Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
To My therapist..
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 1:34 pm
My therapist's reaction to this poem? 'It's too loving' and 'it's a fantasy'.....

-Debra

robynm

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
My therapist's reaction to this poem? 'It's too loving' and 'it's a fantasy'.....

-Debra

did it hurt to hear that? did u guyz talk about it after she read it?

and debra, im sorry to say that I would have said the same thing

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:

-Debra

Interesting. Did the therapist discuss it with you? A therapist should be able to handle this.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 2:18 pm
robyn, if u thought so y didn't u say anything?

we did discuss it briefly. It hurt anyway. I see what she's saying in a way...

-Debra

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
robyn, if u thought so y didn't u say anything?

we did discuss it briefly. It hurt anyway. I see what she's saying in a way...

-Debra

It seems to me your therapist doesn't know much about transference.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 2:27 pm
I think she does. we just had fifteen min to discuss this. I don't know I'll bring it up next time. she already mentioned transference previously to me.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
I think she does. we just had fifteen min to discuss this. I don't know I'll bring it up next time. she already mentioned transference previously to me.

Not discussing it might leave you feeling hurt and as if this wasn't put to rest.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 2:33 pm
r u a therapist?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
r u a therapist?

No.

robynm

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 5:37 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:
r u a therapist?

No.

those of us that have been through therapy know plenty about transference

debra, feel free to PM me

im sorry I didnt mention it b4, I didnt want to upset you. I still stand by my feelings that its good to share it with your therapist.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 5:48 pm
robynm wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:
r u a therapist?

No.

those of us that have been through therapy know plenty about transference
I'm not sure how my response prompted your response.

robynm

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 6:15 pm
I'm sorry. I wasn't referring to u specifically, it was meant to be more general. Don't know why I quoted you.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 11:53 pm
If u know about transference, explain it to me please robyn.

-Debra

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 4:56 am
Transference

Google transference, or what does transference mean to get more of a 'feel' for how it applies to you.

robynm

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
If u know about transference, explain it to me please robyn.

-Debra

In a therapy context, transference refers to redirection of a patient's feelings for a significant person to the therapist. Transference is often manifested as an [inappropriate] attraction towards a therapist, but can be seen in many other forms such as rage, hatred, mistrust, parentification, extreme dependence, or even placing the therapist in a god-like or guru status. When Freud initially encountered transference in his therapy with patients, he felt it was an obstacle to treatment success. But what he learned was that the analysis of the transference was actually the work that needed to be done.[citation needed] The focus in psychodynamic psychotherapy is, in large part, the therapist and patient recognizing the transference relationship and exploring the relationship's meaning. Since the transference between patient and therapist happens on an unconscious level, psychodynamic therapists who are largely concerned with a patient's unconscious material use the transference to reveal unresolved conflicts patients have with childhood figures.

Countertransference[6] is defined as redirection of a therapist's feelings toward a patient, or more generally, as a therapist's emotional entanglement with a patient. A therapist's attunement to their own countertransference is nearly as critical as understanding the transference. Not only does this help therapists regulate their emotions in the therapeutic relationship, but it also gives therapists valuable insight into what patients are attempting to elicit in them. For example, a therapist who is s-xually attracted to a patient must understand this as countertransference, and look at how the patient may be eliciting this reaction. Once it has been identified, the therapist can ask the patient what their feelings are toward the therapist, and explore how they relate to unconscious motivations, desires, or fears.

I was actually talking about this with my therapist this morning and we looked it up. let me know what you think. this definition is from wikipedia.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club