Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Kinua

e1234

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:52 am
sorry don't know how to spell it but I was told Kinua has a lot of protein and I really need protein badly.

I'm a picky eater - how can I make it yummy that I'll like it and eat it?
how do you prepare it? clean it?

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:10 am
Quinoa.

Soak it like rice, and cook. If you don't soak & drain it first it will be bitter. You can flavour it however you like. It's more delicate than rice though.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:16 am
Make sure you rinse it really, really well.
I sautee onions and make it with them.
It' spelled QUINOA but pronounced "kinwa"

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:19 am
It's very salty so they say to soak it first.

I sautee onion, add the quinoa, a bit of soy sauce and other seasonings and cover with water and simmer.

joy613

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 4:46 am
How long do you soak it for?

rowo

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 5:37 am
I don't soak it, just rinse a few times. I've never found, or heard that it's salty. maybe it depends where you're buying it?
you can do so much with it.
first cook it on the stove like rice. I part quinoa to 2 parts water, bring to boil and let simmer till water is absorbed, the quinoa is a translucent and they have little white 'tails', if that makes sense..
then fry onion and mushrooms in little oil, add to quinoa with salt, pepper, garlic powder.
or fry onion and red pepper...
I recently made it with small cubes of baked pumpkin (just cut into small cubes, drizzled with olive oil, bake till soft) chopped up purple onion, chopped up red pepper, chick peas. drizzled with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. I served it cold and I think it came out really good.
or you can put it raw under chicken and vegetables, season, pour water over and bake.
or I've heard you can cook it with milk or make it in sweet recipes, although I haven't found a good recipe for it like that yet.

shevi82

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 5:45 am
I cook it like rice and serve with sautéed veggies on top (onions, mushrooms, pepper, bean sprouts, and squash) spice with salt and pepper.

e1234

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 5:48 am
how long do you soak it?
how well do you rinse?

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 5:50 am
If you google it, you will see that Quinoa has a bitter outer layer that they tell you to rinse off. I didn't mean soak it over night or anything, I just put it in a bowl of water and then transfer it to the pot with a slotted spoon.

mamacita

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 5:27 pm
Here are some things I've done with it:

thrown into cholent instead of barley: delish!
tabouleh
in vegetable soup
under chicken as if it was rice
sweet with honey, raisins & brown sugar like oatmeal
with lentils like majadra

it can really be subbed for rice, barley, oats, in all sorts of ways. You could use it in meatballs (cooked) instead of bread crumbs.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:01 pm
My new favorite way to make quinoa:

Rinse quinoa well & cook according to package directions.

When cool, mixed with mashed avocado & add salt to taste. It's delicious, simple, and is so filling & nourishing. I always feel energized after I eat quinoa.

Another favorite is a quinoa, black bean, & corn salad.

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:07 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
It's very salty so they say to soak it first.

It's actually not salty at all.....There's not one bit of salt. The reason for pre-soaking it is because it can often have a very thin coating of a bitter substance around the grains. Soaking the grains removes this bitter membrane.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:21 pm
Everyone loves the KBD recipe when I make it.
I skip the jalanpeno and cilantro, and often use lemon juice instead of lime juice.

Thai Quinoa
• 1½ cups dry quinoa
• 3 cups water
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
• 6 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
• 3 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves, gently torn (discard stem)
• 1/3 cup minced red onion
• ½ firm mango, not too ripe, peeled, pitted, and cut into ¼-inch dice
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ tsp fine sea salt
• 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp lime juice

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly either in a strainer or in a pot and drain. (Do not skip this step or a bitter-tasting, natural soap-like coating will remain.) Once the quinoa is drained, place it in a medium pot with the water. Bring to a boil,. Reduce the heat and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes or until the berries turn translucent and the outer layer pops off. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the minced jalapeno, basil, cilantro, red onion, and mango. Drizzle with the oil, salt and lime juice. Stir to combine.
Add the drained quinoa and toss to combine. Season with salt to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 11:28 pm
I posted a great recipe for Quinoa...

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....uinoa

MidwestMommy

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 11:45 pm
I've made the one ra_mom posted a bunch of times. It's always a hit. Recently I made this: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896
(It's quinoa stuffed peppers for those of you who don't want to click on the link.) It was delicious! I left out the celery and added jalapenos and corn.I would just recommend cooking them uncovered for 25 min- not covered for over an hour like the recipe states. This way, they come out just a little crisp and not at all soggy. Plus the shorter cooking time. Seriously, even my husband had thirds. Smile

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 12:09 am
Here in Israel it's pronounced 'Kee-noh-AH'.

I make tabouleh with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics