Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Some recipes from my collection which U may enjoy

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 5:49 am
Microwave Orange Yam Bake

1 1/2 - 2 lb yams cooked and peeled or 1 1/2 canned yams, drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I will use oil and less than this amount)
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
3 Tablespoons undiluted oj concentrate
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Topping:

2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped pecans

In medium mixing bowl, whip potatoes with electric mixer.
In 1-cup measure, microwave margarine at High 30-45 seconds, or until melted. Stir in potatoes. Blend remaining ingredients except topping into potatoes. Pour into 1-qt. casserole.
In smal bowl, mix together topping ing. until well blended and crumbly. Sprinkle topping over potatoes.
Microwave at High 3 minutes. Reduce power to 50% and microwave 8-14 minutes or until heater through and set (center will remain somewhat creamy), rotating 1/4 turn once during cooking (this was before turntables in the microwave). Let stand 3-5 minutes.
To microwave yams: Wash and pierce potatoes. Microwave at High 13-19 minutes, or until potatoes yield to pressure. Rearrange once. Let stand 5 minutes.

Bulgur Salad
This recipe is for just 2 servings but I multiply it to make it serve more. It's the best one I have tried so far.

1/3 cup bulgur wheat
Water
1 clove garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (the real thing, not from a bottle)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
2 sprigs parsley
1 green onion
4 mint leaves (optional)
1 large tomato

Measure bulgur into a small bowl; add hot tap water to cover. Split garlic clove; push down into bulgur; let stand about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. With scissors snip in parsley, green onion, and mint, if using. Chop tomato (on a plate to save juice); add tomato and juice to dressing.
Remove garlic from bulgur; drain in a strainer; press out excess water with back of spoon; add to tomato mixture. Mix well; cover; refrigerate several hours to overnight. ( I don't put the tomatoes in until I am ready to serve because I don't like them mushy)

Cabbage Nut Salad

Ingredients:

1 cabbage
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar

1. Cut cabbage into thin strips.
2. Fry pine nuts, sesame seeds and pecan pieces in a small amount of olive oil until toasted (careful not to burn). The amounts of the nuts can vary depending on how nutty you like your salad.
3. Mix cabbage and nuts together in a large bowl.
4. mix olive oil, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl or cup. Microwave about 1 minute to heat.
5. Pour sauce over the cabbage nut salad and mix well.
6. Let the salad sit and marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 5:57 am
Thanks for sharing!!

willow

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 6:47 am
Tamiri, you don't cook the Bulgar?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 6:48 am
Nope.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 2:34 pm
Tamiri, I made the bulgar salad for Shabbos - a real hit! Thanks so much, this will go into my repertoire.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 2:43 pm
I made it for before the fast - tripled it. We finished the last of it today. It's a good, filling food which takes a while to be digested.

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 4:40 pm
I had last min guests today - I made cabbage salad with mayonnaise and sesame seeds, uncooked. It was really good. Pine nuts would have been good too.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 3:14 pm
Question: Can regular wheat berries be used for this recipe?

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 3:57 pm
I doubt you could use regular wheatberries without cooking them. They're pretty hard. Bulgur is fine.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 4:09 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Question: Can regular wheat berries be used for this recipe?

I doubt it will absorb and soften the way bulgur (cracked, broken wheat berries) does. Do you have a wheat berry crusher at home? Very Happy

mandksima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 4:27 pm
Tamiri, I made the cabbage salad but it tasted like it needed a lot more sugar. Did the recipe originally call for more? Maybe after it marinates, it will taste different. Also, I didn't have pine nuts so I used slivered almonds. Should still taste fine.

I made the bulgar salad also but ate most of it so I had to make more!

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 4:34 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I doubt you could use regular wheatberries without cooking them. They're pretty hard. Bulgur is fine.
I'm willing to cook them Smile the truth is I don't usually pop into the health food store, that's where you get bulgur, right?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 4:35 pm
The recipes are exactly as I copied them. This is the recipe. I always tweak my food before I serve it. I can't remember the last time I made this (in America? 5 years ago?) so I can't comment on whether I added sugar or not.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 4:36 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I'm willing to cook them Smile the truth is I don't usually pop into the health food store, that's where you get bulgur, right?

In Israel you can get it pre packaged at the supermarket as well. It's a common food. Check out your super wherever you live - you may be surprised.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics