Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Matzo balls from OAT Matzo

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:42 am
I am making matzo balls from oat matzo for a gluten-free family member. Has anyone done this before, and must I do anything special other than a direct substitution?

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 11:34 am
I used my regular recipe and they appeared fine, and the consistency looked fine, but the taste was WRONG. Oat matzah tastes much stronger than wheat, and the matzah balls were wayy to reminiscent of quaker oatmeal mush than of knaidelach.

We use a non-gebrucks mashed potato flakes recipe as a result.

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:50 pm
cbsmommy wrote:
I used my regular recipe and they appeared fine, and the consistency looked fine, but the taste was WRONG. Oat matzah tastes much stronger than wheat, and the matzah balls were wayy to reminiscent of quaker oatmeal mush than of knaidelach.

We use a non-gebrucks mashed potato flakes recipe as a result.

That's a wonderful idea, I bet very tasty. If you have time to share that recipe it would be MOST appreciated! I will try to find a recipe by googling too, but would prefer a tried-and-true one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics