Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I feel like Purim will be cancelled in New York!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
same here. I have a backup plan, I have food in the freezer for a meal. It wont be the same.

My plan is to run out to Rockland for takeout Smile

ces

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:41 pm
I notice people keep mentioning the minimum of 2. It's actually a minimum of 1 - איש לרעהו, singular (but מנות, there have to be 2 items in the package). As opposed to מתנות לאביונים, both words plural - 2 gifts each to 2 poor people. Purim Sameach!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:58 pm
momX4 wrote:
I yelled at everyone to come quickly. The kids thought Eliyuhu Hanavi was at the door!
it was especially extraordinary considering that it was a leap year so pesach was in late april!!!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:21 am
Youse guys are a bunch of wimps. Are any of youse native New Yorkers or do you all come from someplace like Alabama? Because tradition has it that nothing shuts down New York . New York takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', so they say. Folks play football in central Park during a blizzard, I hear. Chinese takeout places are open for business as soon as the owners shovel the snow off the sidewalk enough to open the door, according to all reports. And for gosh sakes, what's with the shlach-monos bit? None of youse has to hike three miles to your nearest neighbor to deliver MM. Some of you can deliver to 20 families right in your own building, no overshoes or coat needed. Others of you can deliver to 20 families without ever crossing a street. So quit being ridiculous. You can't drive from Monsey to Brooklyn to your in-laws? Fine; don't. There are plenty of people you can celebrate with right at home. Feels like Purim will be cancelled, indeed. How ridiculous can you get? Aside from the fact that the forecast is for a few inches of snow, not a blizzard. In Rochester that much snow, or should I say that little snow, wouldn't even make anyone hiccup.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:27 am
I feel bad for the kids, who look forward to this day. I'm afraid I'll be sitting at home for most of the day. Mendy hates the cold and his stroller is hard to push in the snow. oh well.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:34 am
amother wrote:
Youse guys are a bunch of wimps. Are any of youse native New Yorkers or do you all come from someplace like Alabama? Because tradition has it that nothing shuts down New York . New York takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', so they say. Folks play football in central Park during a blizzard, I hear. Chinese takeout places are open for business as soon as the owners shovel the snow off the sidewalk enough to open the door, according to all reports. And for gosh sakes, what's with the shlach-monos bit? None of youse has to hike three miles to your nearest neighbor to deliver MM. Some of you can deliver to 20 families right in your own building, no overshoes or coat needed. Others of you can deliver to 20 families without ever crossing a street. So quit being ridiculous. You can't drive from Monsey to Brooklyn to your in-laws? Fine; don't. There are plenty of people you can celebrate with right at home. Feels like Purim will be cancelled, indeed. How ridiculous can you get? Aside from the fact that the forecast is for a few inches of snow, not a blizzard. In Rochester that much snow, or should I say that little snow, wouldn't even make anyone hiccup.

Dear, dear.

Do calm down.

No one is being quite as dramatic as you.

We spoiled New Yorkers are accustomed to noise and color on the streets on Purim. Snow - or even rain - will certainly put a damper on things even as the show - and traffic - goes on almost as usual.

New York may be open for business in every weather, but as a mother, snow means being locked up at home because the streets are not traversible with babies and double strollers.

Everything is relative - and for us, there's been way too much snow this winter. We were not thrilled about the forecast of dreary weather davka on Purim.

I know all about the frostbitten prisoners in Siberia, but for me, right now, this is an unpleasant sitiuation.

Please forgive me for kvetching.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:39 am
amother wrote:
I do. Boy, was that a year! I must have been about 7-8, and now I'm 28. The wind was blowing real strongly. There was snow on the ground in williamsburg, piles and piles of white. don't remember if it was actually snowing then (probably wasnt), but I remember how the mishloach manos we brought for my grandmother got scattered all oveer the street because of the wind. my oh my was that a year!

I remember. It was March of '92! My queen Esther costume got wet and muddy from being dragged in the snow.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:41 am
greenfire wrote:
there might be 2 feet of snow

Hidden: 

Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 9:32 am
Here in Monsey we're currently snowed in. The snowplows aren't out yet. (Why not? Didnt someone tell htem it's PUrim???) my dh went to the closest local shul by foot and when he comes home we'll see if I can get to the next minyan at the farther shul. otherwise he'll read to me at home. how will we get oour shlach manos around? Hope they shovel out there. WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR????

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 9:37 am
I'm so sorry about the snow you guys. My DD is dressed as Elsa the snow queen from Frozen and she requested a photo op. Totally didn't think it would get pushed up to the top of the request list like this. My bad!

Wink

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 9:41 am
Maya wrote:
My plan is to run out to Rockland for takeout Smile

Nothing wrong with a Chickies Seuda. In fact, it might be worth it to go up to Monsey (or Teaneck) just for that!

Snow is coming down hard, but the plows and salt trucks are out in NYC. Even tertiary roads were passable when I delivered shaloch manot. If you're coming down the Henry Hudson/West Side Highway, its clear.

Happy Purim, whatever you decide.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 10:52 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I'm so sorry about the snow you guys. My DD is dressed as Elsa the snow queen from Frozen and she requested a photo op. Totally didn't think it would get pushed up to the top of the request list like this. My bad!

Wink

It was YOU... Angry

Now hurry up and make it STOP!!

Or at least ask Hashem to.

Remember this from last year?

http://www.newsnet5.com/weathe.....-stop

groovy1224

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:

In the future, next time you get the urge to post something anonymously, ask yourself why. Is it because it's obnoxious and nasty? Then why are you posting it? What's your problem?

I've been a new yorker my whole life. I know how to handle snow. I've gone to work and school and back in it no problem. It's still a bummer when they're a blizzard and the kids all want to see their friends and family and morahs in costume and exchange shalach manos but can't because the streets are impossible and the sidewalks are worse. People are getting into accidents on the road, some are stranded for the seudah. No one's slitting their wrists over it, but we've all looked forward to this day for weeks, not to mention the children, and it's just really all a wreck now.

But don't worry, next time anyone wants to complain about something, we'll be sure to check with you to see if it's valid, O Anonymous One.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 2:29 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
In the future, next time you get the urge to post something anonymously, ask yourself why. Is it because it's obnoxious and nasty? Then why are you posting it? What's your problem?

I've been a new yorker my whole life. I know how to handle snow. I've gone to work and school and back in it no problem. It's still a bummer when they're a blizzard and the kids all want to see their friends and family and morahs in costume and exchange shalach manos but can't because the streets are impossible and the sidewalks are worse. People are getting into accidents on the road, some are stranded for the seudah. No one's slitting their wrists over it, but we've all looked forward to this day for weeks, not to mention the children, and it's just really all a wreck now.

But don't worry, next time anyone wants to complain about something, we'll be sure to check with you to see if it's valid, O Anonymous One.

Umm. I think she was joking.
happy purim.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 7:12 pm
heidi wrote:
happy purim.

joking or not, someone should tell her this PSA: "youse" is not a word

elisheva25

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 7:19 pm
In all reality Purim today was a little crazy with the snow. But it'll def gave the kids a lot of memories Smile

lifesagift

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 11:26 pm
So I was seriously dancing and singing like a kid in the snow on my block in ny And nobody (I think) saw or heard me.. Which is great because Im quite self conscious.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 11:33 pm
Purim was just... muffled.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 11:42 pm
heidi wrote:
happy purim.

Finally, a poster with brains.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 11:44 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
joking or not, someone should tell her this PSA: "youse" is not a word

Youse is BROOKLYNESE. I'm betting that's how heidi knew it was a joke.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics