Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Your most awkward/bizarre guest experience
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

shosh

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:16 am
We used to have a lot of guests, but nothing so funny or interesting happened to us.

We did once have this rather lonely young guy, recently divorced, who had few social graces, and I still remember the big smile on his face on Friday afternoon when he said, "Ha ha, I've just finished all your hot water so you can't have any showers." All the way through Shabbos he kept doing these unfunny chicken impressions supposedly to amuse our oldest dd, who was then aged about 2, and who didn't laugh even once. We'd all be sitting at the table talking when he'd suddenly say, "________, look, chicken!" And nobody laughed even once. I think "cringed" was more the appropriate term.

And then was this very strange Russian couple who ate us out of house and home. And of course, the three seminary girls for whom we'd borrowed an apartment and who proceeded to stay there and ignore us for most of Shabbos!

hila

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:23 am
Some weird stories !

And I see a pattern with se girls .. do they all not talk and stay in their rooms ?

Though the ones I have had do sleep a lot (after all tehyare teenagers) but they seem pretty social at meals ...

One memorable time we had guests - a couple and their five year old...staying for a few days..

Apparently the couple had done an hpt, and the 5 year old had overheard. he came in to the room for friday night meal and announced "my ima and abba are having a new baby " !!

We laughed afterwards but the couple's face went SO red at the time !

mimivan

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:11 am
when we were first married and I was pregnant with my first, we had a guy over who was verbally abusive It was the seder...everytime my husband got up, he said something like "Why are you here..a woman shouldn't be sitting here at a seder with a man. Go sit on the couch." (dh didn't hear)

or when I gave him his food he said "those are the same vegetables you served in the soup!"

When I asked him if he wanted chicken, he yelled "Fooyah!!!"

when he left my husband said he was mentally ill and kind of followed him home because he had no place to be for the seder...I honestly felt sorry for him...but it was not such a nice seder.

The second one was weirder.

There was a woman who said she grew up Orthodox but hadn't been to a seder for many years. She asked if she could bring a friend.

Her friend turned out to be a lesbian non Jewish friend. shock
She came in with her arm around her Jewish girlfriend (I had a small baby then)..
The nonJewish friends teeth looked like they were literally rotting and I nearly plotzed from the smell of her breath.
She then lit something on fire with her cigarette and refused to help put out the fire (I"m not a Shabbos [gentile]!" she said . Thank G-d it was in the kitchen and the paper landed in the sink where the small fire went out anyway..

She made fun of everything...the way we washed for matzoh, when we looked for Eliyahu.
She grabbed a bottle of non-mevushal wine (we had some mevushal) and said "This is all mine now since I touched it, right?! I know the rules! "
Then she proceeded to get drunk...
Before she left she said "Leave your kid with us...we're trying to have our own, aren't we honey."

Well...I hope her Jewish friend got something out of it

I was pregnant both times for these sedarim...maybe the annoying guests were a segulah for an easy birth?

mimivan

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:23 am
Oh, and this one is my all time favorite..
It was Rosh Hashana...my husband had befriended this young Baal Teshuva from the southern U.S. He was really sincere and nice but he cracked us up (not in front of him..) because he had this habit of always saying DUDE!!!!!! LOL

so he waxed eloquent about the problem of division among Am Yisroel in the Holy Land "Man, I go to the Old City and I see Aish doesn't like Chabad, and Chabad doesn't like Aish, and Shas doesn't like so and so and the Yirushalmis don't like whoever they don't like and it makes me just want to yell out "DUDE!!!! HASHEM ECHAD!!!!" LOL

I had just given birth with my first. During the meal, I excused myself to nurse. When I came back, I continued eating. This guy gave me a really upset look. He looked at the baby, then at me eating and nodded in disapproval.
"What's the problem, Stan? "(Not his real name)
"Dude, I'm sitting here for 2 hours and I'm wondering when you are going to feed that baby. He hasn't eaten anything!"
"He's eaten already..."
"Oh, well, I didn't see him eat..So, Dude, what did he eat?"
After a few minutes of Stan's insisting he know what Schneur ate, my husband cleared his throat and said.."Stan, the baby eats food from his mother."
He was shock shock shock
He looked at the baby and then at me, and then at the baby and again at me and exclaimed
"DUDE!!!!! NO WAY, MAN!!!!"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Laughter

MamO3

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:28 am
ROTFL

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:49 am
amother wrote:
My parents once had a guy stay by them, the next morning my brother then 10 or so told my parents he had a wierd dream that the guest was in his bedroom touching him. My parents freaked out and called the person who asked to host him that he has to get out immediatly! They later found out he was a known gay!!!

homosexuals are not molesters We don't need to perpetuate this myth here. It makes frum jews look ignorant to have posts like this on the forum."gays" are attracted to the same relations. They do not sneak into people's rooms and molest them.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:52 am
yummydd wrote:
My parents once had this wierd guy, and when we gave him mayim achronim to bench he drank it up....

Was he frum? If you hand people a cup of water in the regular world its usually to drink.

mimivan

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:55 am
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:
My parents once had a guy stay by them, the next morning my brother then 10 or so told my parents he had a wierd dream that the guest was in his bedroom touching him. My parents freaked out and called the person who asked to host him that he has to get out immediatly! They later found out he was a known gay!!!

homosexuals are not molesters We don't need to perpetuate this myth here. It makes frum jews look ignorant to have posts like this on the forum."gays" are attracted to the same relations. They do not sneak into people's rooms and molest them.

but some of them do molest, and I would be very concerned about this "dream" this boy had...maybe he wanted to say it was a dream because he didn't want to say it really happened?

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:57 am
How do people have strangers sleeping where they have access to your kids room? I have strangers in my house often. They never sleep closer to my children than I do.

slushiemom

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:58 am
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:

thank you. I wanted to respond to that ignorant line, but couldn't have formed the words better than you did!

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:59 am
mimivan wrote:
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:

but some of them do molest, and I would be very concerned about this "dream" this boy had...maybe he wanted to say it was a dream because he didn't want to say it really happened?

No. PEDOPHILES molest. Homosexuals are not attracted to children anymore than heterosexuals are.
It is entirely possible the boy was molested in his sleep. See my previous post. I'm not clear on why you'd have a stranger sleep with access to your sleeping children.

mimivan

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:01 am
Inspired wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:

No. PEDOPHILES molest. Homosexuals are not attracted to children anymore than heterosexuals are.
It is entirely possible the boy was molested in his sleep. See my previous post. I'm not clear on why you'd have a stranger sleep with access to your sleeping children.

then we are just arguing semantics here..the main issue is that that amother should check the situation out..

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:05 am
mimivan wrote:
Inspired wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:

then we are just arguing semantics here..the main issue is that that amother should check the situation out..

Accusing a whole type of people of being molesters is not "just semantics". There is no reason to perpetuate ignorant and hurtful myths. Why would you prefer to be and look ignorant?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:09 am
Inspired wrote:
How do people have strangers sleeping where they have access to your kids room? I have strangers in my house often. They never sleep closer to my children than I do.
because sometimes people want to host guests but have a small apartment and all of the bedrooms are in the same area.
this was how it was for us one shabbat. we were checking out a community and were being hosted by a family in a pretty small apartment. all of their bedrooms and guest bedroom were all in one small hallway and that was how it was.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Inspired wrote:
because sometimes people want to host guests but have a small apartment and all of the bedrooms are in the same area.
this was how it was for us one shabbat. we were checking out a community and were being hosted by a family in a pretty small apartment. all of their bedrooms and guest bedroom were all in one small hallway and that was how it was.

I think protecting your children comes first. And I'm saying that as someone with a pretty open house, who has hosted all kinds of really interesting people. But my sleeping innocent, children are something sacred. If I am sleeping and cannot be there to protect them I will not willingly put them in reach of a stranger. If I don't have a place for a stranger to sleep that is further away from my children than I am, I will not have them sleep here. I would offer (and have) a couch or a sleeping bag on the living room floor rather than allow a stranger access to my children.

mimivan

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:18 am
Inspired wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Inspired wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:

Accusing a whole type of people of being molesters is not "just semantics". There is no reason to perpetuate ignorant and hurtful myths. Why would you prefer to be and look ignorant?

I want to hear more about this boy who woke up with this story...that's the first priority IMHO...

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:44 am
Inspired wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Inspired wrote:

I think protecting your children comes first. And I'm saying that as someone with a pretty open house, who has hosted all kinds of really interesting people. But my sleeping innocent, children are something sacred. If I am sleeping and cannot be there to protect them I will not willingly put them in reach of a stranger. If I don't have a place for a stranger to sleep that is further away from my children than I am, I will not have them sleep here. I would offer (and have) a couch or a sleeping bag on the living room floor rather than allow a stranger access to my children.
I agree with you. I was just telling you a situation where someone would be sleeping (being a guest) among the parents and children as well.
in my apartment, my bedroom is directly across the small hallway from my daughter's room and we sleep with the door opened, even with guests, so I would here anything that a guest was doing (the guest room is a few more feet away from us than my daughters room) mind you, we have not had strangers as sleep over guests, maybe once.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 5:15 am
mimivan- if amnother was posting about a recent story that required help or intervention then "semantics" may matter less. I still don't see why being ignorant and hurting people is okay. But this didn't seem like a recent story or like amother was looking for help for her brother.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 5:24 am
amother wrote:
my grandparent were known for their open hom. anyways they had one guest who in conversation told them that he'd just gotten out of jail.
another time my bubby woke up in middle of the night for some reason and went to check up on the kids - she saw one of the guests, standing over the kids bed with a tzailem....

I'm a shlucha and this is one of the reasons (along with the other crazy stories during the night) that we almost never have any sleeping guests.

If we do have to (they have a small child can cannot sleep at a hotel), we ask for references and we check them.

As to people starting starting innapropriate conversations, I'm quite good at saying: let's speak about something else, so where did you say you studied? or whatever...

amother

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 8:39 am
So we often serve fish as the main protein on Shabbat. We had a house full of guests (singles) and my husband picked up another guy at shul. The guy walks in, super confident, seems nice enough. We we served soup, then a huge meal with many side dishes and salmon. It was like a feast. After the cleared the table for dessert, and started bringing out ice cream and fruit, the guy made it clear that if he had known this was the main course, he would have eaten more! So, I apologized profusely and made him a plate in the kitchen.

Totally our fault and I was soooooo embarrassed. Most people get it, but now I tell everyone what's what before the meal begins.

(but, seriously, who serves mashed potatoes as part of the fish course?)

(anon because it's a famous story in my 'hood)
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics