Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Help with Brown Rice Sushi

shaindifer

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:19 pm
I bought the "short grain brown rice" and cooked it according to directions. I mixed it with the rice vinegar the way I do for the white rice. The rice was not at all sticky enough and although I was able to roll the sushi, when I cut it, it completely fell apart. Has anyone had success with getting the brown rice sticky enough? Do I need to cook it longer? Add more vinegar? Any suggestions (that you know work!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mha3484

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:22 pm
I went to a sushi demonstration and the chef said you need to add honey to the brown rice to make it stickier.

Garden-Gnome

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:32 pm
Never heard of honey in sushi rice - how did it taste?

I use short grain brown rice all the time in sushi and it's tricky to work with. It's never as good as white sushi rice.
To cook the brown rice, I add a 1/4 cup water per cup of rice, and I let it cook longer. I don't have an exact cooking time, though. I just leave it an extra 10 or 15 minutes longer, then check it and if it's not ready give it another 3 or so.... till the water's absorbed. It turns out stickier than usual, but again, still not as sticky as the white.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 12:00 pm
It's safer to use 1/2 brown and 1/2 white rice. "Shell"/"skin" on brown rice keeps the grain separate.

ez-pass

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 6:37 pm
I just saw this thread, and even though it is old I thought I would reply. the way to make brown rce sushi is to use rice called "brown sweet rice" or "sweet brown rice" it is a natural sticky rice, I just boil it in water and it works great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals