Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Question To the non vaxer
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:50 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Actually, I hear more hysteria from ADULTS about THEMSELVES.

Babies are generally not immunized before 1 year. And most people wouldn't think twice about going to Israel for Sukkos with a 6-month old.

I would think 100 times before traveling with an infant to an area with an outbreak. In fact, I didn't go.

I don't know where you're getting your "facts" from.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:01 pm

Why are you so scared FOR YOURSELF if you are fully vaccinated?

You wanna know why?
Because I am PREGNANT and not immune. THAT'S why.
Because I cant go to a FAMILY WEDDING in Monsey.
Because my husband is working in New York for the entire summer, while I am left behind, stuck SUPER CRAZY OUT OF TOWN and faaarrrrrr from my husband for over 2 months in my eighth and ninth month.
Because after my baby is born, I cant bring him/her to my family in New York because s/he will be unvaccinated until a year.

I agree with another poster. Cut the cr@p.

mommyla

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:16 pm
I'm not the OP, but I'll answer.

Why does the CDC report misleading numbers for measles mortality rates? Please back up this statement. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.
Why are there marketing campaigns for vaccination? Shouldn't that be between people and their doctors? No, it's not between people and their doctors, because vaccinating is a civil responsibility and it affects the lives of everyone else. If there wasn't an outbreak now, I wouldn't have had to vaccinate my baby ahead of schedule (which meant pushing off some of her other shots).
Why do you need to use hate and threats and force, and can't have civil discussion? I am not one for hate and threats and force, but I am disturbed by those why have no regard for the lives and opinions of others and who try to push their agenda on others.
Why are you so scared FOR YOURSELF if you are fully vaccinated? I am scared for those who cannot be vaccinated, and for those in the minority who are not immune despite getting vaccinated.
Why are you not afraid of any of the many many non vaccine-preventable diseases, many of which are remarkably similar to VPDs? I am. If there were vaccines for those non-VPDs, I'd give them. And I am extra cautious in flu and RSV seasons, too.

Not sure why I'm even bothering to answer, but those questions seemed easy enough.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:34 pm
Re CDC changing numbers:

In the 1960's, published data by the CDC demonstrated a 1/10,000 mortality rate from measles. Now they somehow claim a 1/1,000 mortality rate.

Are they switching to only using reported cases, despite knowing the real numbers are much higher? Are they fudging things entirely? Or has medical knowledge devolved drastically?

unexpected

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:38 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I have had grandchildren hospitalized for RSV but is there dangerous sequelae to RSV and was RSV ever eradicated by vaccines?

My baby who was hospitalized for rsv went on to have multiple hospitalizations for pneumonia and still has moderate damage to his lungs at age 16. Doctors are clear that these are not uncommon side effects from his rsv at 6 weeks.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:00 pm
unexpected wrote:
My baby who was hospitalized for rsv went on to have multiple hospitalizations for pneumonia and still has moderate damage to his lungs at age 16. Doctors are clear that these are not uncommon side effects from his rsv at 6 weeks.

Wow. that's scary. I panicked when my (sick) child had rsv & was really scared if he'll have lung damage (has airway issue but bh lungs good). I remembered having read that lots of kids that had RSV also have asthma. I discussed it with a doctor who said its not necessarily the RSV that triggers the asthma, only kids who already have breathing problems are more likely to get RSV plus complications.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:08 pm
Interesting, because my daughter with a bad case of RSV does not have asthma, while another daughter who had a mild case (under observation for one day in hospital) had bad asthma for a while, with many many ER trips needed.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:11 pm
Interesting, because my daughter with a bad case of RSV does not have asthma, while another daughter who had a mild case (under observation for one day in hospital) had bad asthma for a while, with many many ER trips needed.

There's not necessarily a correlation. that's it.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:23 pm
unexpected wrote:

Okay so RSV can permanently damage the lungs but what would have prevented it? Measles is preventable.

unexpected

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:44 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Okay so RSV can permanently damage the lungs but what would have prevented it? Measles is preventable.

Agree

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:50 pm
There actually a vaccine for RSV. It is expensive and not usually given.

But transmission is preventable: If people didn't go around sick, they wouldn't pass it on to vulnerable infants.

yerushamama

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:54 pm
There actually a vaccine for RSV. It is expensive and not usually given.

But transmission is preventable: If people didn't go around sick, they wouldn't pass it on to vulnerable infants.

True. The problem is that we don't always know when we are incubating something - hence the importance of vaccinating against those diseases that can be eradicated.

As to the question in the original post, if the ads were vague, they may have been trying to get people to come, not knowing exactly what it was about, to explain their side to those who "just don't understand".

I do vaccinate. There are vaccines that I push off to slightly later than the regular schedule (MMR at 15 rather than 12 months) based on my doctor's recommendations for each child individually. I am curious to hear some of their claims, to better enable me to refute those claims for myself. No, vaccines are not perfect. A friend was partially paralyzed due to an allergic reaction to a "benign" contaminant in one batch of the flu vaccine. She also still vaccinates - just not against the flu.

itsmeima

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
These are real questions that I'd really like to hear SN for.Why are there so many signs hanging and telemarketers calling?
Why are you going?
You did so much research, and you will never change your mind so why are you going tonight?
Why is this event even necessary, who is it for.
Why is the add so vague? Why not just come out clearly and say what it's about? Why are you handing out prizes? (Sounds so childish)
Who do you want should come that it's so important for you.

What's with the live and let live? Why do you need to sell your opinion?

These are questions that I would like non vaxers to answer so please don't answer if you vaccinate your kids.

Some reading material for YT: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/do.....f-pie

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:15 pm
yerushamama wrote:
True. The problem is that we don't always know when we are incubating something - hence the importance of vaccinating against those diseases that can be eradicated.

I imagine that if everyone was careful not to go out when they were sick, then we'd get a very significant reduction in disease transmission. Possibly even more effective than a vaccine.

Even measles isn't contagious until the person has a fever.

yerushamama

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:50 pm
I imagine that if everyone was careful not to go out when they were sick, then we'd get a very significant reduction in disease transmission. Possibly even more effective than a vaccine.

Even measles isn't contagious until the person has a fever.

Fevers pop up suddenly - even when one is already out. Not everyone is able to leave work immediately when they feel ill, even if they do realize right away .

People who are ill need to go out to go to the doctor.

Many diseases are contagious before a person realizes that they are ill.

As for measles, if that is the case, why is it spreading? Either people aren't necessarily aware that they have it, or they don't care about spreading it. For all we know, at least some of the anti-vaxx lectures are to educate people about this issue. I certainly hope so.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 5:37 am
As I have posted many times, my youngest son was a 27 week preemie and we lived in fear of RSV. The type of cold that doesn't keep an adult home from work, could be devastating to a fragile preemie. No doctor, however, even mentioned measles and our preemie was born in '89.

Now while RSV was one of my biggest fears as a parent, my grown up preemie, who lives in Rockland, has had to give his older kids their second MMR early, his baby got the shot at 6 months, and my son and I needed both MMRs. My son wouldn't let sick people near his kids if he can prevent it but they are in pre-school and daycare and he is the type of parent who runs his kids to the doctor at the slightest possibility of illness.

What I am basically saying is that I didn't have to worry about measles as a parent but my children do and measles sounds more contagious than RSV although I don't really know how long RSV can live in air or on surfaces.

I have read the stories of the SSPE brain deterioration that happens years after a baby or small child recovers from measles and it is very scary that a beautiful child can be a ticking time bomb waiting to die a horrible death in late childhood or early adulthood.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 6:05 am
Why are we so scared for ourselves?

Because the vaccine is only 97% effective. What if I, or my husband, or one of my children, falls in the 3% who can't get immunity from the vaccines?

And I've had a child hospitalized from a vaccine preventable illness. I used to be a delayed vaxer, and she got an infection that she wouldn't have gotten if she'd been vaccinated on time. B"H she's fine, but my story could have ended differently.

nchr

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
As I have posted many times, my youngest son was a 27 week preemie and we lived in fear of RSV. The type of cold that doesn't keep an adult home from work, could be devastating to a fragile preemie. No doctor, however, even mentioned measles and our preemie was born in '89.

Now while RSV was one of my biggest fears as a parent, my grown up preemie, who lives in Rockland, has had to give his older kids their second MMR early, his baby got the shot at 6 months, and my son and I needed both MMRs. My son wouldn't let sick people near his kids if he can prevent it but they are in pre-school and daycare and he is the type of parent who runs his kids to the doctor at the slightest possibility of illness.

What I am basically saying is that I didn't have to worry about measles as a parent but my children do and measles sounds more contagious than RSV although I don't really know how long RSV can live in air or on surfaces.

I have read the stories of the SSPE brain deterioration that happens years after a baby or small child recovers from measles and it is very scary that a beautiful child can be a ticking time bomb waiting to die a horrible death in late childhood or early adulthood.

And recent studies have shown the incidence of SSPE is 1 in 660 in the state of CA (based on measles outbreaks over the past 30 years).

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:23 pm
Just to put the 1/660 odds of getting SSPE after measles in perspective: The risk of dying from anesthesia during surgery is now 1 in 1 million. That's 1515 -- more than one thousand, five hundred -- times higher than the risk of SSPE. Yet which of us goes into surgery without worrying about anesthesia?. Parents who don't vax their kids should be much, much more worried about their kid developing SSPE, c"v.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 3:29 pm
Where on earth are they getting their data? https://academic.oup.com/ije/a.....21076
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics