Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!
Previous  1  2

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:19 pm
There are many factors that can contribute to eating problems. My ds was a terrible eater because he was unable to chew and suck properly. However, if your child used to be a better eater, then it is probably sensory. It's great that he likes the formula. Keep on giving it to him, at least until he's over with this rough time. Get an OT evaluation, and keep in mind that if he qualifies for OT, then he only has to have a 25% delay in speech to get that too, as opposed to the 33% delay that is required if it's his only therapy.

sporty

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:28 pm
Thanks -
He was never a better eater so it's not that....in fact when I first introduced the pureeds at around 6 months he cried a lot and viewed meal time as torture. I spoke to the ped about it then and he said keep trying. So I did and after a little he started to like it. Now he wont give up pureeds and go on to solids. He shows an interest in solids but wont make it a meal. He doesn't like little broken pieces of food on his tray, they end up on the floor. He would like to hold something and bite it but it's hard for me to find foods he can safely do that with.
He ate a choc chip cookie a few weeks ago and some challah...

How do I go about getting an OT if I am going to have him looked at privately?

If it is sensory, how does therapy for that work? Will an OT be able to get him to eat?

We actually did see a pediatric GI with him. His advice was to give him powder fiber and to see if he eats better with that - he felt maybe my son has nausea and that is why he gags on solids. I never did it though because he goes very regularly and it just didn't seem to be the cause.

sporty

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:31 pm
Oh by the way he is doing well on the toddler formula at least.
My ped said I can do that for a few months and then revisit the cups and the milk at 15 months so for the next few months we'll stay with the bottles and the formula.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 9:11 am
I think more important than eating perse is developing a desire to eat. If you're desire is way above and beyond his....then a power struggle develops. Your son will associate eating with PRESSURE. I think OT is the best idea here....to help your little son with his sensitivity in a way that is really helpful.

I have found that kids have their own little quirks with eating but if you just let go a little and not stress too much over it, and just have food available....the child will eat. Especially if you allow the child to eat what he likes.

Don't worry right now if he has inside of him something from every food group etc....that's really insignificant right now....the main thing is to get him to enjoy food. And that is done by taking a few steps back, tuning in to what he likes, and pursuing ot for his sensitivity.

You sound like a great mom that wants everything right for her son! Sometimes the biggest love we show is by not making things perfect but workable. Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics