Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Great Salmon or Tuna Quiche recipe
Previous  1  2  3  Next

desertrose

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 2:54 pm
Sometimes I add mushrooms to the fried onions and it tastes very good.

user613

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 3:46 am
Is this best served hot or cold?

mandksima

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:07 am
We always eat it cold or room temp.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 1:50 pm
I want to make this for supper tonight (salmon). Can I use water instead of parve milk? I know it won't be exactly the same, but will it still be ok?

checkbefore

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 2:14 pm
Do you need to add the onion? Can I just add onion powder to the mix or just omit?

mandksima

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 4:58 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I want to make this for supper tonight (salmon). Can I use water instead of parve milk? I know it won't be exactly the same, but will it still be ok?

I can't answer that because I never tried it. I usually have a few kinds of pareve milk around. You can try it and let us know! How bad could it be?

mandksima

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 5:01 pm
checkbefore wrote:
Do you need to add the onion? Can I just add onion powder to the mix or just omit?

It is really the best part and the "secret ingredient." It gives it such a lovely flavor! You can do what you want but onion powder is not to replace that flavor. It would be fine with some onion powder added in, I'm sure but you will have a different tasting quiche. The crust you can do without but try not to skip the fried onion.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 5:01 pm
I did it with parve milk and it was great. only thing was that I was the only one who ate it. its not my kids thing.

smss

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 10:45 am
mandksima, have you found canned salmon in israel? where? what's the brand?

mandksima

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 4:00 pm
I have seen it here in stores near me. In Yad Yitzchak (Yeinot Beitan) and I'm sure Chatzi Chinam would have it. Stores that carry lots of American products would also have it. It would be expensive here, probably 15-20 shekels a can. I did buy it once here shortly after I made aliyah. My MIL brings me canned salmon once in a while and I use that but I actually prefer it with tuna. I would not remember a brand, sorry!

You could, of course, use fresh or frozen salmon, poach it, flake it and use in its place. That makes an inexpensive dish pretty pricey though.

forever21

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 8:20 pm
I made the tuna quiche 2nt w/o the pie crust and my kids loved it too! Escpet of course for the onions. I put panko crumbs on top and it added a nice crunch to it.

Youdi

Post Thu, Nov 01 2012, 1:22 pm
I hope my husband likes it he is so picky and I want to eat some fish on shabbas and am looking for new alternatives to fish meal other than just salad

beckster

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 3:18 pm
Just made this and we all loved it.
Instead of frying the oniions I cut it into small pieces and put it on the bottom of the pan with a tiny bit of oilive oil. I also used spicy brown mustard instead of regular and I made it crustless.
Thanks for posting

Brownies

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 4:41 pm
Looks great and I really want to try it...do you know if it freezes well? Thanks!

Inspired

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 10:01 am
Just to update I made this for shabbos (tuna) as a first course and it was a hit. Even though some of the guests were like "what's a tuna quiche?" I told them its like pie, if they don't like calling something with tuna a pie they can call it a kugel. One guy insisted on calling it the "tuna thingie" He asked for it to be passed to him a few times....

Thanks!

AZmom09

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 12:47 pm
I make this also, it's really good, but I do without the lemon juice and mustard. We don't like it to be tangy tasting.

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:08 pm
forever21 wrote:
I made the tuna quiche 2nt w/o the pie crust and my kids loved it too! Escpet of course for the onions. I put panko crumbs on top and it added a nice crunch to it.

Panko crumbs sounds like a great addition, thanks for the tip!

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:09 pm
Youdi wrote:
I hope my husband likes it he is so picky and I want to eat some fish on shabbas and am looking for new alternatives to fish meal other than just salad

Did he like it?

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:10 pm
beckster wrote:
Just made this and we all loved it.
Instead of frying the oniions I cut it into small pieces and put it on the bottom of the pan with a tiny bit of oilive oil. I also used spicy brown mustard instead of regular and I made it crustless.
Thanks for posting

Good to know it will come out good that way too!

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:12 pm
Dotty wrote:
Looks great and I really want to try it...do you know if it freezes well? Thanks!

I have never frozen it but I have frozen the crust separately as well as the fried onions separately to save time as those are the time consuming parts. Once those are done, the pie takes minutes to prepare and you just need baking time. I am sure it tastes better fresh if you can do it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics