Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Queens info please please please

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 10:54 pm
It looks like we are moving to Queens / Main St. / Jewel Ave. area (?) Please please please tell me anything you know about Queens. Elementary Schools, community, food/clothing shopping, anything, the good, bad, and ugly. TYSM.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:55 pm
I live on the other side of Queens near Chofetz Chaim. we love love Queens. bh. I find it to be like a chilled,not fancy version of Flatbush, or maybe 5 Towns. ppl are generally more laid back in dress (not super fancy), not Brooklyn Bais Yaakovy if you know what I mean. for example- you will feel totally ok with going shopping in a snood and mo makeup. people are also so much more friendly and low maintenance. the two main groceries are Seasons and Aarons- Seasons is more expensive, but a better shopping experience, Aarons has great sales and cheap produce and a larger selection, but is very crowded always. other groceries are on main street like Brachs (usually empty and more of an old feel I personally really enjoy shopping there) and Wassermans (the store with the best hours).
there are lots of shuls. not sure in jewel ave area but I think there is a yeshiva Ohr Chaim nearby.
in general, Main street is where all the restaurants, stores, library and businesses are located.
the main schools here are bnos malka and bais yaakov of queens. byq is a phenomonal school- I work there and it is very academic. bnos malka is also a great school although I d not know much about it.

hope this helps!
any specific q??

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:53 am
Main St and Jewel is right near the bus to the subway so if you or DH work in Manhattan, it's very convenient.
You can get pretty much everyhing you need on Main St; lots of restaurants, kosher markets, bakery, seforim stores, pharmacies, barber, cleaners, optometrist, wig salons, clothing, nails...More Shuls than you can count.
Ask more questions, let us know what you're looking for.
Subscribe to the KGH Shuls yahoo group- has lots of useful info
Also join Midreshet Adina's list updates@midreshetadina.org, for info on shiurim and chessed opportunities.
In addition to the girls schools mentioned, there are also 2 boy schools,
Yeshiva Ketana, and Tiferes Moshe. Also Yeshiva of Central Queens (YCQ) day school has a number of more right wing families. Coed through 4th grade. Do you need preschools? That may be tough because they fill up very quickly (like right after Succos) I don't know where you are coming from, but I will add, that while KGH (there are other frum neighborhoods in Queens) is more relaxed and friendly than other communities, and while it attracts a nice number of BTs and OOTers, IT IS STILL NY. The "in town mentality" does exist here, though to a lesser extent.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 5:26 am
I love love queens. I grew up there and my family is still there.
main street, jewel ave has EVERYTHING you need from pharmacies to restaurants , groceries and parks for the kids. yummy yummy pizza places, shaitel machers, banks post office etc etc etc.
there are many young familes there (and plenty of old ones too) lots of children lots of friends lots of fun. as mentioned before there are good elementry schools for girls (bais yaakov of queens in kew gardens ( I was a student there - with great results Smile andbnos malka) for boys tiferes moshe (also kew gardens) and yeshiva ketana (near your are I think) and ycq in kgh also
but then again the posters before me mentioned all that.
I personally love the type of people there - a huge mix of every type which is why you would find it a little more laid back.

it would help to know what type of place you are coming from

do you have anymore specific things to ask?

rd0715

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:27 pm
I live in queens and its very nice like other posters say very lay back
if you need any info pm me

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 10:15 am
OP here, thank you so so much for the positive replies.

I'm coming from Englewood NJ and both of my boys went to RYNJ which I absolutely love so this is tough for me (deeeeeep breaths). We are looking into Tiferet Moshe. Thoughts on TifMo/Yeshiva Ketana vs. RYNJ?

What are the significant differences between TifMo and Yeshiva Ketana? Where do boys go to high school and beyond from there?

Also, where do people go if they need a mall type clothing shopping?

Also, do pple generally rent or buy?

TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY!!!

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 10:48 am
Tiferes Moshe is a neighborhood type school. Very large, slightly chaotic. Yeshiva Ketana is much smaller, more yeshivish. mush stronger emphasis on hebrew than english studies.
In terms of girls schools, Bnos malka is phenomenal! I love it there and can answer any questions you have about it.
In terms of the 'laid back' people, I feel it depends largly on your circles. My circles are slightly fancier, such as buying kids very expensive clothing etc. but there is a hige mix here

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 1:06 pm
What is the deal with the building "The Opal?" on 153rd st? Is it in a good location / is it a popular place for frum jews?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 1:38 pm
I am not from Queens myself but have a close relative there. They have had a number of kids in Tiferes Moshe and I have to share that even secondhand I am very impressed with it, they seem exceptionally warm and attentive to the students' needs and individuality. Several of the kids I know who went there had some learning/behavior issues and the school handled it very well - none of the pressure that turns people off, lots of love, positive attitude. In general it seems like a really great place in every way, I would love to have had this kind of school to send my kids to!

I also know people who have sent to both BY and Bnos Malka and have been very happy. The girl's high school, Shevach, is also supposed to be exceptional, everyone I know who sent there loved it.

There is a mall not too far from Queens, I think it's called Roosevelt Field or something? There is also another shopping center close by right off the LIE, a Kohls/TJMaxx/Costco type of place IIRC.

It seems like a really great place to live. Pretty expensive, though. I hear it is hard to find nice rentals but I don't know if it gets easier with a higher budget, the hard to find rentals is what I heard from young couples looking to move into the Chofetz Chaim kollel community. I don't know if more is available for bigger or more established families.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
OP here, thank you so so much for the positive replies.

I'm coming from Englewood NJ and both of my boys went to RYNJ which I absolutely love so this is tough for me (deeeeeep breaths). We are looking into Tiferet Moshe. Thoughts on TifMo/Yeshiva Ketana vs. RYNJ?

What are the significant differences between TifMo and Yeshiva Ketana? Where do boys go to high school and beyond from there?

Also, where do people go if they need a mall type clothing shopping?

Also, do pple generally rent or buy?

TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY!!!

There really is little comparison between RYNJ and TifMO. The secular education just doesn't compare. Same with Yeshiva Ketana.
People rent. Buying is VERY expensive. A fully attached can run you about$#600K
REnting is also not cheap. To rent a house is more than $2500/mth. look at apartments....it's a really nice community. Some great shuls.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating