Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Gave up on WIC -vent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Marigold

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 1:22 am
ra_mom wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
You can freeze the cheese until you find someone to give it to.
Or prepare pans of baked ziti, freeze them, and give them to Kimpeturin in need of suppers.

you can freeze cheese?
I dont have a milchig oven or room in my freezer and have never tasted baked ziti or cooked food for a kimpeturin Very Happy. but it's a nice thought.

If you're looking to give away the cheese... I'll be in Willy next week. Seriously. Smile

Sorry but I asked first.
Paddington Bear wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I am actually happy that they started giving beans and brown rice. I started making a lot of dishes with brown rice, and I have beans for my cholent. we also go through a lot of cornflakes and cheerios and eggs. only the cheese is too much; we dont eat 1/2 as much cheese as they give.

And we eat 4x as much cheese as they give; my neighbors enjoy my boxes of cereal.
(maybe we can swap? Smile )

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 4:04 am
mb, why don't you buy a sandwich toaster? you can make toasted cheese sandwiches for your kids.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 8:57 am
They used to be accommodating in willy as well, but now they are afraid of the law, understandably so. Inspectors dresses as frum jews, or inspectors that ARE frum jews, come in unannounced, and the stores dont want any trouble!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:04 am
Raisin wrote:
mb, why don't you buy a sandwich toaster? you can make toasted cheese sandwiches for your kids.
When? My older kid eats breakfast and lunch in cheder, and supper they eat whatever I make. I should buy a sandwich maker just for the baby?

mommalah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
In Lakewood the heimishe stores let you switch the item if you don't want it for something that equals the same amount. Many times I will buy 2 oj's and a dozen eggs instead of the cheese. Also many times I will take a container of butter instead of milk. I think I get about 20 gallons of milk a month it is no way possible for me to use all this up. Also if I don't want to use the check at once then they told me that as long as I remember I can only take two milks instead of four and take it next time or vice versa take a milk and give them the check the next week.
Also the office is so nice in Lakewood and so accommodating I have no complaints. B"H.

So you and the heimish stores are committing fraud.

STovah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:34 am
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

And yet something else. I work full time. Am I supposed to take off a day every two months to chase my kids around in the WIC waiting room for up to 2 hours so that I can get my checks?

If you are in NY, I believe WIC sites need to be open one late night per week. Some of them have hours as early as 7:30 on certain days of the week as well. I would think that if you make appointments in advance, they'd be able to find a way to accommodate your work schedule. A friend of mine works in a WIC office, and from what she tells me, it seems that a lot of the inefficiences of how the WIC office operates boils down to participants - people who show up to appointments late, people who don't show up and don't call - and then get upset when there is no appointment available for them to come pick up their checks when they want to.

ChanaRochel

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:35 am
mommalah wrote:
amother wrote:
In Lakewood the heimishe stores let you switch the item if you don't want it for something that equals the same amount. Many times I will buy 2 oj's and a dozen eggs instead of the cheese. Also many times I will take a container of butter instead of milk. I think I get about 20 gallons of milk a month it is no way possible for me to use all this up. Also if I don't want to use the check at once then they told me that as long as I remember I can only take two milks instead of four and take it next time or vice versa take a milk and give them the check the next week.
Also the office is so nice in Lakewood and so accommodating I have no complaints. B"H.

DUH!!! Welcome to Lakewood, in many Lakewood heimishe groceries, you merely give in your wic checks, they shotz up the total value of items, then you can buy wtvr you want in the store. I once had a 600$ bill and I paid it off by giving the office my checks every month.

STovah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:35 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin wrote:
When? My older kid eats breakfast and lunch in cheder, and supper they eat whatever I make. I should buy a sandwich maker just for the baby?

I often give my kids grilled cheese for supper - they love it, and they eat it more reliably than chicken. My husband eats it too. You can buy a sandwich maker, and use it to make supper for the whole family.

ChanaRochel

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:37 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Hey, if anyone in Lakewood has leftover milk, formula, or babyfood, let me know! I could use it!

Mirabelle, Most of the leftover milk in Lakewood goes to the shuls and Collels for coffee, how long have you been living here.. Surprised

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:39 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin wrote:

he's in cheder every day of the week/year?

afterschool snack, lunch time when both kids are at home, easy supper on a crazy day. my kids all have lunch at school and come home at 3pm starving.

I only suggested it becasue you said you don't have a milchig oven. they are pretty cheap. I bought mine for less then $10, I think. (a cheap brand) You might find it really useful during the summer.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:40 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin wrote:

How about lunch on Fridays and melaveh malkah? That's what we do with our wic cheese. We bought a sandwich maker, I buy the mozzarella cheese on wic and we have yummy pizza or cheese sandwiches.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:42 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Or for yourself!!!

A whole weat grilled cheese sandwich is not only delicious, it's also healthy.

My DH would be estatic having a gcs every single morning (and me too!!!).

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:58 am
You are all so lucky. We don't get cheese on WIC anymore. I thought it was a nationwide change, but I guess not. Here they decided cheese has too much fat, so we get vouchers for a certain dollar amount of fresh produce. Hey, produce is good, too! I liked the cheese though; in our family we'll eat produce regardless of cost, but cheese is a treat now.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:00 am
Raisin wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin wrote:

he's in cheder every day of the week/year?

afterschool snack, lunch time when both kids are at home, easy supper on a crazy day. my kids all have lunch at school and come home at 3pm starving.

I only suggested it becasue you said you don't have a milchig oven. they are pretty cheap. I bought mine for less then $10, I think. (a cheap brand) You might find it really useful during the summer.
he's in cheder pretty much every day of the year, bar erev yomtov and chol hamoed. But it's not a bad idea to get one.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:22 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
You are all so lucky. We don't get cheese on WIC anymore. I thought it was a nationwide change, but I guess not. Here they decided cheese has too much fat, so we get vouchers for a certain dollar amount of fresh produce. Hey, produce is good, too! I liked the cheese though; in our family we'll eat produce regardless of cost, but cheese is a treat now.

In NYS w e get produce checks too. It's like $6 per child, $10 for mom, I think.

It's pretty much, milk, juice, eggs, ww bread or rolls or brown rice, beans or pb, cereal, cheese, and x amount for produce.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:25 am
Mama Bear wrote:
he's in cheder pretty much every day of the year, bar erev yomtov and chol hamoed. But it's not a bad idea to get one.

At my last recert, I mentioned to the manager that I would like to increase my milk and decrease the cheese. She said it doesn't work this way. So I said, you know what, big deal, I'll make more pizza sandwiches. She then patted my back and said, you see, that's what wic is all about. It is not a money distribution program, we aren't giving you money, we're giving you nutritious food. And you should find creative ways to use it.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
BinahYeteirah wrote:

In NYS we get produce checks too. It's like $6 per child, $10 for mom, I think.

It's pretty much, milk, juice, eggs, ww bread or rolls or brown rice, beans or pb, cereal, cheese, and x amount for produce.

Hmmm, it sounds like you get a little more in general, but I don't know the amounts. My kids on WIC each get:

4 gallons milk
Cereal - up to 36 oz. (This is 2 large boxes of the kind I buy.)
1 jar of peanut butter or beans (1 lb. dried or some amount of canned)
1 doz. large eggs
Juice (1 or 2 cans frozen or 1 or 2 bottles, depending on the age of the child)
Whole grains - 16 or 32 oz. depending on the age of the child (This can be brown rice, oatmeal, bread, or tortillas, but the allowed brands are not kosher for us, except the rice and oatmeal.)
$6 worth of produce

Interesting.

mommalah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 12:05 pm
ChanaRochel wrote:
mommalah wrote:
amother wrote:

DUH!!! Welcome to Lakewood, in many Lakewood heimishe groceries, you merely give in your wic checks, they shotz up the total value of items, then you can buy wtvr you want in the store. I once had a 600$ bill and I paid it off by giving the office my checks every month.

So you realize this is wrong and it seems like you are proud of it. Scratching Head

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 1:41 pm
They used to do this in willy too until the inspectors began tos how up, and the practice was stopped.

ChanaRochel

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 1:53 pm
mommalah wrote:
ChanaRochel wrote:
mommalah wrote:
amother wrote:

Just the way things work here, I aint goona be able to change it, might as well just deal with what is, pride isnt even in the equation.. Crying

So you realize this is wrong and it seems like you are proud of it. Scratching Head
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics