Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What to do with toddler on NYC vacation?

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 8:55 pm
Hi everyone,
We're traveling to NYC for a week in mid August. We have a 2.5 year old and a newborn. We're looking for stuff to do in and around the city with our kids (mostly the older one, obviously!)

We were thinking of spending a day in Central Park, as we heard that there's a carrousel and some sprinkler fun...Any recommendations of other stuff to do in the park? Is it worth it?

Other recommendations?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:04 pm
I love central park! There are a few playgrounds, lakes, a carousel and a petting zoo. Plus lots of open space and paths to just run and be free. You can bring some balls or outdoor toys, or just enjoy the nature. I haven't brought my toddler yet, but I'd love to.

If the weather isn't great, you can go to Toys R Us in times square. It's huge, and there are always kids playing with toys and enjoying displays. It tends to be crowded though. They usually have characters dressed up outside too. My ds was excited to see elmo Smile

jemappelle

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:12 pm
check out www.mommypoppins.com for listings of "everything" for kids to do in nyc and vicinity

jemappelle

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:15 pm
also there is a new amusement park area in central park, a zoo that is perfect for the 2.5 year old (ie you wont plotz from going around a huge zoo ) as well as boating (might be hard with the kiddies), often there are street shows/jugglers etc there too. if you want to splurge, horse and buggy rides. enjoy! its one of my favorite places!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:17 pm
Everything mentioned above in Central Park is great. You can spend more then a day easily. FAO Schwartz on 5th ave is a lot of fun too.
I know there is also a children's museum in Manhattan but don't know if it's okay for toddlers or not. Maybe find their website and check it out.

maofboys

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 11:01 pm
I grew up in the city and spend almost every sunday there with the kids.
1. central park is great. there is row boats (very safe small lake), zoo, playgrounds with sprinklers, carosel, shakspear in the park (free but not really for the kids).
2. children's museum (upper west side alittle expensive but really great for a 2 yearold)
3. my name is mud (painting pottery palces)
4. build a bear / toys r us mid town (has rides and you can play with the toys) / wax museum (maybe 2 is too young)
5. today we went to the antrepid

best place to look is www.timeoutnykids.com
they have whole listing of stuff to do in ny (and they let you know what is free) you may also want to check out the jewish children's museum in brkln
have a great trip

shnitzel

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 11:34 pm
The Children's museum is fun for a 2 year old but it isn't anything special to see. You can easily spend a whole day at the park. We love to go and watch the horses and the street/park performers and the guy who blows big bubbles in the "mall" right in front of Bethesda fountain.

FAO Schwartz is also great and right next to Dylan's Candy bar which is fun to drop in to. Their bulk candy isn't kosher but a lot of the packaged stuff is.

My 2 year old loves the Museum of Natural History. You can go see the animals up close since they are all dead and the dinosaurs are fun. They have a "Discovery" room with hand on stuff for kids to do like digging for their own fossils which is a lot of fun. You have to know that it is there to find it.

If you want some amazing ice cream and frozen yogurt I have some good recommendations.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 12:15 am
Heads up about the children's museum: no strollers allowed. So you would have to bring a carrier along for your newborn.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 3:59 pm
hi I was in ny in december and one day my dh and I went to manhatten for the day and we left our 13 month old twins with a lady who runs a playgroup from her home and then in the afternoon my sil who we where staying by picked them up and looked after them. It costed 50 us dollars for the day but it was worth it in order to spend time with dh alone. We went to the empire state building and resterants, time square etc. Also to get to the subway in boro park there is a lot of steps. very hard for buggys.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries