Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
4 day old newborn constipated... wat can I do????
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 9:45 pm
he has not yet made sinse the first time in hospital. any idea wat I can to it?

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:22 pm
is he nursing or on formula?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:27 pm
nursing

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:35 pm
I had that with my ds and he needed prune juice mixed with water to help him out. 1 ounce each per day. Then every other day once it wasn't so bad. (And I'm very pro nursing - did for over a year and a half.)
I also stuck q-tips or a thermometer in his tush to help him get things moving. Also doing the bicycle with his legs (bend each leg into the stomach like as if he's riding a bike) helps get things moving.
And look into what you are eating it could be that as well.
HTH!

mltjm

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
I had that with my ds and he needed prune juice mixed with water to help him out. 1 ounce each per day. Then every other day once it wasn't so bad. (And I'm very pro nursing - did for over a year and a half.)
I also stuck q-tips or a thermometer in his tush to help him get things moving. Also doing the bicycle with his legs (bend each leg into the stomach like as if he's riding a bike) helps get things moving.
HTH!

shock shock shock
Did you doctor tell you to do that???????

It's completely normal for a breastfed baby to go once a day, or once a week, or ten times a day. Further apart than once a week, I would get worried. Why don't you speak to your pediatrician?? Does your baby even seem uncomfortable?

The only valuable advice in this post was to do bicycles. A four day old baby DOES NOT NEED prune juice or water and cannot handle it in its system!! And NEVER stick things up the tush. You could cause preforations, and then you'll have much bigger problems to deal with.

tikva18

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 11:14 pm
mltjm wrote:
amother wrote:
HTH!

shock shock shock

It's completely normal for a breastfed baby to go once a day, or once a week, or ten times a day. Further apart than once a week, I would get worried. Why don't you speak to your pediatrician?? Does your baby even seem uncomfortable?

The only valuable advice in this post was to do bicycles. A four day old baby DOES NOT NEED prune juice or water and cannot handle it in its system!! And NEVER stick things up the tush. You could cause preforations, and then you'll have much bigger problems to deal with.

Agreed! and mazal tov!

mommy#1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 11:34 pm
my ds was also very constipated at first. he was always in pain until hed finally go. a lactation consultant and the pediatrician both told me to stop dairy for a few weeks. (the ped told me to limit it to 8 oz a day, but I stopped it completely because the lc told me to, and I figured I would do whatever I could to decrease my baby's pain)
after 2-3 days, I saw a huge change. he was suddenly going without the pain and crying!

mommy9

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 11:53 pm
when one of my kids was a newborn (breastfed) she went once a week. Every Wednesday!!?? The doctor said it was normal. She is now a beautiful healthy 10 yr old.

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 11:18 am
Call the doctor and see what they think. It is normal for breastfed babies to poop once a week, but a baby this little should be making a dirty diaper more often.

DO NOT GIVE THE CHILD JUICE!!!

intrigued

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 11:21 am
HE is not necessarily constipated. Breastfed babies don't make bowel movements often as long as he is wetting his diaper 8 times in 24 hours he is fine.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 12:08 pm
mltjm wrote:
amother wrote:
HTH!

shock shock shock

Yes, my doctor told me to everything that I wrote since he was so constipated that when he was 5 days old there was blood in his diaper from him pushing so much. I was a first time mom and went crying to the pediatrician because I was so scared. A thermometer that is made to test a baby's temp rectally you wouldn't put in his tush? My dr said use that or a q-tip (both first dip in Vaseline so it goes up smooth) because a q-tip is disposable so less mess.

DovDov

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:06 pm
I think a newborn is supposed to poop at least once in the first week home.

Inserting a thermometer 1 cm into the rectum will not cause bleeding. Rule of thumb: insert only as deep as needed for the metal tip to be fully covered.

And indeed, it can help a constipated baby poop. A friend and new mother called me desperate about a week after birth because her baby hadn't pooped, he was fussy, and she was afraid she should take him to the ER. The nurse on the phone wanted to know his temp and she was afraid to take it. Minutes after I took his temperature rectally (it was perfect and he was totally fine), he let out a monster poop.

gold21

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:12 pm
1. please call your pediatrician, thats what he/she is there for.

2. definitely consider allergies, even this early along in the game. thats my experience anyways.

3. they usually recommend a little brown sugar in the bottle at this age... prune juice seems really strong for a newborn. if you overdo the prune juice, your baby may experience cramps and stuff, so be careful.

bella123

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:14 pm
I was told once a week normal for many babies. I would leave it a few more days.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:17 pm
With a baby this age (under 2 weeks) you should be concerned that they are not nursing properly. Does he have wet diapers? Have him weighed and see a lactation consultant. It isn't constipation at this age, it might be not eating (especially if no wet diapers, and they are irrelevant if you've given water too) - it might be an emergency. Do not wait.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:17 pm
bella123 wrote:
I was told once a week normal for many babies. I would leave it a few more days.

All this is correct after two weeks old.

mltjm

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
mltjm wrote:
amother wrote:
HTH!

shock shock shock

Yes, my doctor told me to everything that I wrote since he was so constipated that when he was 5 days old there was blood in his diaper from him pushing so much. I was a first time mom and went crying to the pediatrician because I was so scared. A thermometer that is made to test a baby's temp rectally you wouldn't put in his tush? My dr said use that or a q-tip (both first dip in Vaseline so it goes up smooth) because a q-tip is disposable so less mess.

To take the temperature yes. To induce a BM? I would find a new pediatrician.

gold21

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 4:20 pm
yes, a thermometer is recommended to cause a bowel movement in a baby IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS.

just like you shouldnt take someone else's halachic psak as your own, dont take someone else's medical advice as your own.

ask your doctor.

hop613

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 4:40 pm
Call your Dr.-they should be happy to help you out.

My breastfed baby pooped once every 10-14 days, BUT that only started after he had gotten all the meconium and early poops out of his system.

It can't hurt to call

cubbie

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 5:15 pm
Call the doctor

Do not take any advise from random people on the internet about a 4 day old baby
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics