Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Did any of you grow up reading Gordon Korman books?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mizle10

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 11:45 am
What was the one with the dunkin heinz dessert sold in a restaurant called??

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 11:46 am
peace2 wrote:
Those books are the best! You might be able to find them on thriftbooks.com for cheap. At some point over covid we ordered a lot of the oldies and the adults were laughing out loud reading them.
A semester in the life of a garbage bad is hilarious
Also one about a boy who tries taking down his father's big company, can't remember what it's called

Son of Interflux

There's nothing like them!

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 11:50 am
mizle10 wrote:
What was the one with the dunkin heinz dessert sold in a restaurant called??

Is that Losing Joe's place?

He wrote This can't be Happening at McDonnell hall, when he was 12

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 11:51 am
Omg yes!! Beware the fish!!

My favorite was "I want to go home"

Not as squeaky clean and more recent...'son of the mob' is really good too.

imthatawesome

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:46 pm
peace2 wrote:
Those books are the best! You might be able to find them on thriftbooks.com for cheap. At some point over covid we ordered a lot of the oldies and the adults were laughing out loud reading them.
A semester in the life of a garbage bad is hilarious
Also one about a boy who tries taking down his father's big company, can't remember what it's called

Semester in the life of a garbage bag and I want to go home are the funniest in my opinion

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:47 pm
I just ordered a bunch from ebay...

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:52 pm
I love, love his books! Loved them as a kid and then I read them all again when each of my kids read them and I laughed again just as hard each time. Growing up in my house you knew someone was reading Gordon Korman if you heard them laughing hysterically while reading.

I'm a big reader, I've read thousands and thousands of books over the years, and he is my favorite author ever. When my kids get married we convince their new spouses to read his books and so far they all love them. That's when we know they definitely fit into the family Very Happy

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:03 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
I just ordered a bunch from ebay...

Came here to post this too lol. Found a seller who had buy three, get one free. Bought 8 books for under $30 plus tax.

imthatawesome

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:06 pm
Just finished ordering a bunch. Thank you!!
lol I just came here to talk about how great the books are. I didn’t think I’d end up with a shopping cart but I can’t complain

cbsp

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:23 pm
His earlier books are amazingly funny.

His later books and series are hit or miss in terms of appropriateness (your mileage may vary) but I still thoroughly enjoyed pre-reading them (even if I wasn't ok handing them to my kids)

First book of his I read was The Son of Interflux when I was in elementary school. Sheer genius.

imthatawesome

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:14 pm
cbsp wrote:
His earlier books are amazingly funny.

His later books and series are hit or miss in terms of appropriateness (your mileage may vary) but I still thoroughly enjoyed pre-reading them (even if I wasn't ok handing them to my kids)

First book of his I read was The Son of Interflux when I was in elementary school. Sheer genius.

They’re really brilliantly written. Even my father who hates fiction could be heard snorting from laughter while he read them in the bathroom

WonderIma

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:33 pm
I loved them too, even the sports ones! If I recall correctly, not all of them were totally clean. Macdonald Hall books had panty raids, and lets just say I learned some things from another book (maybe "The chicken doesn't skate). I think a theme in "the toilet paper tigers" is that a girl takes a picture of the boys showering in the locker room and uses it to blackmail them. That said, the focus of the books wasn't on relationships and were overall appropriate IMO. I would love to re-read some of them.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:45 pm
I LOVED them - I thought The Zucchini Warrior was great amongst others. I read one of his books for older kids and wasn't impressed as well as it being somewhat inappropriate.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 3:01 pm
Any tips for finding No Coins Please? I turned my middle school kids in to big fans buying what I could find but I think no coins is the best one. Even a secondhand copy
Looking for a copy in Israel but Canada is an option. Not US

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:15 pm
Favorite books EVER as a kid plus as an adult.

However! They are not all clean. Here's my synopsis.

The Bruno and Boots books are all clean except for the "panty raid" in This Can't Be Happening at McDonald Hall! My favorite is Zucchini Warriors. Some issues people might have: There is one scene in Go Jump in the Pool where the girls cut the skirts off their costumes for their "Rocketts" performance. The premise of The War with Mr Wizzle (which they have update to the Wizzle War) is to make their hated supervisor fall in love with some other female faculty so that the 2 hated faculty members would be married and gone.

Toilet Paper Tigers - main female character takes surprise team picture of boys in the "jockstraps" which is a key part of the book.

Losing Joe's Place - very heavy girlfriend/boyfriend themes. Gotta love the Jewish deli owner Mr. Plotnick and his heimish diction in Losing Joe's Place.

No Coins Please and I Want to Go Home - can't think of any problems. Wonderful and brilliant, as are all the others. I want to go home- I literally had stomach pains from laughing so hard. I got these on ebay!

No one said Twinkie Squad! Amazing and incredibly empowering for the socially different/bullied among us. Only issue is it is written in very "urban" language (nothing at all inappropriate) and some sheltered kids might not follow the dialogue.

Son of the Mob - for older teens, strong BF/GF themes. It's implied in the book that they DTD, but not expressly written.

Pop - also for older teens. Strong bf/gf themes.

No More Dead Dogs - bf/gf themes, but the kids are younger (like - middle school, vs Pop and Mob are high school)

Schooled - slight bf/gf theme, but it's very small and irrelevant to the plot, which is his usual incredible funny irony. This is possibly my fav!

Can't think of anything else offhand.

Enjoy the brilliant and funny and irony of all the GK books!

imthatawesome

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:18 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:

The Bruno and Boots books are all clean except for the "panty raid" in This Can't Be Happening at McDonald Hall! My favorite is Zucchini Warriors. Some issues people might have: There is one scene in Go Jump in the Pool where the girls cut the skirts off their costumes for their "Rocketts" performance. The premise of The War with Mr Wizzle (which they have update to the Wizzle War) is to make their hated supervisor fall in love with some other female faculty so that the 2 hated faculty members would be married and gone.

Toilet Paper Tigers - main female character takes surprise team picture of boys in the "jockstraps" which is a key part of the book.

Losing Joe's Place - very heavy girlfriend/boyfriend themes. Gotta love the Jewish deli owner Mr. Plotnick and his heimish diction in Losing Joe's Place.

No Coins Please and I Want to Go Home - can't think of any problems. Wonderful and brilliant, as are all the others. I want to go home- I literally had stomach pains from laughing so hard. I got these on ebay!

No one said Twinkie Squad! Amazing and incredibly empowering for the socially different/bullied among us. Only issue is it is written in very "urban" language (nothing at all inappropriate) and some sheltered kids might not follow the dialogue.

Son of the Mob - for older teens, strong BF/GF themes. It's implied in the book that they DTD, but not expressly written.

No More Dead Dogs - bf/gf themes, but the kids are younger (like - middle school, vs Pop and Mob are high school)

Schooled - slight bf/gf theme, but it's very small and irrelevant to the plot, which is his usual incredible funny irony. This is possibly my fav!

I did list Twinkie squad in my original post if that helps. I love the book. And frolicking amongst the bulrushes

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:19 pm
imthatawesome wrote:
I did list Twinkie squad in my original post if that helps. I love the book. And frolicking amongst the bulrushes

Sorry I missed it! Yes...so good!

URHL

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:22 pm
Has no one mentioned "who is Bugs Potter"?!?!
That was my absolute favorite!!!

sushilover

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to write this! I have to check them out. I'll probably censor some parts

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:39 pm
I just realized No Coins Please has a very slight boyfriend/girlfriend theme. But really minor and no big deal in my opinion. Very incidental to the plot.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room