Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Diaper Rash

Aribenj

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 9:43 am
And a pretty bad one.

23 month old DS has had a horrible diaper rash for months. It itches him and the whole top layer of his skin is gone. It's the area between his thigh and his groin and he has some red spots all over. It started out as a yeast infection and then that went away and this came instead (this is not a yeast infection though)

We've tried desitin, balmex, AD, normal and with zinc oxyde, Triple paste and that medicated stuff. We even tried switching to cloth, but I think that made it worse because now he's wet ALL the time.

The only thing that kind of works is corn starch, but it only makes it 70% better and only works when it's at it's worst. In other words, the top layer of his skin grows back but it stays red and then the next day it's bad again.

All of these changes were per my doctor's suggestions. The next step (so she says) is to potty train him. I am NOT potty training my 23 month old son 2 months before a new baby comes into the house. Forget the fact that he is SO not ready.

I have no ideas left... and it's really affecting his sleep and comfort in general.

Anyone?

Shalshelet

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:43 pm
Are you sure that its only diaper rash? could it be another type of rash?

goodheart

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:52 pm
Did the dr. see if it is a rash? maybe it became worse that he needs a stronger pres.
I think corn starch is the best. maybe leave it air dry a little
that would help it too. hes prob. in a lot of pain?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 7:22 pm
Definitely have the doc look at it again to determine if it's just diaper rash, or something else.
Try giving him asidophilus 2x a day to promote the good bacteria in his body (a pro-biotic from the healthfood store- expensive- but well worth it.) We use Mega Flora.
Yes, keep him naked a few hours a day. Or better yet, place a waterproof mattress pad on his bed and keep him naked at night. Yes, you will have to wash everything in the morning, but it will help his rash heal.
Use a drop of Lotramine or Lotrazone (anti-fungal cream) on the area 2x a day, place diaper cream on top, and seal it all with plain cornstarch, to help set it in. For the rest of the diaper changes, use only the diaper cream and the corn starch.
If that doesn't work, make a paste from Mylanta (the plain flavor, not mint which will burn the rash) and Caldesene powder and smear him up with that during each diaper change.
I find that using all of the above usually helps.
Since it's been so long, you just might want to take him to a dermatologist.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 7:36 pm
I would potty train him ... sounds like he has ultra sensitive skin ... and since they hate the rash - are relieved to be free and easier to toilet train ...

also they have a desitin baby powder which keeps you dry and medicated without all those ointments which keep you wet ...

Mommy007

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:03 pm
Did you try going to a pediatric allergist?

My son used to also get bad diaper rashes way too often so we took him to an allergist. It showed he has a small allergy to egg whites. We stopped giving him plain eggs and immediatly we saw a difference b"h. He can eat foods with eggs in it but just not plain eggs. If he has too much food made with eggs we see a little rash coming but so not as bad as before.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:06 pm
my son had a chronic diaper rash. The ONLY thing that made it go away was when pediatrician told me to put lotrimin on and then a top layer of silvadene- yup, that's for burns. My sister just got it for her child (prescription for silvadene) and within a day, the rash started clearing up.

Mommy007

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:11 pm
Octopus, I agree with the silverdine and lotramin. Those are 2 staples in my house!

I think some kids also are just more prone to diaper rashes.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:13 pm
I ran out of my silverdene. Sad

Mommy007

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:14 pm
Your doc wont call in another perscription for you? Its so good to have in the house just in case!

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:15 pm
I just switched peds and I wonder if out of the blue if he will give me a prescription.

Mommy007

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:18 pm
I can't see why not? I am the one who actually suggested it to my ped. and then asked him to call it in for me. I also just switched doctors! I hate it!! I loved my ped.! I am already on to the 3rd one! :-(

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:26 pm
okay, so then I'm going to bite the bullet and ask. Very Happy

Aribenj

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 10:04 pm
Thanks for your suggestions guys. His rash seems to be going away now. I didn't change anything. I mean, I just stuck to corn starch, and it's almost gone. But I will keep those in mind for next time (which will hopefully never come... poor baby!)

RightOnTarget

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 10:09 pm
How about going for a second opinion to different doc to have a look at it. If your ped is not helpful try someone else.

I had an experience where I changed ped cuz the first one wasn't too helpful and got total different advice from the second one which was succesful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics