Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do in Upstate NY

perquacky

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 1:36 pm
We're driving up to the Finger Lakes region from NYC in August and are looking for interesting things to do/places to stop along the way. Any suggestions? We plan to stay at a motel for one night before we reach our final destination, so we pretty much have the whole day. Things I've come up with so far:

Cooperstown
Howe Caverns
Corning Museum of Glass

happy12

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 1:50 pm
Watkins glen

mommyla

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 2:25 pm
There's a really cool mall in Syracuse, not sure if you'll be near there. http://www.destinyusa.com/ It's huge and has an indoor ropes course, amusement park, Dave & Busters, laser tag, go-carts, bowling...

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 3:11 pm
There are some very pretty waterfalls in Ithaca and right around it, plus Cornell University itself.

etky

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 3:47 pm
Howe Caverns is amazing. There are also scenic train rides that you can do in the same area.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 3:49 pm
There's zip lining http://www.ziplinenewyork.com/

sky

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:08 pm
We've done both Howe Caverns and Watkins Glen (is that in the same area - if it is Letchworth State park with some gorgeous waterfalls is also in the area). They are all worth the trip.

For Howe caverns make sure you dress appropriate. It gets chilly compared to the warm outside weather.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:32 pm
we just went on a beautiful easy hike minnewoska stat park - full of waterfalls and I think they have swimming as well. not sure where it is but google it. its around 20 minutes from ellenville

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:01 pm
I'm not sure if this is close or not but check out Ausable Chasm. The scenery at Ausable is breathtaking-we've been there so many times-and I'd go again!
People call Ausable Chasm "The Grand Canyon of the East."

http://www.ausablechasm.com/
Have fun!

sky

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:24 pm
Ausable Chasm is amazing.

We did the hike and raft combination with my kids it was fantastic. But it is a different direction and further north I think.

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:46 pm
If you are traveling with kids, it is worth the extra but if driving to come to the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester. Even without kids, the glass display cases of toys throughout history are amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics