Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Secret Ingredient
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chanchy123

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 2:02 am
Garlic - usually fresh, or sauteed onions.

For chicken soup - I add a cube of frozen ginger.

No MSG or soup mixes in our house.

ally

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:04 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
LOL

My now-not-secret ingredients are cinnamon or allspice for meatballs,
kal kugel for yerushalmi kugel (also great for cholent).

I must also confess I use Goodman's onion soup mix on meat, soup, hatzilim etc.

I have been telling everyone about cinnamon in meatballs or bolognese and NOONE believes me! I got the idea from this amazing recipe for 'greek meatballs' which have a bit of cinnamon and cumin in them. It is the perfect compliment...

ally

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:09 am
Dev80 wrote:
IamI wrote:
balsamic vinegar
oh and soy sauce but that's not much of a secret

what kind of things do you balsamic vinegar in? I have some in the house and I love the taste but haven't discovered tons if uses for it

Balsamic caramelized onions - to eat with steak, hot dogs, bread, anything
Salad dressing - Balsamic, dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, or just balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Apparently its supposed to be heaven with fresh strawberries but I haven't tried.

culinaryk

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 7:01 am
The secret to great chicken soup (in my opinion) is to put a piece or 2 of flanken in it. Also you should use filtered water, it makes a big difference.

mosma

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:48 am
culinaryk wrote:
The secret to great chicken soup (in my opinion) is to put a piece or 2 of flanken in it. Also you should use filtered water, it makes a big difference.

I do the flanken thing when I can afford it. also I put in a whole tomato. makes it taste amazing and gives it a beautiful golden color.

my secret ingredient is spice select's southwest sizzle seasoning for my cholent. it's just that and salt and ketchup and brown sugar. amazing. although it's almost empty and amazing savings has no more...what to do? Confused

Sherri

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:53 am
mosma wrote:
culinaryk wrote:

I do the flanken thing when I can afford it. also I put in a whole tomato. makes it taste amazing and gives it a beautiful golden color.

my secret ingredient is spice select's southwest sizzle seasoning for my cholent. it's just that and salt and ketchup and brown sugar. amazing. although it's almost empty and amazing savings has no more...what to do? Confused
http://www.columbiaspice.com/spsebl16ozco.html

mosma

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:58 am
Sherri wrote:
mosma wrote:
culinaryk wrote:

http://www.columbiaspice.com/spsebl16ozco.html

thanks! I actually found that last week but not sure if I want to pay for shipping...

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 10:03 am
[quote="chanchy123"]Garlic - usually fresh, or sauteed onions.

For chicken soup - I add a cube of frozen ginger.]

And ginger in kneidlach. (I haven't tried it in soup. Parsnip and dill - usually dill seed - is a must in my chicken soups.)

est

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:00 am
mrs. bissli - please can u post ur recipe for yerushalmi kugel. I have some kal kugel I would like to use up...
thanks.

shevi82

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:14 am
Sauteed onions in everthing I make.

jflower

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:25 am
sweet potato in chicken soup gives it delicious flavor and golden color.

CatLady

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:27 am
Nobody's said it yet, so...

The secret ingredient is looooove!

And freshly-ground black pepper.

But mostly looooooove.

(PS: If you haven't tried balsamic vinegar on strawberries, do it! Especially for those out-of-season strawberries that are all appearance and no taste.)

dGirl

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:29 am
Applesauce in almost every dessert I bake, rather than oil.

shabri

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:31 am
garlic salt--I use it in so many things

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:32 am
nutmeg in lasagna
raisins in italian meatballs (perfect and juicy!)

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:41 am
mosma wrote:
culinaryk wrote:

The whole tomato in chicken soup was my secret ingredient!!! Thought no one else did that! But it makes the soup delish!

intrigued

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 2:55 pm
Dill.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:24 pm
instant potato flakes into my soup - to assist in thickening it up if too liquidy

saw50st8

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:27 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
mosma wrote:
culinaryk wrote:

The whole tomato in chicken soup was my secret ingredient!!! Thought no one else did that! But it makes the soup delish!

I do that too, but my chicken soup recipe is just chicken, water, tomatoes salt and pepper LOL.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:56 pm
est wrote:
mrs. bissli - please can u post ur recipe for yerushalmi kugel. I have some kal kugel I would like to use up...
thanks.

1 pkg THIN egg noodles (I usually use manischewitz)
3 large or 4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
4 tbsp Kal Kugel (I sometimes use a bit more)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (from which 2tbsp is used for coating noodles, 1tbsp for greasing the pan)
1/4 cup sugar (my family doesn't like it sweet. You can use as much as 1/2 cup)
a pinch of salt
generous grinding of black pepper

Cook noodles according to instruction, making sure you don't overcook. Drain well once cooked and coat with 2 tbsps oil. Preheat oven to 170C and grease a square foil baking pan (I think it's 9x9--the standard square one they have in the store). Mix the rest of ingredients (eggs, Kal Kugel, rest of oil, sugar, salt, pepper) and mix into noodles (make sure it's not boiling hot). Tip into the baking pan and cook for 45min to 1hr till a toothpick in center comes out clean.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics