as half the time he decides that he prefers pizza or takeout.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:06 am
The brown bag saves millions. Made at night. Even frozen food can be taken to work in the morning; by lunchtime, kept out in the air, it is no longer frozen, and it is fine. Not cold, and not spoiled.

grin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:11 am
when there were 5 lunches to make in the morning, they often made their own since I couldn't cope. (they complain till today that they wren't mothered enough - are they right?) the younger ones are obviously much more spoiled - if I don't make the food, they won't eat.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:12 am
nope and nope

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:31 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
nope and nope

same here

In all my years of marriage, I don't think I made my dh once. I wouldn't mind, but he knows his way around the kitchen and he's happy to do it himself, but he really used to buy or not eat anything Wink . Now is another story because a different type of job.

For my children, they have a choice in getting school lunch or going home for lunch. I really don't feel like feeding them every day and it's a big pain to get them and bring them home, so they get lunch in school. I wish they can bring lunch from home because it's so much cheaper. My dd is allowed to bring lunch from home though and she makes it herself. She's 13 k'h. The funny thing is, when she went to prospect many years ago I sent her home lunch, but she would have prefered school lunch and now it's the opposite Rolling Eyes .

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:01 pm
I make my kids' lunches. Dh fends for himself. About once or twice a year I'll make him sandwiches if he's going to be out of town at lunchtime.

puppy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:07 pm
It is my nightly routine to prepare for dh his breakfast and lunch for the next day!
dont have any kids yet so its pretty easy still, and I enjoy doing it.

YoungMarried1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:56 pm
My mom made us lunches through elementary school, and always drew pictures on the brown paper lunchbag that had to do with what we were doing in school that day, the parsha, etc. Some of my teachers would ask to keep the bags! Once we got to middle school we made our own.
Now I make DH his lunch in the morning when he's at shul, and write a note on the bag with an occasional picture :-)

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:01 pm
DH does his own lunch. Who does kids lunch varies based on who is doing the patrol to make sure they get up, say Modeh Ani, brush teeth, get dressed, get backpacks etc. In general, DH would rather do lunches than have that duty.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics