Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need an affordable ticket to E"Y Rosh Chodesh Elul

anonymom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 5:33 pm
I'm shocked at the prices I am seeing. I thought it was early-but I guess with Rosh Chodesh being smack in middle of the summer the demand must be way high. So how do I get my yeshiva bochur to E"Y for Elul? By ship?

Another question: I was looking into one way tickets for now, but if I want to get a round trip and he will be coming home in July 2011, but I don't know the exact date, can that be done, or are open tickets only through travel agencies? Also, I tried to put in a date in July 2011 just to see what price I would get on a round trip and the websites only go up to April 2011, so how would I do that even if I would know the exact date?

TIA for any help you can give me.

ally

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 11:25 pm
If you fly indirectly - through europe (rome, paris, zurich) or turkey, it is much cheaper.

joy613

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 12:45 am
I'm pretty sure open tickets can only be issued for 1 year, so it makes sense that you're seeing april 11 as the latest return dates.

anonymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 2:46 am
ally wrote:
If you fly indirectly - through europe (rome, paris, zurich) or turkey, it is much cheaper.

Thanks. I was seeing prices over $3,000 with stopover which is a given.

I was wondering if there is anything in the $1,000 range.

anonymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 2:48 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
I'm pretty sure open tickets can only be issued for 1 year, so it makes sense that you're seeing april 11 as the latest return dates.

Thanks. So, how do you buy an open ticket for a student going for the school year in advance? Anyone?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 2:51 am
First, call an agent. They may know something that non-professionals don't know. Such as if prices will go down, if it pays to buy from a consolidator etc.

ally

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:03 am
I've found that for overseas tickets, especially if you are looking at stopovers, it pays to use an agent.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:43 am
Another idea is to use discount airliners like easyJet (be careful, it uses a different airport in London), Air Berlin from Munich or Berlin (again be careful with the connecting airports), GermanWing from Cologne (will probably need to transfer within germany), Jet2.com from Manchester, or Air Europe from Barcelona. Also Arkia, Jet Airfly (to Liege Belgium--will need train connection), Mistrel Air (can't remember exactly where but somewhere in Italy).

These are all budget airlines, so agents are unlikely to book. You go directly on website. You'll need to bring your own foods, they usually charge extra for check-in luggages, may use minor airports, but can offer dirt cheap fares. Sund'or is the charter division of ElAl--they may sell flght only options.

For non-budget/regular airliners, OP may want to consider other connection cities--Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna (my favourite for easy connection), Geneve, Zurich are all good.

Prices are UNLIKELY to go down, esp if OP is talking about flights during Elul.
It is also my understanding you're better off contacting agents for an open return ticket. Alternative is to see if the fare allows rebooking the return flight with a nominal fee.

Shmerling

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 9:07 am
Never buy a one way ticket!! They are actually MORE expensive than round trip tickets. (but they are refundable.)

Tova

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 12:23 pm
Wow, $3K is very very expensive. I was checking the other day for tickets in December and they were in the low $1,000's for round trip (about a week's trip). Still, though, each ticket adds up and we likely can only afford to send my husband for his nephew's bar mitzva Sad (hoping someone will sponsor one ticket per family to go).

heffer569

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:40 pm
try israel2go.com they have student fares right now with an open end tkt for low 1000 from NY plus they have a # to call so u can ask all the Q.

Marion

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:55 pm
It also depends where you're starting from. NY-TLV/YYZ-TLV/LHR-TLV are usually under $1300 round trip (maybe more if they're open?), but if you have to connect to get to one of those hubs then you are definitely looking at $$$$. Connecting within the U.S. there's JetBlue; in Canada there's WestJet (but not always cheaper than AC).

anonymom

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 12:02 pm
Heffer, thanks for the lead Israeltogo. I checked with them and their prices were much better, but now I'm waiting for some wedding dates to be set before I purchase the ticket.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics