Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Your most awkward/bizarre guest experience
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 11:52 am
mimivan wrote:
Oh, and this one is my all time favorite..
It was Rosh Hashana...my husband had befriended this young Baal Teshuva from the southern U.S. He was really sincere and nice but he cracked us up (not in front of him..) because he had this habit of always saying DUDE!!!!!! LOL

so he waxed eloquent about the problem of division among Am Yisroel in the Holy Land "Man, I go to the Old City and I see Aish doesn't like Chabad, and Chabad doesn't like Aish, and Shas doesn't like so and so and the Yirushalmis don't like whoever they don't like and it makes me just want to yell out "DUDE!!!! HASHEM ECHAD!!!!" LOL

I had just given birth with my first. During the meal, I excused myself to nurse. When I came back, I continued eating. This guy gave me a really upset look. He looked at the baby, then at me eating and nodded in disapproval.
"What's the problem, Stan? "(Not his real name)
"Dude, I'm sitting here for 2 hours and I'm wondering when you are going to feed that baby. He hasn't eaten anything!"
"He's eaten already..."
"Oh, well, I didn't see him eat..So, Dude, what did he eat?"
After a few minutes of Stan's insisting he know what Schneur ate, my husband cleared his throat and said.."Stan, the baby eats food from his mother."
He was shock shock shock
He looked at the baby and then at me, and then at the baby and again at me and exclaimed
"DUDE!!!!! NO WAY, MAN!!!!"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Laughter

Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:07 pm
I have a guest that comes every friday night. He moved into an apartment across the hall from us the same time we moved into our apt a week after our sheva brachos. We have sinced moved away but he still comes to us every friday night. He tells me exactly what he thinks of my food. If the fish is too fishy he'll tell me off or if the soup is not tasty enough he tells me. If the food is good he'll tell me too. He always asks for at least three bowls of chicken soup and he eats a nice portion for the main course. About half way though the meal he goes onto the sofa and sleeps snoring very loudly. We have to start waking him up and hinting for him to leave other wise he stays until really late and I'm still not comfortable with him staying over. Before he leaves he tells us that he is going to eat by someone else after he leaves us. In the begining I found it very hard to have him as a guest now after 3 and a half years I get upset if he doesn't show up I'm so used to him.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
I have a guest that comes every friday night. He moved into an apartment across the hall from us the same time we moved into our apt a week after our sheva brachos. We have sinced moved away but he still comes to us every friday night. He tells me exactly what he thinks of my food. If the fish is too fishy he'll tell me off or if the soup is not tasty enough he tells me. If the food is good he'll tell me too. He always asks for at least three bowls of chicken soup and he eats a nice portion for the main course. About half way though the meal he goes onto the sofa and sleeps snoring very loudly. We have to start waking him up and hinting for him to leave other wise he stays until really late and I'm still not comfortable with him staying over. Before he leaves he tells us that he is going to eat by someone else after he leaves us. In the begining I found it very hard to have him as a guest now after 3 and a half years I get upset if he doesn't show up I'm so used to him.

He sounds like he might have aspergers. When you develop a relationship with an aspi they definitely grow on you. Smile

sarah613

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:22 pm
cute topic.
I had this one emabressing story that I will never forget. wen me and dh for got married we had a lil aprtment and we had these newlywed friends that wanted to stay over for shabbas. so we said it wud be a lil crapmed but who cares. anyway, friday night we all go to sleep late after talking for hours and me and dh start hearing noises etc. (btw we actually discussed if we shud do anything that night bc they were coming over and we said no bc they might hear and it doesnt feel right) anyway apparently they didnt have the same conversation. anyway, they were getting a lil louder and I told dh lets be quiet so they think we are sleeping or they dont know we cud hear them and GUESS WAT, my dh cudnt help it and coughed loudly for a sec. right after that they werent maing anymore noise basically cuz they figured out that the apt is small and the bedrooms are right next to each other and we cud prob hear them. so I guess they stopped and next morning we are all sitting there def quieter than last nights talking with all embaressing faces and it was just sooo akward. it was never talked about but I can only guess wat they were thinking. im actually still close with that girl but she never came again. hmmmm, wonder why.

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:28 pm
Most awkward was definitely getting 11 guests when I was expecting 0. It was just me, dh, 2 kids, and BIL, when in the middle of the meal we hear a knock and there's a big group at the door.

It turned out they were sent by a kiruv group that called earlier in the week asking if I could host a few people for Shabbat - and saying they would call back to tell me whether or not I was hosting people and how many, which they never did!!'

There wasn't even close to enough food Sad . They were very polite about it though. Nice people.

Most bizarre... tough call. There was one woman who was clearly not sane, but that was mostly just sad.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:35 pm
Inspired wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Inspired wrote:
How do people have strangers sleeping where they have access to your kids room? I have strangers in my house often. They never sleep closer to my children than I do.
because sometimes people want to host guests but have a small apartment and all of the bedrooms are in the same area.
this was how it was for us one shabbat. we were checking out a community and were being hosted by a family in a pretty small apartment. all of their bedrooms and guest bedroom were all in one small hallway and that was how it was.

I think protecting your children comes first. And I'm saying that as someone with a pretty open house, who has hosted all kinds of really interesting people. But my sleeping innocent, children are something sacred. If I am sleeping and cannot be there to protect them I will not willingly put them in reach of a stranger. If I don't have a place for a stranger to sleep that is further away from my children than I am, I will not have them sleep here. I would offer (and have) a couch or a sleeping bag on the living room floor rather than allow a stranger access to my children.

Thumbs Up

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:54 pm
Im the Amother who wrote the story about the "dream" my brother had. First of all I wasnt even born when this story happened so no I am not looking for help for my brother. My brother laughed about the story when he told it over then and is now happily married with a bunch of kids kh. Also this guy was a regular chassidshe married guy, came for fundraising, whom my parents didnt dream of thinking that he would be capable of doing something like this. Also I am sorry I wrote it as gay, he happened to be a gay molester but I am not so familiar in that line bh and now that you pointed it out you are right and.

Shendellah

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 1:00 pm
Great topic! I enjoyed hearing all the stories! Thank you for the laugh (for most of them, although there were a few sad ones)

I dont have any stories to add from the 10 months of being married. I have only had good experiences with my guests so far!

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 1:36 pm
I think the idea that parents should make sure the guest is further from the kids than they are is pretty naive. You think someone who's ready to molest kids when the parents are right there in the same house is really going to be deterred because the parents are one door away, instead of two? I doubt it.

I don't think parents should rely on themselves to hear whatever noises they expect they would hear if the guest were to try to attack the kids chv"s.

And if we're already talking about the potential that guests are pedophiles, I think the more likely scenario would be that the theoretical pedophile guest might "groom" the children by gaining their trust, and then molest them at a later date, when the parents aren't around.

Sorry to go so off topic, it's just been bothering me since it came up on this thread.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 1:52 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I think the idea that parents should make sure the guest is further from the kids than they are is pretty naive. You think someone who's ready to molest kids when the parents are right there in the same house is really going to be deterred because the parents are one door away, instead of two? I doubt it.
I agree. I was not talking about 2 doors away vs. one but a different floor where guests are not welcome, attached rooms where the room to the child is locked, etc.

Quote:
And if we're already talking about the potential that guests are pedophiles, I think the more likely scenario would be that the theoretical pedophile guest might "groom" the children by gaining their trust, and then molest them at a later date, when the parents aren't around.

That is absolutely true. That is why I am wary of adults who seek out to spend time with children and things like that.
That is also why I believe very strongly that the lines of communication must be open between parents and child to discuss anything.

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 1:58 pm
went away last year for Shabbos Hagadol, 40 minutes before the zman my husband's friend called, my husband invited him over as a joke, the guy actually came. he arrived 15 minutes after Shabbos started, I wasn't prepared for guest, didn't have enough food and the guy camped out on the couch a whole shabbos, was NOT comfortable at all.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:17 pm
ora_43 wrote:

I don't think parents should rely on themselves to hear whatever noises they expect they would hear if the guest were to try to attack the kids chv"s.

Sorry to go so off topic, it's just been bothering me since it came up on this thread.

Umm...we live in an apartment, and because we like to offer to host sleepover guests, we set up our whole apartment (rather awkwardly) to have our kids near us, and the guest bedroom very far away. Our family is more likely to stay over when they know they have some privacy, and I have much more peace of mind.

OMgosh! sometimes, when my MIL says over, and the baby wakes in the middle of the night, she'll go get the baby and sing to her! I get up, have to find a snood, then get to the baby and she tells me the baby needs to nurse. NO KIDDING!! I get that she means well, but...umm....are you going to nurse? I can handle geting up in the middle of the night, I can handle her telling me the baby needs to nurse all the time....I CANNOT HANDLE HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT IT AT 3AM!!

(what were we talking about again? oh yeah, guest room being a distance from the kids. I'm in favor) LOL

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:27 pm
Inspired wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
I agree. I was not talking about 2 doors away vs. one but a different floor where guests are not welcome, attached rooms where the room to the child is locked, etc.

Quote:

That is absolutely true. That is why I am wary of adults who seek out to spend time with children and things like that.
That is also why I believe very strongly that the lines of communication must be open between parents and child to discuss anything.
ah, ok, well, not everyone has two floors. and I am not even talking about apartments. my in laws live in a very spacious house that is one floor and all of the bedrooms are in one area. so it can not always be helped.

sarah613

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:29 pm
whu did this post turn to pedophiles and molesting kids and my arangement of my apt. this was a cute topic lets keep it that way. im curious to find out everyone elses stories, its fun.

sofaraway

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:31 pm
I personnaly didin't have any weird experience, but my mother had some to freak you out from guests forever!!!!
But one funny one, was that 19 years ago, we had a meshulach from EY who came, supposedly for one or 2 days. He ended up staying for a week or so. My mom was 9m pregnant with her 9th child, BH. The guy kept on asking for a coffe, an omelet and whatever else every few minutes. My mother was really tired, but he didn't seem to notice anything... We always remembered that guy as a very bold person. The funny thing is that last year, he showed up again! It took us a few hours until my mother told him he looked familiar, and asked him if he was the man who came so many years ago! Meanwhile, we had moved to another city, so he really ddin't know it was us, but it was really funny!!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:48 pm
We were once the "bad" guests. This was when I was pg with #2 and we had our apartment fumigated. So we slept overnight at a neighbor who was going away. We brought our own bedding with us to sleep on, and one thing led to another ...

We were sure we cleaned up after ourselves. But the next day, the neighbor's wife knocked on my door and said, looking away, that she was very upset that we had done something in the guest bed and made a mess on the sheets. I said we'd put our own sheet on top, but she said we had dirtied the bed. (I guess the sheet must have come off without us noticing.) I was soooo embarrassed, and I apologized, but I could never look that woman in the face again!

GetReal

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
But the next day, the neighbor's wife knocked on my door and said, looking away, that she was very upset that we had done something in the guest bed and made a mess on the sheets.

I can't believe that she did that! Why not just wash the sheets and move on with life? What did either of you gain from her embarrassing you?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:08 pm
I also thought that. I guess she was very angry ...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:14 pm
yummydd wrote:
My parents once had this wierd guy, and when we gave him mayim achronim to bench he drank it up....

Maybe he was just not frum raised.

Once I was invited in a frum family and I spoke at a moment I wasn't supposed to? Instead of answering me anyway (it's not a clear cut halacha at all) or telling me we can't speak or warning me in advance (many options!) some ignored me and some made weird moves. Of course I went on speaking and wondering why no one answered me. When finally it was ok to speak Rolling Eyes one said "oooooh myyyyyy G-------d she spoke in between the bracha!!!!" (yes with the mistake). Cuz you know, killing someone (humiliating him in public) is fine, but speaking?? cv'!!!

It took me more than 3 years to be able to spend shabbes at another charedi type family.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Inspired wrote:
ora_43 wrote:

Quote:

ah, ok, well, not everyone has two floors. and I am not even talking about apartments. my in laws live in a very spacious house that is one floor and all of the bedrooms are in one area. so it can not always be helped.

Yes it can, you don't have those you don't completely trust sleep over your house.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics