Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
I just couldn't do it -- again

imasinger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 9:56 pm
Stop working during the time the candles were lit, that is. Except on Shabbos.

How do you ladies do it? I had to pick up DS from mesivta just before lighting, and I work PT and have young kids with lots of extra activities and plenty of energy. We usually eat around 6, and I usually make dinner just before.

What's the secret?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 10:00 pm
making dinner isn't a melocho. sewing is.

imasinger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 10:32 pm
I didn't know that. Isn't cooking a melocho?

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 10:43 pm
There are different minhogim. The most common one, that I know of, is to refrain from doing work that wouldn't be allowed during chol hamoed. So cooking, washing dishes in the regular way, giving baths and many other things would all be fine. Laundry, sewing, home renovations, writing etc. would not be allowed.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 12:38 am
Ive been told not to sew or do laundry, as if it was rosh chodesh

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 1:35 am
The secret is planning ahead how you will rearrange part of your schedule, so you can just sit on the couch and enjoy the candles for half an hour (break up kids' arguments, keep them from playing with the fire, etc.) But it all depends on your particular situation. This year I got up after a while to make eggs for my youngest almost every night - he was suddenly in need of protein at that exact time and would have fallen asleep (bad timing) if he didn't eat right then.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 1:36 am
The secret is planning ahead how you will rearrange part of your schedule, so you can just sit on the couch and enjoy the candles for half an hour (break up kids' arguments, keep them from playing with the fire, etc.) But it all depends on your particular situation. This year I got up after a while to make eggs for my youngest almost every night - he was suddenly in need of protein at that exact time and would have fallen asleep (bad timing) if he didn't eat right then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics