Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Anyone have any great recipe for QUINOA?
1  2  Next

flyingmum

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 9:33 am
I bought a packed of quinoa because I heared it's supposed to be healthy.
And I thought I'll give it a try. Get a change from rice and couscous. But I'm not sure how to cook it.
Anyone can help??

rovacat

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 9:54 am
quinoa's great. cook it like rice. 2:1 ratio quinoa to water. once it boils, turn off flame or keep it on really low until there's no water left.
I like it with fried onions and soy sauce, or just soy sauce. it's good hot and cold. sometimes I mix in red lentils and cook it together and it's soo good. dh looooves it! he eats it with olive oil. you can mix in nuts, raisons, cinnamon..experiment and enjoy. the bracha is hoadama bec. it's related to spinach

newlymarried

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:10 am
Make sure you rinse it very well before you cook it, otherwise it is bitter.
I sauteed chopped onions, leeks and celery, add the rinsed quinoa, and then add boiling water and let it simmer until the water is gone.

flyingmum

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:23 am
thanks for your replies.
I actually cooked some last week very plain though and I did rinse it very well, but I still had that bitter taste.
I think I'll try some of your ideas. onions and soy sauce sounds great and easy.
thanks Smile

Merrymom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:01 am
I had some with either lemon or lime juice and some vegetables. It tasted amazing. If anyone has this recipe please post.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:04 am
I make tabouli salad with it (diced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, chopped mint and parsley, salt, pepper, lemon juice, oil).

I use it all year round and on Pesach.

culinaryk

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:12 am
I also have a recipe for tabbouleh salad.
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....d/695

Merrymom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:12 am
YESHASettler wrote:
I make tabouli salad with it (diced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, chopped mint and parsley, salt, pepper, lemon juice, oil).

I use it all year round and on Pesach.

That sounds similar but this had some other vegetables, no mint, and no onions. It sounds delicious though. I have a bag in my pantry that I've been holding onto. Now that Pesach's coming I've got to use up all those weird things that I buy but stick in the back and forget about.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:50 am
Definately make it into a salad with vegetables. That's how quinoa tastes best. And don't forget to dress it with lemon, olive oil, a touch of fresh garlic, salt and pepper.

zigi

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:54 am
dh makes it with 3 cloves of garlic and 2 table spoons of oil and some salt to taste

rivk241

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 1:06 pm
I make it really healthy... I fry onions with squash and peppers with whatever spices you like, mix with cooked quinia and some feta cheese- melt the feta cheese delicious and healthy!

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 1:28 pm
is quinoa supposed to get soft, or does it stay crunchy? DH and I really did not enjoy it the one time I made it. I did rinse it befrehand, and cooked it til all the water was absorbed, but it was still very crunchy....

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 1:43 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
is quinoa supposed to get soft, or does it stay crunchy? DH and I really did not enjoy it the one time I made it. I did rinse it befrehand, and cooked it til all the water was absorbed, but it was still very crunchy....
Soft.
Follow package directions exactly.
The add chopped vegetables, fresh herbs, crushed garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
(First time I tried making quinoa a couple of years ago with just spices to taste, we also did NOT like it.)

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 2:11 pm
I got this recipe from vegetarian Times - I make it in a clear glass and serve it for Shabbos at the start of the fish course (also great for sheva brochas).

Also the quinoa from this recipe is delicious - without avocado & sprouts...

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11315

These light, chilled verrines are a great appetizer to serve before a hearty meal because they won’t fill you up. Red quinoa makes the presentation extra eye-catching, but you also can use regular quinoa or steamed couscous or bulgur.

Ingredient List

Serves 8

* 1/3 cup red quinoa
* 1/2 tsp. chili powder, divided
* 3 tsp. lime juice, divided
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* 1 ripe avocado (6.5 oz.)
* 2–3 drops Tabasco sauce
* 1/3 cup alfalfa, broccoli, or leek sprouts

Directions
1. Bring quinoa, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, and 1 cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed.
2. Whisk together 2 tsp. lime juice, oil, and remaining 1/4 tsp. chili powder in bowl. Add quinoa, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Divide quinoa among glasses. (Recipe can be prepared ahead up to this point; cover, and refrigerate up to 24 hours.)
4. Dice avocado, season with salt and pepper (if desired), and toss with Tabasco sauce and remaining 1 tsp. lime juice.
5. Divide avocado among glasses, and top each with pinch of sprouts. Serve immediately, with small forks or spoons.
Nutritional Information

Per 1/3-cup verrine: Calories: 66, Protein: 1g, Total fat: 4g, Saturated fat: <1g, Carbs: 7g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 5mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: <1g

notme

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 5:19 pm
I add little pieces of mango and craisins then dress it with olive oil, salt and lime juice.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 5:10 am
I just made an AMAZING quinoa casserole last week:

1 c. quinoa
2 c. water + 2 Tbsp. chicken soup mix

Fry 1 large onion in a little oil and when it's soft, add the raw quinoa and water and cook until water is absorbed. Cook like it says on the package after you fry the onion - you can do it in the same pot.

After the quinoa is ready, season it with a drop of soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. I then poured a can of chili flavored kidney beans with the juice over that and sprinkled cheese all over it. Stick it in the oven until it is warmed through and cheesy is bubbly. This is SO yum!! Make sure that you mix your portion so that the quinoa gets all cheesey...my mouth is watering! LOL

flyingmum

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 5:06 am
What am I doing wrong?????

I rinsed it very very very well then I cooked it for at least half an hour (1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water) and it still had a little crunch to it.
I flavored it well with soy sauce, fried onions a little sugar but it still had a little bitter taste in the backround.

My DH loved it though LOL
but I didn't Confused

bashabelle

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 8:15 am
I think quinoa is supposed to have a little bit of crunch(or pop) to it, otherwise its really overcooked. But if you like it mushy, you could add a little more water and cook for longer.

flyingmum

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 8:26 am
thanks.

About the bitter taste I read somewhere that one should soak them and then rinse very well in a fine sieve.
I did that but didn't help. I guess with all the flavouring it covers up that funny taste a little

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 5:11 pm
flyingmum wrote:
thanks.

About the bitter taste I read somewhere that one should soak them and then rinse very well in a fine sieve.
I did that but didn't help. I guess with all the flavouring it covers up that funny taste a little
In addition to the thorough rinsing, it needs to be mixed with a chunky salad, lemon, and olive oil, to get rid of that 'taste'. Then it comes out yummy.
Spices to taste just doesn't cut it for my family when it comes to quinoa.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen