Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Your most awkward/bizarre guest experience
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

libramom

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:20 pm
mimivan wrote:
Oh, and this one is my all time favorite..
It was Rosh Hashana...my husband had befriended this young Baal Teshuva from the southern U.S. He was really sincere and nice but he cracked us up (not in front of him..) because he had this habit of always saying DUDE!!!!!! LOL

so he waxed eloquent about the problem of division among Am Yisroel in the Holy Land "Man, I go to the Old City and I see Aish doesn't like Chabad, and Chabad doesn't like Aish, and Shas doesn't like so and so and the Yirushalmis don't like whoever they don't like and it makes me just want to yell out "DUDE!!!! HASHEM ECHAD!!!!" LOL

I had just given birth with my first. During the meal, I excused myself to nurse. When I came back, I continued eating. This guy gave me a really upset look. He looked at the baby, then at me eating and nodded in disapproval.
"What's the problem, Stan? "(Not his real name)
"Dude, I'm sitting here for 2 hours and I'm wondering when you are going to feed that baby. He hasn't eaten anything!"
"He's eaten already..."
"Oh, well, I didn't see him eat..So, Dude, what did he eat?"
After a few minutes of Stan's insisting he know what Schneur ate, my husband cleared his throat and said.."Stan, the baby eats food from his mother."
He was shock shock shock
He looked at the baby and then at me, and then at the baby and again at me and exclaimed
"DUDE!!!!! NO WAY, MAN!!!!"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Laughter

too funny!!! Rolling Laughter

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:20 pm
When I was a kid, my parents had an overnight guest (that the Rabbi had sent to us) that fondled himself in front of me. I told my parents and he was kicked out.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:22 pm
Inspired wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Inspired wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
I think the idea that parents should make sure the guest is further from the kids than they are is pretty naive. You think someone who's ready to molest kids when the parents are right there in the same house is really going to be deterred because the parents are one door away, instead of two? I doubt it.
I agree. I was not talking about 2 doors away vs. one but a different floor where guests are not welcome, attached rooms where the room to the child is locked, etc.

Quote:
And if we're already talking about the potential that guests are pedophiles, I think the more likely scenario would be that the theoretical pedophile guest might "groom" the children by gaining their trust, and then molest them at a later date, when the parents aren't around.

That is absolutely true. That is why I am wary of adults who seek out to spend time with children and things like that.
That is also why I believe very strongly that the lines of communication must be open between parents and child to discuss anything.
ah, ok, well, not everyone has two floors. and I am not even talking about apartments. my in laws live in a very spacious house that is one floor and all of the bedrooms are in one area. so it can not always be helped.

Yes it can, you don't have those you don't completely trust sleep over your house.
fine, that is usually what happens, I am sure, but lets just say my example again. we were complete strangers to the family that we stayed by to check out a community. they did not know us and we did not know them, but they were nice enough to trust us I suppose to have us over to sleep.
but I do understand where you are coming from.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 8:57 pm
We often have sleeping guests for neighbors simchas, but once they were just 2 strange. When they first came they were completly obnoxios and rude (they later apologized and explained they thought dh was the son, like that excuses it Rolling Eyes ) the entire shabbos when they were in the house was so bizarre.
Then when they left she left me a thank you note on the night table that I should only change one bed. They didn't use the other. There was no reason to tell me this - mabe some people would appreciate not changing the other bed, but not me.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 9:11 pm
I was once a terrible guest, and I still feel bad about it. We had been married about 3 months, and I was 2 months pregnant, morning sickness in full force, living in Israel. For Rosh Hashana, we went to my husband's cousins. I had never met them before, and although I understand Hebrew absolutely fine, I was not comfortable speaking much.
I had crackers in our bedroom, which I ate whenever I felt sick, including RH morning before we went to shul. In shul, I was feeling terrible, so hot and dizzy, my sheitel was only making it worse, and I sat down during Shemona Esrei. But the worst part was when DH went to shul for Mincha, I went back into the bedroom and waited till he came home to come out, instead of being polite and sociable in the living room.
Obviously they realised I was pregnant, especially the engaged daughter, because when we went back after the baby was born, she said "oh, so when you came the first time you were pregnant."

MamO3

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 10:31 pm
Young mommy if they knew you were preg they probably don't think of you as unsociable or a bad guest.
Also, if you came with your baby the next time, I don't think it's too hard to figure out that you were pregnant the first time you were there.

sofaraway

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 12:17 pm
Once, in my parents house, we had a guest who got confused between the bedrooms. So as he went out of the shower (with just a towel around his waist, please shock he went to my parents room, and relaxed on my mom's bed. When she finally got out of the kitchen and went to her room to change for shabbos, she found that huge guy sleeping in her bed!!!! Rolling Eyes

Bella:D

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 12:26 pm
I know a similar story but better! It didn't happen to me but its a famous story in my husband's family. My mother in law's side of the family is very charedi and my father in law's side is much more modern. They were all staying in one house for a holiday one year and my mother in law's father went to bed early. I'm not sure if he went to the right room or not but while he was sleeping my father in law's aunt went into the same room and started getting into bed. It was dark so she didn't see that he was there. He woke up to a starnger trying to get into bed with him. He started screaming and freaking out!!
Must have been traumatizing back then but we all laugh about it now.

shanie5

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:54 pm
How about torturing a guest? My sister and I shared a room. One night, I gave up my bed to a family friend. sis didnt know this, and in the middle of the night she decided to scare me and jumped on my bed with a screech only it wasnt me she jumped on.
Sis has yet to live that one down!!

shosh

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 5:03 pm
I was once a guest, when I was about 14, at a family for a Shabbaton. (We ate with host families.) I really liked them at first as they were very nice to me. But on Shabbos afternoon they had a massive row and started screaming at each other in front of me. They made me feel really uncomfortable, and I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me, especially when the wife said something to her dh about "talking to her like that in front of strangers" and gave me a pointed look. I just wanted to run away. They only stopped when their baby got frightened and started to cry ...

I had never experienced such a thing before or since, but it taught me that no matter what the situation may be at home, you never fight in front of your guests ...

amother

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:42 pm
My sister went away for the first week of yomtov and when a neighbor begged her to give her the apt for the first TWO days, she relented although in general she dislikes doing it.
When she came home (erev second days) she found out that the family came back for shabbos (went home on thursday and came back) without asking for permission. They did not even leave a thank you note. My sister was FAR from happy.
(they called up my mom and asked her when she is coming back. did not even identify themselves.)

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:17 pm
I guess they thought you were so good that you were a restaurant/Pesach hotel!

We had a last-minute guest with a terrible nut allergy. Because it was a last minute request for hosting, I didn't have time to alter the menu, so we made numerous accommodations, from my throwing together a sefardi Charoses without nuts at the last second, to my providing a variety of alternative dishes. I brought out some brisket in lieu of my almond chicken, only to find that he didn't eat meat (which he never mentioned to us). So I brought out my vegetable zucchini/potato soup, only to find out that he was also mildly allergic to zucchini. At that point, I just continued to serve, and figured he'd either find enough to eat, or he wouldn't. If one needs special menus, one must arrange in advance, or suffer the consequences. P.S., he found enough to eat in the end.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 12:33 am
Our most uncomfortable guest experience was when our guest were having "some fun", but very vocal about it. We heard the bed rumble, the woman groan, the man moan, it was awfully creepy!

Zus

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 7:02 am
I split this thread. Please stay on topic.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 1:27 am
I am shocked, appalled and sooooo angry!!! Exploding anger
We lent our apartment to a couple over Pesach, closing off most of the rooms due to the fact they were Chametz. We informed them before hand that we didn't feel comfortable for them to be in our bedroom and would be put in another room instead. They were also told not to go into any rooms that were closed off with the Chometz.
Being that me and DH are the private sort, and have personal things in our bedroom, we locked the door to our bedroom as an extra measure of comfort, (in addition to clearly closing it off with Chametz sign on door etc.)
We just arrived back and discovered with out a doubt someone opened the lock and went into the bedroom shock ! We realized we accidently left a copy of the keys in a visible place -u'd think they'd be decent enuf not to take the keys and unlock the lock which was obviously there for a reason.
I am so disgusted! We opened our home to them for an entire week and they have the guts to betray us like that. So sickening! You'd think they'd have more decency then that! Exploding anger
Too bad for them -they must've been disappointed that there were no big juicy secrets hiding under our beds... Rolling Eyes

Inspired

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
I am shocked, appalled and sooooo angry!!! Exploding anger
We lent our apartment to a couple over Pesach, closing off most of the rooms due to the fact they were Chametz. We informed them before hand that we didn't feel comfortable for them to be in our bedroom and would be put in another room instead. They were also told not to go into any rooms that were closed off with the Chometz.
Being that me and DH are the private sort, and have personal things in our bedroom, we locked the door to our bedroom as an extra measure of comfort, (in addition to clearly closing it off with Chametz sign on door etc.)
We just arrived back and discovered with out a doubt someone opened the lock and went into the bedroom shock ! We realized we accidently left a copy of the keys in a visible place -u'd think they'd be decent enuf not to take the keys and unlock the lock which was obviously there for a reason.
I am so disgusted! We opened our home to them for an entire week and they have the guts to betray us like that. So sickening! You'd think they'd have more decency then that! Exploding anger
Too bad for them -they must've been disappointed that there were no big juicy secrets hiding under our beds... Rolling Eyes

Maybe they were just looking for something, like, the broom, motzi yom tov. This recently happened to a friend who was staying in someone else's empty apartment, that they were couldn't find the broom to sweep up for the broom to sweep up motzi yom tov. (I don't think they went into the locked rooms though). If your guests got the impression that the only reason the doors were locked was because they were chometzdik maybe they thought it was ok to go in (to look for the broom) after chag.
Just speculating.

MamO3

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 6:58 am
Broom? In the bedroom? I also think she told them she doesn't want them in there.

Inspired

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 7:03 am
MamO3 wrote:
Broom? In the bedroom? I also think she told them she doesn't want them in there.

"I'm not comfortable having you in my bedroom" could definitely being taken as discomfort with someone else sleeping in your bedroom, not in general stepping in. I'm not sure which rooms were locked as chometz, but if they were only bedrooms if I were the guest I would assume the chametzdik broom was in a room labeled "chametz", no matter what room that was if the kitchen didn't have a door or something.

BTW, I live in Israel and have no carpeting and yes, have a broom for the bedrooms, located in one or the other of them.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 6:16 pm
We told them we don't want them going in the bedroom. Besides it had a big chain lock across the door which none of the other room sold for Chometz had. Pretty obvious they were meant to stay outta there.

We have a broom closet with cleaning supplies right in our hall, besides they left the place quite dirty -so scratch that idea.

Seems pretty obvious they are immature and couldn't contain their curiousity from seeing what private things we had in our bedroom. Sick if u ask me. Totally didn't expect this. The lock was only their as extre precaution, I thought they'd be decent enuf not to enter even without it.

Oh well. Guess that's life.

Moral of the story -if u don't want ur privacy invaded, don't leave guests unattended. If u must by a very strong lock, and keep the keys with u!!

Arrrgh, I'm sooo annoyed!!!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 6:18 pm
We told them we don't want them going in the bedroom. Besides it had a big chain lock across the door which none of the other room sold for Chometz had. Pretty obvious they were meant to stay outta there.

We have a broom closet with cleaning supplies right in our hall, besides they left the place quite dirty -so scratch that idea.

Seems pretty obvious they are immature and couldn't contain their curiousity from seeing what private things we had in our bedroom. Sick if u ask me. Totally didn't expect this. The lock was only there as extre precaution, I thought they'd be decent enuf not to enter even without it.

Oh well. Guess that's life.

Moral of the story -if u don't want ur privacy invaded, don't leave guests unattended. If u must buy a very strong lock, and keep the keys with u!!

Arrrgh, I'm sooo annoyed!!!
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics