Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Detroit from NYC
1  2  Next

ray379

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 9:56 pm
Hi all,
We'll be moving in a little under a year to Detroit for my husband's work. I was hoping someone could give me some advice. General advice is definitely welcome, and specifically, what's the difference between Southfield and Oak Park? We're a young couple with two little kids, orthodox, not yeshivish or modern orthodox. I know it's hard to generalize, but I've never even been to Detroit and it's a bit scary, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:05 pm
Southfield is slightly more expensive. Also different groups live in different areas. North Oak Park is where lots of kollel people live, but not only kollel. Plenty of other people there too. South Oak Park is more where the Yeshiva is (and the part of Southfield directly across the street from the Yeshiva is also mostly Yeshivish people). Southfield (near 10 Mile and Lincoln) is a whole mix of people. The area of Southfield closer to 11-12 Mile & Lahser is more Young Israel/MO kind of people. (This is major generalizing, btw). Not sure what other advice you want.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:11 pm
oak Park and Southfield are right next to each other. There are actually two parts of Southfield, one which is referred to as South Park (since it's very close to Oak Park) and the other part of Southfield is referred to as Young Israel Of Southfield Area, which is about four miles away from Oak Park and South Park.

Young Israel of Southfield has a small number of young couples (probably 8 couples under 30), all of which are modern orthodox. Oak Park and South Park have significantly more young families and are comprised of Yeshivish, Baalabatish, and modern orthodox. There are lots of shuls in Oak Park and South Park but only one in Young Israel of Southfield area, but I'm not going to say what it's called......... (I'm sure you'll figure it out though.)

You may hear people say that Oak Park is more yeshivishe than Southfield, which is only true because YI of Southfield is COMPLETELY modern orthodox, and because there is a part of Oak Park, commonly referred to as the Ghetto (also known as South of Ten) which is very Yeshivishe and is right next to the Yeshiva Gedola, whichis also quite yeshivish. But there are lots of middle-of-the-road, learner-earners, and modern orthodox people in Oak Park/South Park as well.

TIP: If you hear Southfield streets such as Jeanette, Goldwin, Southwood, Sherfield, Hilton, Woodvilla, Adrian, Kingshire, that is South Park. Streets with names that are related to Independence Day are for the most part YI of Southfield area, except for George Washington, Martha Washington, Maryland, and others that I can't think of, which are South Park south of Ten. (I know - for such a small city, we have lots of areas with confusing names.)

If you take a pilot trip to YI Southfield area, you only have one option to daven at and they will try to convince you to move there. If you take a pilot trip to Oak Park/South Park, I'd suggest you go to Ahavas Olam (also known as the MIkvah Minyan, since they took over the Mikvah building when the mikvah moved), and Young Israel, which is right next to Ahavas Olam, and also check out Dovid Ben Nochum Aish Kodesh, where a lot of young families recently moved, so you'll meet a lot of young people there.

Any other questions?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:16 pm
All I can say is DONT DO IT. it is an extremely hard transition from NY to detroit and if you have never been there you have no clue what you are getting yourself into.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
All I can say is DONT DO IT. it is an extremely hard transition from NY to detroit and if you have never been there you have no clue what you are getting yourself into.

First, that's not exactly nice to say since she indicated she's moving here for parnasa. So she may as well try to be positive, something we do well here in out-of-town.

Second, there are lots of NYers that moved here that just love it here. Some of them are close friends of mine. If you're trying to tell her that it's different than NY, say that. If you're trying to say that it's harder to find kosher pizza on Saturday night after midnight, then say that. But "you have no clue what you're getting yourslef into" doesn't really help her does it?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:29 pm
What is South Park? I've never heard that term.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:35 pm
chaylizi wrote:

I think she's referring to the close Southfield.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:36 pm
chaylizi wrote:

Never heard that term? Really? Did you just move here or something? LOL.

South Park is the term used, especially by YI Of Southfield people, to differentiate between the two Southfields. South Park is a fictional city from a funny cartoon, so it's an appropriate name. It's really just a name for the Oak Park part of Southfield, as opposed to the YI of Southfield part of Southfield.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

South Park is the term used, especially by YI Of Southfield people, to differentiate between the two Southfields. South Park is a fictional city from a funny cartoon, so it's an appropriate name. It's really just a name for the Oak Park part of Southfield, as opposed to the YI of Southfield part of Southfield.

I lived there for years and never heard of of that term. I mean I know what part of Southfield you're talking about but never heard anyone refer to it that way

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:43 pm
I don't call it that but I've heard of it.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
I don't call it that but I've heard of it.

And I know you mean that because you wrote it in RED. Tongue Out

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:52 pm
No, this is a different amother. Just trying to differentiate myself Smile

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:52 pm
Whoops that ^ was me!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

Can I assume you're LOLing because you know the answer to that?

If it's a YI of Southfield term, that's probably why I never heard it. I don't know that many people who live there.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:57 pm
Based on what you've said I think you'd fit right in in North Oak Park or even the "close" Southfield.
South of 10 mile is definitely more yeshivish and frummy and the far southfield is super modern.
I too consider myself just plain frum. (I live in North OP btw)
There are many shuls around but I think Dovid Ben Nuchim/Aish Kodesh or like the other amother mentioned Ahavas Olam (although this one is a hit or miss) sounds about right for you. You'll definitely have to some try some out before you, or rather DH, choose the right one for you.
as for the amother who wrote not to do it. you can't really say that.
It depends on your personality of course but some NYers move here and love it. The pace, the community, the grass Tongue Out but some NYers find it slow and boring and can't deal. Depends on what you value and your preference that's all.
I know many ppl who thought Detroit was sooo boring when they were teens and couldn't wait to get out and move to NY or wherever but when they got married and wanted to settle down and buy a house and live their family life couldn't wait to move back. I'm seeing it more and more...just sayin'
Either way, can't wait to meet you when you get here!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:02 pm
First off I hve never heard the term southpark either and I have lived here for my whole life.
2nd as far as the questions op asked. I would say you would be most comfortable in either southfield or north oak park. When I say southfield I mean the southfield between lincoln and 10 or there are some streets between lincoln and 11 but not alot of young couples there. You dont say if you are looking to buy or rent if you are planning on renting it seriously limits your possibilities. The two main places where people rent apartments are Rue Versaille which is in OP or the Yeshiva apartments next to YBY. You can rent a house but there arent many to rent. I know of 1 in southfield 3 bedroom totally updated for like 1600 a month but im sure there are more.

If you give more idea of what your looking for im sure someone can help u.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
First off I hve never heard the term southpark either and I have lived here for my whole life.
2nd as far as the questions op asked. I would say you would be most comfortable in either southfield or north oak park. When I say southfield I mean the southfield between lincoln and 10 or there are some streets between lincoln and 11 but not alot of young couples there. You dont say if you are looking to buy or rent if you are planning on renting it seriously limits your possibilities. The two main places where people rent apartments are Rue Versaille which is in OP or the Yeshiva apartments next to YBY. You can rent a house but there arent many to rent. I know of 1 in southfield 3 bedroom totally updated for like 1600 a month but im sure there are more.

If you give more idea of what your looking for im sure someone can help u.

There are a few young couples on the other side of lincoln.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:07 pm
Does anyone live in the Briar apartments anymore?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:14 pm
Nope. I started off there and I loved our apt. It's more expensive than the others though.

ray379

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:17 pm
Thank you so much for all of your detailed answers. I really appreciate it. As far as me moving from NY, I grew up in a small suburban area in a tiny shul, and so I'm not "typical" New York. I like the small town feel, though I have to say that I love living in NYC now- there is sooo much to do here with the kids it's great. But we are moving and I am excited about being in a different place with a different pace!

We will probably buy a house, so in a few months I'll definitely be asking for suggestions of real estate agents!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating