Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Your most awkward/bizarre guest experience
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 2:18 pm
imaamy wrote:
We have opened our home to seder guests for many years now. One year we were sent an older woman who began singing "my yiddishe momma" in a very shrill, off key voice at the end of the seder. Turns out she was a Methodist minister? who was interested in Judaism. we've had several odd ones but that one remains a running joke in our family.

not really a guest story but my sister once had some very young bochurim helping at her chabad house. they needed a minyan so these 15 year old bochurim went out into the street to find some yidden. they spot a man with a high white collar. Not knowing what this signified, thay asked him if he was Jewish. Turned out not only was he a some sort of high ranking vicar or rector, but he was in fact born Jewish. had these bochurim been more knowledgable they would never have asked him.

(not sure if he could be counted in the minyan anyway)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 2:24 pm
Raisin wrote:
imaamy wrote:
We have opened our home to seder guests for many years now. One year we were sent an older woman who began singing "my yiddishe momma" in a very shrill, off key voice at the end of the seder. Turns out she was a Methodist minister? who was interested in Judaism. we've had several odd ones but that one remains a running joke in our family.

not really a guest story but my sister once had some very young bochurim helping at her chabad house. they needed a minyan so these 15 year old bochurim went out into the street to find some yidden. they spot a man with a high white collar. Not knowing what this signified, thay asked him if he was Jewish. Turned out not only was he a some sort of high ranking vicar or rector, but he was in fact born Jewish. had these bochurim been more knowledgable they would never have asked him.

(not sure if he could be counted in the minyan anyway)

Wow wow wow wow. With G-d's help it pushed him to do teshuva (I think he needs to go to mikve once before counting in a minyan as he is in cherem, but I'm not sure).

shirafruma

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:31 pm
We had a guy who raided our medicine closet. 8 weeks after I had a C section and 2 weeks after DH had a double root canal and his wisdom teeth out. So we were chock full of pain killers! He then decided to declare his love for my sister at the Shabbos table (he never met her before) and to tell us all about his yo uknow what life with his ex wife. Then he told us all about his gun collection. At that point I told DH start BENTCHING. In the middle of soup. ANd luckily we lived in a secured gated building with a security guard, I told him NOT tel EVER let him back in the building. We only realized about the meds after DH went motzei shabbos for a pain killer and realized what had happened!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:17 pm
This past Rosh Hashana, a friend brought someone along with her figuring we wouldn't mind. Normally we wouldn't...this time we did! She was so gross. She took over the entire conversation. She talked about se#, edible underpants, the list went on. How stupid orthodoxy is - she is MO and davens in our shul, I really don't get it.

She really ruined the entire meal, esp. after I worked so hard on it. I was so upset and embarrassed. Every time I see her I cringe.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:02 pm
Oh My GOSH these stories are horrendous!!!

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:03 pm
Come to think of it --- when we remodeled our bathroom we found the weirdest thing:

MEDICINE CABINETS WITH LOCKS AND KEYS...

Now I understand why...

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:19 pm
We had American seminary girls here who not only didn't talk to us, but kept on saying that they had studying to do and closeting themselves in our guest bedroom. It was odd and uncomfortable and the kids were confused as to why they weren't interacting with them at all.

Motzei shabbos, when I went to clean up, the guest room was full of my Horizon's magazines from the bookshelves on our stairs.

Inspired

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:25 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
Come to think of it --- when we remodeled our bathroom we found the weirdest thing:

Now I understand why...

I stopped keeping all medication in the bathroom after a guest drank all of the cough syrup (a bottle and a half).

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:45 pm
Wink OMG I'm crying from laughing so hard... we could publish this stuff .... Rolling Laughter

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:49 pm
Inspired wrote:
ValleyMom wrote:

Now I understand why...

I stopped keeping all medication in the bathroom after a guest drank all of the cough syrup (a bottle and a half).

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jewels

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:59 pm
My uncle asked me if I could host a friend of his for a Shabbos and of course I readily agreed. He said all I have to do is have him sleep by me and he'd be eating out the meals. He shows up 10 minutes before shkiah with his dog, this little tiny thing that did not stop barking and nearly took my kids hand off. He was staying in my basement so I asked him if he could please leave the dog in his room while he was gone for the meals, but he said to me that his 'snowflake" is very sensitive to being left alone and he'd prefer if I watched her upstairs giving her the proper attention that she deserved. Word for word. I had a 4 month old along with 2 other kids and when I explained that I really wasn't comfortable with it he started telling me all about her emotional issues... shock The weirdest guest ever...

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 6:03 pm
Inspired wrote:
ValleyMom wrote:

Now I understand why...

And I thought my kids were bad! I keep my meds in a high kitchen cabinet, but with the kids in mind. My guset who's been coming every day brings his own meds- and leaves a box of pills all over. I'm afraid to ask what they all are, but he has many kinds. He says they're vitamins, but why so many different kinds of pills? I did tell him he has to keep them in my kitchen cabinet instead of on my couch, though. I don't want my kids to take his "vitamins".

yummydd

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 6:12 pm
My parents once had this wierd guy, and when we gave him mayim achronim to bench he drank it up....

amother

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 8:08 pm
we have had many crazy experiences, as many chabad shluchim do heres the first first ones that come to mind

we had a guy we met on campus tell us he may need to sleep over if his car breaks down (he was invited to eat and if he asked to sleep over we would have said yes) anyways, he came back from shul with my dh and went to sleep on the couch. when kiddush started he barely said a word to any of the other guests. after the meal, he went upstairs to go to sleep, only to come down and ask dh for pajamas. I dont remember exactly what he did but it seemed to me he was on drugs or s/t and I barely slept that night bec his bedroom was right next to my kids (so is mine but I was scared I wouldnt hear) in the morning dh woke hime up to go to shul (bec there was no way he was staying home with me) anyways he came downstairs but just crashed on the couch. after about 20 minutes dh convinced him to come eat s/t. the gust is like what do u have so I answered, cake, cereal... so he said that cake cereal sounds good, he never tried it b4. after eating s/t, he went right back to the couch. dh told him hes going to shul so he said fine he's coming soon. at this point dh was an hr late to shul, so he left but bh came back after a few minutes. he realized this guy wasnt going to go anywhere. anyways he finally got him to get up and go to shul with him. in shul he popped pills and slept the entire davening.

it was really wierd bec we had met him a few days b4 shabbos and he was 100% normal. we didnt know what the sitch was (we found out later from another shliach, that apparently s/t happened to him and ever do often he would have these "episodes")

my grandparent were known for their open hom. anyways they had one guest who in conversation told them that he'd just gotten out of jail.
another time my bubby woke up in middle of the night for some reason and went to check up on the kids - she saw one of the guests, standing over the kids bed with a tzailem....

my sister is on shluchos out of usa, in a place hard to get kosher supplies. anyways they had alot of guests for yom kippur, and when she went to prepare for the breakfast, she saw that a few trays of chicken were gone!!! they went into the room of the women they suspected and they saw a case of tuna cans and other stuff....

there are plenty other stories

amother

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:19 pm
I once had my neighbor's daughter and a friend stay in my empty house while we were away during Succos. When we came home, the beds were completely made with the fresh sheets we left on them. And they were REALLY fresh, as in freshly laundered in my washer and dryer and put back on. (they told me that they did this) It was really sweet of them to do, and I appreciated the gesture , but my matress covers were not in the best condition, and I didn't want them to see that. Oh well embarrassed

amother

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:26 pm
My parents once had a guy stay by them, the next morning my brother then 10 or so told my parents he had a wierd dream that the guest was in his bedroom touching him. My parents freaked out and called the person who asked to host him that he has to get out immediatly! They later found out he was a known gay!!!

slushiemom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:50 pm
wow, you guys have some crazy stories! this thread is totally reinforcing my decision not to let people stay in my house if it's empty (from that other thread). if this kind of stuff happens when you're home, imagine what some of these people would do when they're in an empty house!!

although Ruchel- I'm a host on seeyouonshabbos, we've hosted people twice and I ONLY accept them if I can find a mutual acquaintance, or if I'm familiar with their reference.

hadasa

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:50 am
This isn't mine, but my SIL's. She was hosting four sisters who had come in for a neighbor's Simchah. She made them four beds, each with a very nice set of linen, but they said they won't be able to sleep unless all four sets matched! And they refused to go to sleep until she found a neighbor from whom to borrow four identical sets of linen.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 1:16 am
hadasa wrote:
This isn't mine, but my SIL's. She was hosting four sisters who had come in for a neighbor's Simchah. She made them four beds, each with a very nice set of linen, but they said they won't be able to sleep unless all four sets matched! And they refused to go to sleep until she found a neighbor from whom to borrow four identical sets of linen.
shock

lilacdreams

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:01 am
yummydd wrote:
My parents once had this wierd guy, and when we gave him mayim achronim to bench he drank it up....

rofl!!

When we were kids we used to host the (unmarried, 40 yo)Rabbi of our shul on shabbeses because he didnt live in the area and noone else could have him. I literally gave up my bedroom for a year every shabbes. Noone like him so much as he was a pompous old man wh used totalk about how awful his ex wife was. One time I was cleaning up my bedroom motzei shabbes, after he had left, and found a brush full of pubic hairs in it - on my bed.......!! Another time same guest (he was a biiiig guy) sat down on a chair at the table for a seudah and half way into seudah the chair collapsed and he was thrown off the chair backwards. After we composed ourselves my little sister admitted placing the "shakey" chair by his place on purpose!!

Another time same guest, at dessert, was helping himself to the canned fake cream (it used to come in like an aerosol bottle- you push on the top and the cream comes out) So he took some but the bottle malfunctioned and even though he stopped pushing the button it kept coming out, and spraying all over the room. He couldnt stop it! We kids were all hysterical laughing while my mother who was initially in shock realised he wasn't doing it on purpose and jumped upto rush the offending bottle to the kitchen.

oh boy....good days!
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics