Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
EMERGENCY- is little debbie triangle k d good hechsher
1  2  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:09 pm
I just bought for lunch little debbie donuts, with triangle k d. I just want ot be sure its an acceptable hechsher.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:12 pm
Most people only use triange K on items like frozen veggies, canned veggies - things that generally don't need hechsherim anyways.

Nomad

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:16 pm
I agree with defy,

I dont know if you can trust the triangle k hechsher on little debbie ...

sorry Sad

go get some entenmanns! Smile

PinkandYellow

what about the cherry apple juice I'm drinking as we speak?! I hate this, that I'm not familiar with which hechsheirim are acceptable and I'm constantly getting stuck.

chica

I was told triangle-k is not a good hechsher, but I'm not sure if other people hold that way too

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:17 pm
I'm really upset they didn't have entemanns. that is what I had really wanted.

speciwoman

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:18 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
I hate this, that I'm not familiar with which hechsheirim are acceptable and I'm constantly getting stuck.

Why don't you ask your rabbi for a list of acceptable hechsherim? Then you can even take it with you when you shop if you need to.

Nomad

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:18 pm
ooh noo - for me, I just keep triangle k for veggies and fruits - frozen and canned (and even then , I try to avoid if I can).

otherwise, they are not considered such a reliable hecsher...

to give you background, im more MO. frummer people may not use that hecsher at all

frimamom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:20 pm
I was told from a masgiach that the triangle k has no rabbi's backing it. In my eyes, thats not called a hechsher.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:22 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
what about the cherry apple juice I'm drinking as we speak?! I hate this, that I'm not familiar with which hechsheirim are acceptable and I'm constantly getting stuck.

I've emailed the OU (or maybe it was the Star K) about Mott's apple juice awhile back. They said that if I'd already purchased it, I could go ahead and use it, but they didn't recommend purchasing it.

Personally, I use triangle k for certain items and would probably eat Little Debbie's (but wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it). However, that's definitely not the norm and most orthodox people don't consider triangle K reliable.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:24 pm
frimamom wrote:
I was told from a masgiach that the triangle k has no rabbi's backing it. In my eyes, thats not called a hechsher.

What's that mean?

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:27 pm
I guess its a good thing I bought cornchips and choc bar for lunch as well. I'm sure my coworker will appreciate the little debbie's.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:30 pm
As defy and others said most ortho ppl. do not consider it a reliable hechsher.
Not for frito lay either, btw.

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:36 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
frimamom wrote:

What's that mean?

It means the mashgiach doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, and can't be relied upon.

http://www.trianglek.org/about.html

Of course, that doesn't make it a reliable hecksher. I've heard and read that its not, in some (most?) cases. As always, CYLOR.

SarahSpundah

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:54 pm
I was also taught no (modern orthodox). However, I was taught no because they also make a hot dog with a triangle k on it and this was a definite no for their meat products! I've never asked about the Little Debbie snacks but I would think the same no would go for those too... of course aylor Smile

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 10:43 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses. My coworker greatly appreciated the donuts. I cost me $4 but on the bright side, it saved me hundreds of calories. And I now know to avoid triangle k.

nylon

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 3:01 pm
FYI, anyone relying on an old psak about Triangle-K may want to ask again. I've been hearing that they have been upgrading their standards. Last I checked, baked goods were still out, but that was not recent. At the time, I also got the "fruits and veggies only" guideline.

chavamom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 3:26 pm
The local Young Israel sells cards that have accepted hechsherim on them to keep in your wallet. Wonder if you can find on of those?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 3:36 pm
It's not only not reliable, it's not much of a (healthy) lunch, either.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 10:20 pm
The Seattle Va'ad says "NO" on any triangle K products. Same for tablet K. Crying

I hold by it, but it still makes me cranky.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen