Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Yucky cradle cap

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 8:07 pm
I have a year old kid with awful cradle cap
sometimes I try to pick at it to see if it comes off and patches of hair
come off with it!.. my kid does not have alot of hair to spare
any good tips for getting rid of it is much appreciated

sun

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 8:22 pm
try rubbing onto his head baby oil, and then comb it out with a comb smoothly..

g'luck

Rivky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 8:26 pm
I second sun's advice. Should work.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 9:33 pm
Olive oil is probably healthier. Rub is and then take a baby brush and brush his head in circular motions. Then take a comb and gently comb it out. Then bathtime.

mandksima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:59 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Olive oil is probably healthier. Rub is and then take a baby brush and brush his head in circular motions. Then take a comb and gently comb it out. Then bathtime.

Can I do that to my 4 month old or should I just leave him alone? He has plenty of hair to cover it, I just get so tempted to start picking at it...

mom2bsn

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:06 pm
they make special shampoo which takes it off

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:08 pm
It bothers me on my little one, but on my big one I'm quite grateful for it. Cradle cap (according to my MIL) helps prevent lice, because they can't get close enough to the scalp. So DS#1 can keep his cradle cap.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:13 pm
mandksima wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

Can I do that to my 4 month old or should I just leave him alone? He has plenty of hair to cover it, I just get so tempted to start picking at it...

I did it with Nati when he was a newborn. Of course my boy is STILL mostly bald at 18 months, but still...

tm

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 12:08 am
my ds also had horrible cradle cap (in addition to dry skin) and the dermatologist gave me a prescription shampoo which really helped. I don't remember the name of it.
by the way, someone once told me Johnsons shampoo makes cradle cap worse- don't know if it's true but I stopped using it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 12:32 am
there is no reason to leave dead skin hanging on the baby's head ... I would go with the oil (olive or baby if you don't want him to smell like a salad) and gently take it off ... if the hair comes out it was probably gonna come out eventually anyways ...

YALT

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 3:37 am
I had the exact same thing! DS' hair is getting nice'n'long for his upsherin. All of a sudden he got this crazy cradle cap. Every time I'd try picking out a bit, a clump of hair would come with it. I was so nervous I ran to the doctor!
Just a bad case of cradle cap!
I've tried all store bought special and non special shampoos in past - none worked!
So I tried what my neighbor suggested - exactly what Yesha said.
I used regular baking oil cuz I was out of oliveoil.
When I was at the dr's office a week later, he looked at DS and said he didn't know what I was doing, but to keep it up!
DD came out with a reg. case of cradle cap right then, and so I did it on her too. It worked.
She was probably about 3-4 months then.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 4:12 am
DS had it when he was a baby too, and I picked it all out after oiling it, and he was bald! It was especially wierd when he was only half-picked, so had some bald patches and some where there was still hair and cradle cap, but I made sure to finish it (apparently if you dont get rid of it all, it keeps coming back), and his hair grew back in within a few months.
DS2 started to get it, and I didnt want to go through the whole thing again, so used head and shoulders shampoo, which is made for dandruff, and within a few washes it went. Once of twice it looked like it was starting to come back, so I used head and shoulders again, and that kept it away.

mommy24

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 5:07 am
my kids have had had that too- I only realized when my son once showed me he was going bald- little did heknow how much hair he really pulled out when he was scrathcing at his head. I have tried everything what I found works best- and I have done this att all ages and works well that I didn't see recurrence again.

I massaged baby oil into the hair, then I used those fine baby combs to comb ---not a brush--- through the hair. this should pick out all of it as you comb through. afterwards I would wash the hair with just a drop of head and shoulders- or something similar. this would work and I never would see cradle cap in that child again-- or at least not that bad. when I would see a few flakes or something I would just use the head and shoulders instead of the regular shampoo I use.

TSR

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 5:56 am
I just wanted to add that you should leave the oil on for at least 2 hours. just put a hat over it. Then comb it out with a baby comb. Don't pick it out. I did this for my 2 month old and it all came out, and almost all of her hair stayed on her head!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics