Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Need Help With Sushi Rice!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:15 am
I've been making sushi for years - I follow the rice instruction 100%, but my rice never has the right taste and texture.

Any tips and recipes are welcome!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:16 am
Theres a special sushi vinegar, do you use that?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:22 am
Of course! And sugar.

ceo

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:29 am
send a PM to stem!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:32 am
Maybe you should buy a small rice cooker, they aren't expensive.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:37 am
It doesn't seem to be necessary. I went somewhere for Shabbos once and they served sushi. The rice was great, and he didn't use a rice cooker. If I buy a pot, it'll end up with the rest of the pots that I've purchased during the last year - in storage and waiting to be toiveled!

I'm determined to figure out how to make this rice with a regular pot!

I wish that Near East made sushi rice! That brand seems to be the only rice I'm capable of making without destroying. Oh, did I mention that I have problems with making almost any type of rice that's not Near East brand (or some semi-instant no brainer type).

Last edited by DefyGravity on Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

nicole81

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:38 am
I don't use sushi vinegar, I use this recipe:

combine 1/3 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir to dissolve everything, and remove from heat.

And use 1T of it per cup of cooked rice. It tastes right to me.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:42 am
Well you can try this.

Boil the rice with the water, and simmer as usual. When it is ready turn off the heat but do not remove the lid, let it sit for a little while.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:47 am
Nicole, I saw a similar recipe online using rice vinegar. Maybe I'll try that next time.

At least when I made the rice yesterday, the texture was better than usual. Maybe this time I'll get the flavor down.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:51 am
That's what its called! Rice vinegar! It totally went out of my head....

stem

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:21 am
I use 3 cups rice with a little more then 4 cups water. It makes 8 rolls. I'm not sure how it would translate to a smaller amount, though. I make the rice vinegar/salt/sugar mixture separately and then pour it over the cooked rice.

chen

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:32 am
what kind of rice are you using? ordinary long grain white rice is not the same. you want the short-grain glutinous rice.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:34 am
tehre is a rice called sushi rice

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:38 am
I always use sushi rice.
I think the main problem is that I didn't dissolve everything in water first.

stem

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:40 am
Nashiki rice, found the "world market" isle (spelling?) of your local supermarket

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:51 pm
Here is a good demo video.

http://www.eatsushi.com/demos.asp

Seraph

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 10:57 pm
I know this was a long time ago, but I just have to add my imput. I make this kind of rice all the time and it comes out great.

Sushi Rice (risotto)-
Wash the rice in a strainer (if you're afraid it'll go through the holes, use a cheese cloth inside the strainer, and put the rice inside of that. Wash a few times, and then let it sit for a half an hour to an hour.
Then add to pot. I use 3 cups sushi rice to 4.25 cups water. Bring to a boil uncovered. Once it boils, cover, and put it on medium/low heat for 15 mins. (Don't lift the lid.)
Remove from stove, let sit in cooler place for 15 mins without picking up the lid. (No touching the lid once you put it on after the rice boils.)
Meanwhile, mix 1/3 cup white vinegar, 3 tbs sugar, 1 tsp salt, and heat it up until the sugar disolves. Let it cool. Drizzle onto the rice while the rice is still hot (but vinegar is cold, and after those 15 mins of letting it sit covered.) Fold in- meaning use a spoon but the side of the spoon, so as to not mush up the rice.
Let cool a bit.
Bi'te'avon!!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 6:55 am
DD follows the instructins on the box and uses the rice steamer.

BennysMommy

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 9:41 am
I usually make sushi rice with plain rice vinegar. I only have the seasoned rice vinegar now...anyone ever try that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics