Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Can you recommend a good mystery book or legal thriller?
1  2  3  Next

blokus

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 1:58 pm
Yes, I've read nearly all of Grisham's books Smile

melbee

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 2:21 pm
I just finished The Reversal by Michael Connelly and liked it a lot.

I also recently read The Confession by Grisham (his newest one I think). If you can deal with some anti-death penalty rants, it's a very good read.

GramaNewYork

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 2:56 pm
A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer is a great book. I loved it and so did my husband and best friend. Clean and very well written. Will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Motic11

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 3:00 pm
Have you read any Harlan Coben books?
Tell no one is a good one to start with.

cking

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 4:06 pm
The Judge is excellent, and written by a frum author/perspective - her name is Libby Laszewnik (not sure of spelling).

may2010

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 4:09 pm
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn RanD

das

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 4:25 pm
61 Hours and Worth Dying For by Lee Child part of the Reacher series
Delicous suspense

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 4:38 pm
Since I guess you want secular books, here are some authors off the top of my head:
-Richard Lupoff, the Marvia Plum and Bart Lindsey books (not essential to read in order, except for the last two: don't read those till you've read a few)
-Cathy Pickens, who is a lawyer and writes about one
-Mark Arsenault - Spiked, can't remember the other titles
-Stuart Kaminsky's Lieberman books'
-Sharyn McCrumb - the Elizabeth McPherson books, the Appalachian books, the NASCAR ones, all good reads
-Alexander McCall Smith - elegant, spare writing (Though read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society instead of La's Orchestra Saves the World)
-Tamar Myers started in a whole different direction: The Witch Doctor's Wife and The Headhunter's Daughter are great reads with a mystery/suspense feel
-Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow books. Lighter, fun.

I'll remember more later, add to this if I can.

By the way, I don't offer these as "If you like Grisham you'll love x", just trying to suggest the mystery authors I enjoy most, or that yeah, you might like if you want to branch out a bit.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 4:55 pm
If you like Grisham you're going to love John Lescroart. (pronounced Leskwa)
One of the things I love about his books is that he has some of the same characters in alot of his books (Abe Glitsky - black cop with a Jewish father, Ditmas Hardy - defense lawyer etc.). I really LOVE, love, love his books!

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:20 pm
House Rules by Jodi Picoult - does that count? And her other books.

nycgal

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:31 pm
das wrote:
61 Hours and Worth Dying For by Lee Child part of the Reacher series
Delicous suspense

all the Lee Child books are great reads.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:32 pm
Quote:
Alexander McCall Smith - elegant, spare writing (Though read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society instead of La's Orchestra Saves the World)

the guernesey literary society is NOT by A Mccall Smith. Are you thinking of The no 1. Laadies Detective agency? Nice books with a lot of charm, but very very different to Grisham. The mysteries in them are kind of besides the point.

I second almost any book by Jeffrey Archer. (skip the recent one about the mountain climber) His short stories are great.

I also love a writer called Ruth rendell, also goes by Barbara Vine. Most of her books are great, although I find the wexford books tedious.

Jodi Piccault's books, though interesting, cannot be described as mysteries or legal thrillers.

Agatha Christie is also great, although some are better then others.

bubby

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:12 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

-Alexander McCall Smith - elegant, spare writing (Though read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society instead of La's Orchestra Saves the World)

A BRILLIANT book!!! I loved it!

Try reading the Lincoln Rhyme & Katharine Dance novels by Jeffrey Deaver...great reads!

bubby

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:12 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
One of the things I love about his books is that he has some of the same characters in alot of his books (Abe Glitsky - black cop with a Jewish father, Ditmas Hardy - defense lawyer etc.). I really LOVE, love, love his books!

Thumbs Up

STovah

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:24 pm
bubby wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Thumbs Up

I'll echo the above.

Also, try Richard North Patterson's books - he has excellent legal/political thrillers (which I liked better than Grisham's).

Philip Margolin is good too.

New Mom

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 9:07 pm
"Kite Runner" or "A thousand splendid sons" by Khalid Housseini

mazelandbracha

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 9:18 pm
I love the Linda Fairstein books, and oldie but goodie Perry Mason. J.D. Robb books are great, too, but not exactly highbrow, plus the last couple I think were written by a ghost writer.

staten islander

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 9:23 pm
I cant believe noone mentioned Daniel Silva. He writes about Israeli spies and a lot of the plot is set in Israel.His latest book is the Rembrandt Affair.Prior to that is Moscow Rules and The Defector

Stepmum

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 3:31 am
I second Jeffrey Deaver - one of my all time favourites..

Also, although I've only read one of his books, I'm waiting to get my hands on the rest of C.J. Sansom's books: main character is a lawyer, set in the 17th/18th century in England, so historical fiction too. I'm been reprimanded for not starting from the beginning of the series, so do that Smile

Gerbera

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 6:30 am
I'd also definitely recommend Harlen Coben and Daniel Silva!

Brad Meltzer is great - just read his latest book called "The Inner Circle". Loved "The Tenth Justice"

William Bernhardt - has a whole bunch of legal thrillers featuring the same character Ben Kincaid
Primary Justice, Blind Justice, Deadly Justice, Perfect Justice, etc

David Balducci - love his stuff
The Winner, Simple Truth, Camel Club books, Saving Faith, Last Man Standing, Hour Game, Split Second, etc

Lisa Scottoline - if you are looking for legal thrillers
Final Appeal, Running from the Law, Rough Justice, etc - most feature the same character

Perri O'Shaughnessy - also legal - features same characters
Motion to Strike, Writ of Execution, Act of Malice, etc

Jon Land - has a few set in Israel
Walls of Jericho, The Blue Widows, Pillar of Solomon, etc

Laura von Wormer

Catherine Coulter - features same characters - FBI agents -I really like them
The Cove, The Maze, The Target, Double Take, Tail Spin, etc
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room