Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO Chicken+rice in the oven

SV

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:36 am
I've made this once but I think I could benefit from a (more) exact recipe since my rice was a bit crunchy.

What is the ratio of water to rice? (I use white rice)
Do you bake it covered or uncovered?
How long do you bake it for?
Approximate amount of salt/pepper/soup mix per cup of rice?

TIA!

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:38 am
I don't have the answer for u but I'd also like to know what the ratios are. I had chicken and rice made in the oven recently and it was amaaaaziinggg...

suzyq

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:41 am
This is my recipe -

I spread rice (about a cup) on the bottom of the pan. I then take an onion and a can of mushrooms and spread them on top of the rice. On top of that, I put pieces of chicken (I usually use thighs and take the skin off, but you could leave the skin on and use whatever pieces you want). On top of the chicken, I sprinkle pepper and garlic and some onion soup mix. Then I take two cans of condensed mushroom soup and one can of water and pour it all on top. Cook covered for 1-1/2 hours at 350, then uncover, sprinkle some paprika on top and cook for another half hour. It's absolutely delicious and it's a main and side dish in one.

yummydd

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:42 am
I am not sure how much water you would put when making chicken and rice together, but I make rice in the oven with the folowing recipe: (its yum btw)
1 cup rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 oil
2 tbsp onion soup mix
salt
pepper
paprika
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 can mushroom

bake closed about 50 mins - (may need additional 10 mins or so)

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:44 am
that sounds good - not sure we can get condensed soup in Israel - anyone seen any?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:51 am
I use 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 7:05 am
My family likes the rice to be more "mushy". I take 1 cup of rice and put into a 9X13 pan; sprinkle on some salt over the rice; lay chicken pieces (4) over rice; sprinkle chicken pieces generously with parika, garlic powder, and onion powder; add 3 cups of water, being careful not to pour over the chicken so the spices stay put.

Cover with foil sealing edges tightly so no water/steam escapes. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until chicken is done as desired.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 1:52 pm
If you like mushy rice and soft chicken (sometimes we do, sometimes we don't), use
-1 cup rice
-salt and spices spices
-2 cups water
-1 chicken, cut up
-spices

Place rice in 9x13 pan. Add 2 cups of water. Season generously with salt and spices.
Top with 4 chicken bottoms or 1 chicken cut up.
Season chicken underneath skin and on top of skin generously with (salt and) spices.
Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 2-1/2 hours.

If you don't like mushy rice, and would like dinner to be ready in the usual 1-1/2 hours it takes to cook chicken, use parboiled / quick cooking rice and bake uncovered to get nicely browned chicken.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

IloveHashem613

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:25 pm
suzyq wrote:
This is my recipe -

I spread rice (about a cup) on the bottom of the pan. I then take an onion and a can of mushrooms and spread them on top of the rice. On top of that, I put pieces of chicken (I usually use thighs and take the skin off, but you could leave the skin on and use whatever pieces you want). On top of the chicken, I sprinkle pepper and garlic and some onion soup mix. Then I take two cans of condensed mushroom soup and one can of water and pour it all on top. Cook covered for 1-1/2 hours at 350, then uncover, sprinkle some paprika on top and cook for another half hour. It's absolutely delicious and it's a main and side dish in one.

do u use brown rice or white rice?

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you like mushy rice and soft chicken (sometimes we do, sometimes we don't), use
-1 cup rice
-salt and spices spices
-2 cups water
-1 chicken, cut up
-spices

Place rice in 9x13 pan. Add 2 cups of water. Season generously with and spices.
Season chicken underneath skin and on top of skin generously with salt and spices.
Cover tightly and bake at 2-1/2 hours at 350.

I did this, except I between the rice and chicken I put a layer of thick zucchini slices and sprinkled onion soup mix over each layer. it was pure comfort food. the entire family enjoyed it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:42 pm
The trick for fluffy, instead of mushy or crunchy, rice is to presoak the rice before cooking. I soak mine about 20-30min, use 1.5 part water to 1 part rice for brown rice, more like 1.2 part water to 1 part rice. (Admittedly my oven is fan-assisted so water tends to evaporate a bit faster). I've posted tebeet recipes a while ago--that cooks overnight for shabbat lunch.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:27 pm
nicole81 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
-1 cup rice
-salt and spices spices
-2 cups water
-1 chicken, cut up
-spices

Place rice in 9x13 pan. Add 2 cups of water. Season generously with and spices.
Season chicken underneath skin and on top of skin generously with salt and spices.
Cover tightly and bake at 2-1/2 hours at 350.
I did this, except I between the rice and chicken I put a layer of thick zucchini slices and sprinkled onion soup mix over each layer. it was pure comfort food. the entire family enjoyed it.
That sounds delicious!

slushiemom

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 8:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
-1 cup rice
-salt and spices spices
-2 cups water
-1 chicken, cut up
-spices

Place rice in 9x13 pan. Add 2 cups of water. Season generously with salt and spices.
Season chicken underneath skin and on top of skin generously with (salt and) spices.
Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 2-1/2 hours.

If you don't like mushy rice, and would like dinner to be ready in the usual 1-1/2 hours it takes to cook chicken, use parboiled / quick cooking rice and bake uncovered to get nicely browned chicken.

Just put this in the oven ra- mom, thanks!

sunny90

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 5:29 am
So how much water would you need to put for brown rice?

NativeMom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 5:33 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I use 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water.

same here and it's covered

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 3:46 pm
sunny90 wrote:
If you are baking it under chicken in a covered pan, use the same ratio; 1 cup rice, 2 cups water.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 4:07 pm
the chicken, depending on what kind you are using, releases a lot of fat into the pan. you might need less water.

sunny90

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 2:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
sunny90 wrote:
If you are baking it under chicken in a covered pan, use the same ratio; 1 cup rice, 2 cups water.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey