Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Left soup on stove overnight...is it ok?

daisy

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 9:28 am
I know there was a thread on this somewhere, but can't find it.

I left a pot of chicken soup out overnight because I was waiting for it to cool down and of course forgot to put it away! I know my mother will say it's fine. What do you think? It had been cooking for hours before.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 10:20 am
Chicken soup takes hours and hours to cool down. I never put hot stuff straight into the fridge, for Kashrus reasons.

In winter months, do you have heat in middle of the night? We don't, so the room temperature is cool also.

I sometimes wake up 3:00 -4:00 AM on Shabbos to put the leftover soup away (I make a big pot and we finish it during the week), and it is still warm.

If the soup looks unclear, then there might be a problem. That's how I judge. Or taste is off.

If it's obviously off, I'd throw it out, but if it seems to be OK, it probably is, but in any case, what I would do is bring it to a rolling boil again, and let it boil for a while, just as a precaution.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 11:20 am
I would throw it away. Soup like this is a great habitat for bacteria. There's a reason why in science laboratories they refer to what they grow bacteria in as "broth!"

I know it's painful, but I get very worried personally about food poisoning.

nicole81

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 11:36 am
I would also throw it away. sometimes things smell/taste okay, but you can still get sick from it afterwards.

nobody28

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 11:38 am
This happened to me before. We ate it and we were fine. But that doesn't really mean anything 100%.

Sorry!

MMEC123

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 11:58 am
I would throw it out. I know how frustrating that is. For some reason for a string of about 4 weeks in a row I either left it out Thursday night (when I cooked it) or forgot to put it away Friday night (so we only got one meal out of it). I was so frustrated that I stopped making chicken soup (made fruit soup instead!) for months. I finally just got up the courage to start making chicken soup again.

daisy

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 12:20 pm
In reality I'm a big throw-it-out person. The only reason I would consider keeping it, is because when I actually thought about it, putting a large pot of hot soup in the refrigerator would still take a long time to cool off, plus it would probably affect the other items in the fridge. Is the cooling off process that different in a fridge than on the counter? Just wondering.

RedVines

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 2:14 pm
When in doubt-Throw out!

Thats what my mom always says!

daisy

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 3:03 pm
Of course I threw it out in the end. Made another soup out of some of the cholent meat.

roza

Post Fri, Dec 09 2005, 3:15 pm
If it's a huge pot- I would say -its ok.
small pot is not ok.

raizy

Post Sat, Dec 10 2005, 6:09 pm
it happened to me once we kept it ate it and survived to tell the story.. if it smells and looks o.k. then it is o.k.

cindy324

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 4:09 pm
I don't know if this would help aany of you, but when I cook soup Thursday night and want to make sure it's put away after it has cooled off, I leave on my kitchen light and my bedroom is right next to the kitchen, so I usually wake up in the middle of the night if the light is shining in my eyes. Friday night , well it's usually no prob in the winter, but in the summer...different story
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen