Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Your most awkward/bizarre guest experience
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 12:23 pm
Mine was during one Shabbas when we were hosting this young single frum girl, she was about early 20's. She didn't participate in any conversations, the only time she would open her mouth to speak, she would speak about totally unrelated things, such as unicorns or other bizarre things. It was definitely very weird and I couldn't wait for Shabbas to be over so that she would leave.

What are some of your awkward guest experiences or moments?

racheleezzy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 12:28 pm
mine is actually where I was a guest in someone elses home... during my year in seminary, me and my friend went to someones house for shabbas lunch. They had an older single woman as well... basically she makes her decisions by holding out her hands and whichever hand moved up that is what she did .... so there we are at the table and she would say out loud do I want meat or chicken and she would hold out her hands and see which hnad went up the chicken or meat hand.... she did this for everything she ate and she told us that she made herlife decisions like this as well shock

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 12:45 pm
Mine was a seder a couple of years ago. We always have an open seder -- advertise, ask everyone to come, etc. So we got a couple of people amongst the other guests. They were a bit loud, but that was ok -- until the meal. They complained loudly that the food was way too salty (it was somewhat, my fault). Then in a stage whisper, they said, "Look, she (that is me) is a drunk, drooling slut!" I wasn't drunk (I drink Kedem Kal low alcohol wine) or drooling and I am not a slut!!! They were sitting near my husband and he was stunned, he didn't say a word.

How's that for a weird guest experience?

Seraph

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 2:36 pm
This wasnt so much weird as awkward. A few weeks ago we had two sem girls for friday night. Well what can I say, I was running a little behind. Started off on a bad note.
The whole meal was just awkward, barely any talking. And not because of lack of effort on our part. The whole meal, the girls didn't even look us in the eye. It was very uncomfortable.

6coop

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 2:38 pm
I once hosted a young couple who was staying at my house for shabbos while visiting their family who live in my community. We gave the couple the code to the front door so that they could let themselves in at night without having to wake us if we were asleep. I was sitting in the living room shabbos morning with my children, and all of a sudden this strange man walks into the house! After a near heart attack, he told me that the couple had given him the code (he was a family friend) and also later that day a young woman let herself in too! I was pretty surprised that they were giving out our lock code to people who were strangers to us!

6coop

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:11 pm
Another story:
One erev shabbos we got a knock on our door from our neighbor's guest (an elderly man who I had never met before) who told us that his son wanted to come for shabbos, but he didn't want to impose on his hosts (who are our frum neighbors), so could his son stay with us, even if he could just sleep on our couch. Dh and I were a little taken aback, but we said sure and I quickly made up a bed for this man in our guest room. He didn't come before shabbos so we thought he wasn't coming, but really late at night (well we finished dinner and we were ready for bed), he came over. It was obvious right away that this man was not mentally stable. He started talking to my husband about all of his medications, and how he got kicked out of his home etc.. The next morning, he didn't go to shul, but stayed in my house (awkward!) and he was telling my children how he has a child but he doesn't know where his child is (my kids couldn't figure that one out!) I finally had to tell him that he should go next door to see if his parents were there so he could go to shul.
Motzei Shabbos, the father walked the man back to our house and said okay, I'll come and pick him up around 10 tomorrow morning to go home! The man was awake and walking around our house until 3:00 in the morning. I made DH stay on the couch the whole night to make sure everything was okay. At breakfast the next morning, the man said that he really liked it at our house and asked if he could live with us. I very sweetly and politely thanked him for the compliment but told him no.

p.s. One of the teenage sons of our neighbor asked us the next day how we enjoys having the man at our house. DH said it was interesting, and the boy laughed and said "we were just so happy to get out of having him stay with us".

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:19 pm
We had a very very frum couple over; they realized we only had one sink so they wouldn't eat, then they proceed to PDA - gross !!!!

One time we offered to host a girl from a beginner's weekend for Friday night; she ended up coming for all of the meals WITH her boyfriend !!! Unannounced. And I didn't have enough food to host. Also I had a newborn and just hosting at night was enough for me !

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:20 pm
I have a good one!
I get a call on a thursday saying a lady in her 40s who rebbetzin x thinks might be a good shidduch for a friend ,needs a place for shabbos ....she would stay and they would meet at luch. excited I say sure. he is cohen BTW...

friday comes , lady shows up in tight jeans and a tank top ,she looked like a lady of the night....mealtime comes , she does not seem to know a thing ,did not EVEN change for shabbos...DH asked me to find a cardigan for her ,she was not too pleased and pontificated on the opression that religious dogma puts on women and other nonsense ,I was just flabergasted .
we kept it toghether....
She then said she was italian decent ....we were like oh .. Italki ,cool! , no she says I 'm not that , I'm just curious abot judeism since I dated my proffesor for 6 years ,he was jewish and married.

my kids were there ,I was beyond shocked,when she said he was such a good lover OMG embarrassed ...It got weirder and we were silent as we did not know what to do or say LOL ,kids were set to bed..., she went to sleep , but got up and drank juice all night , yep the grape juice ,I had left stuff in her room , but she liked 'this one better" in her words . we had wine only the next day ...kids loved that manishewitz the next day at kiddush LOL

Morning came , she wanted to go to shul ,dressed in her skimpies so I gave a skirt and went upstairs ,kids were eating cereal ,then clash... broken ceral bowl ....I heard DD and DS yell mummy and no no , not tznius ,DS dropped the bowl from shock .
As there she was in her panties ,changing infront of my kids TOPLESS....
I ran down saw this and LOST IT...
I told her this is not working out... YOU NEED TO LEAVE NOW, this is crazy ...
she left right then and I was left too shaken to go ...
Dh was in shul and brought out friend ... Wink
my cohen friend made yokes the whole meal as DS told him the awefull details... LOL
As for the Rebbetzin ...she said well these kinds of things happen sometimes , but no appologies, Exploding anger

I NEVER AGAIN accepted referals from them LOL
It still feels like it was some crazy dream!
PS she took my Ann Taylor skirt....kaparah ...LOL
It was like having the satan as a guest LOL!

racheleezzy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:26 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
I have a good one!
I get a call on a thursday saying a lady in her 40s who rebbetzin x thinks might be a good shidduch for a friend ,needs a place for shabbos ....she would stay and they would meet at luch. excited I say sure. he is cohen BTW...

friday comes , lady shows up in tight jeans and a tank top ,she looked like a lady of the night....mealtime comes , she does not seem to know a thing ,did not EVEN change for shabbos...DH asked me to find a cardigan for her ,she was not too pleased and pontificated on the opression that religious dogma puts on women and other nonsense ,I was just flabergasted .
we kept it toghether....
She then said she was italian decent ....we were like oh .. Italki ,cool! , no she says I 'm not that , I'm just curious abot judeism since I dated my proffesor for 6 years ,he was jewish and married.

my kids were there ,I was beyond shocked,when she said he was such a good lover OMG embarrassed ...It got weirder and we were silent as we did not know what to do or say LOL ,kids were set to bed..., she went to sleep , but got up and drank juice all night , yep the grape juice ,I had left stuff in her room , but she liked 'this one better" in her words . we had wine only the next day ...kids loved that manishewitz the next day at kiddush LOL

Morning came , she wanted to go to shul ,dressed in her skimpies so I gave a skirt and went upstairs ,kids were eating cereal ,then clash... broken ceral bowl ....I heard DD and DS yell mummy and no no , not tznius ,DS dropped the bowl from shock .
As there she was in her panties ,changing infront of my kids TOPLESS....
I ran down saw this and LOST IT...
I told her this is not working out... YOU NEED TO LEAVE NOW, this is crazy ...
she left right then and I was left too shaken to go ...
Dh was in shul and brought out friend ... Wink
my cohen friend made yokes the whole meal as DS told him the awefull details... LOL
As for the Rebbetzin ...she said well these kinds of things happen sometimes , but no appologies, Exploding anger

I NEVER AGAIN accepted referals from them LOL
It still feels like it was some crazy dream!
PS she took my Ann Taylor skirt....kaparah ...LOL
It was like having the satan as a guest LOL!

shock omg

8mom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:49 pm
We had a family once on Yom Tov and the lady thought that my chicken was not cooked properly and it was too pink, and instead of just leaving the piece she didn't like on the serving plate she went on and on and on about it. I felt so embarassed but I thought she had gone too far as well as her conversation about how she went with a friend of mine in labour to hospital while my kids are listening and listening. I had made for dessert a beautiful perfect lemon meringue pie and I decided she didn't deserve it so I kept it for the next day and served vanilla icecream instead!!!!!!!

This one is very sad. One fri night at soup an Israeli man knocked at the door - his plane had been delayed and he had been walking in the rain for ages till he asked someone where the Rabbi's house is so of course he came for the meal and slept over and a few months later we saw his picture in the Hamodia that he had been niftar in terrible circumstances. All the kids were very upset .....

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 3:56 pm
racheleezzy wrote:
mine is actually where I was a guest in someone elses home... during my year in seminary, me and my friend went to someones house for shabbas lunch. They had an older single woman as well... basically she makes her decisions by holding out her hands and whichever hand moved up that is what she did .... so there we are at the table and she would say out loud do I want meat or chicken and she would hold out her hands and see which hnad went up the chicken or meat hand.... she did this for everything she ate and she told us that she made herlife decisions like this as well shock

I'm sad to say I've seen this done is natural medicine circles in Eretz this year. They decide if you need magnesium or calcium by the hand that moves... seen it with my own eyes in a pharmacy.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:01 pm
As for my worst guests.

One was an exchange from school, an American girl no one wanted to host so we volunteered... oy. She expected us to pay everything for her, wanted to go to weird, boring and very far away places (my dad decided he wasn't driving 200 kms so she can see "Chateau de Maison" or whatever), and she used the phone in my room until 2 am when I had school the day after!

Another was a half crazy girl who wore a very very long skirt but a very very open (= breasts showing) top. My dad forced her to put on a cardigan and she wasn't happy. She liked showing off her butterfly tattoo on the breast. She wanted my dad to tell her "war stories" with "a lot of gore" and ended up stealing from us...

Btw both were very ill bred, saying what we ate was "gross".

Oh well, maybe my dh is right when he says he does not want me to register on Sawyouonshabbes...

Last edited by Ruchel on Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

racheleezzy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
racheleezzy wrote:

I'm sad to say I've seen this done is natural medicine circles in Eretz this year. They decide if you need magnesium or calcium by the hand that moves... seen it with my own eyes in a pharmacy.

interesting

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:02 pm
I've got loads of stories but the one in my head now is when a very newlywed couple asked if they could stay with us one motzei shabbos, after touring round the country, before flying home th next day.

well, first the husband comes in, and goes up to his room, followed about an hour later by his wife. It was extremely obvious that she had just been to mikva. (the mikva is next door to us) This couple hardly spoke to us, just spent the entire time in their room. It was very odd, and rather rude.

I felt like one of those japanese hotels.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:07 pm
I wanted to post something but it pales in comparison to the stories here. OMG, I cannot believe what some of you poor ladies have been through. The one with giving out the code to the house made me burn. The one with the panty/topless lady... what kind of people take such advantage of others kindness?

racheleezzy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:09 pm
edit

Last edited by racheleezzy on Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

racheleezzy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:11 pm
racheleezzy wrote:
Another one I remember is before I think I was still in high school, My brother had a friend sleep over from oot. They knew each othe from their yeshiva in israel. I was sitting in the kitchen talking to my mom when this boy comes down the stairs in nothing but his towel embarrassed

and I forgot to add the best part.... 5 years later I ended up on a date with him not knowing that it was him until he came to the door... He was like I thought you were so and so's sister. I turned to my mother and almost plotzed......Needless to say it was an extremely short date..

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:17 pm
Ruchel wrote:
As for my worst guests.

One was an exchange from school, an American girl no one wanted to host so we volunteered... oy. She expected us to pay everything for her, wanted to go to weird, boring and very far away places (my dad decided he wasn't driving 200 kms so she can see "Chateau de Maison" or whatever), and she used the phone in my room until 2 am when I had school the day after!

Another was a half crazy girl who wore a very very long skirt but a very very open (= breasts showing) top. My dad forced her to put on a cardigan and she wasn't happy. She liked showing off her butterfly tattoo on the breast. She wanted my dad to tell her "war stories" with "a lot of gore" and ended up stealing from us...

Btw both were very ill bred, saying what we ate was "gross".

Oh well, maybe my dh is right when he says he does not want me to register on Sawyouonshabbes...

Same here no sawyouonshabbes for us too...LOL Very Happy

Inspired

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:43 pm
Once a couple knocked on our door and asked to eat the shabbos meal by us. Besides the pdas throughout the meal they then came back uninvited for 3rd meal. I was in bed having a miscarriage and told them I wasn't feeling well, they came in anyway and I put some food on the table for them and went back to bed. When I told them as soon as shabbos was out that I had to leave for the hospital they just sat there like I was going to leave them in my house to hang out. Confused

imaamy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:03 pm
We have opened our home to seder guests for many years now. One year we were sent an older woman who began singing "my yiddishe momma" in a very shrill, off key voice at the end of the seder. Turns out she was a Methodist minister? who was interested in Judaism. we've had several odd ones but that one remains a running joke in our family.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics