Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Washing for bread in the morning and eating all day

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:40 pm
What's the Halacha? I'm usually home all day and very often will find myself not bentching after breakfast because I just want one more thing to eat and then something comes up and after that I'm back at the food LOL and this keeps on cycling till its late afternoon or even night embarrassed . So what's the story, can I still bentch at nite if I washed in the morning and made sure to eat throughout the day? ( does this happen to any of you?)
Anon cause Im embarrassed of my eating habits Smile

mille

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:31 pm
How long were your breaks between eating? And did you have this in mind when you wash? There's a certain amount of time that cannot elapse between bites (and I believe they have to be substantial, maybe a kezayit?) without making a bracha achronah.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:37 pm
As long as you don't let more than 72 minutes lapse between food or drink, you should still be yotzi bentching.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:41 pm
Thanx for responding. Wow feels so strange to be bentching from breakfast after supper but I guess if I ate every 72 min Im good.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:48 pm
You describe me to a tee. I thought I was the only one that did this.
I think I was told that if I eat every 72 minutes it is okay to bench much later. But the best is to ask your rov.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:08 am
There is halacha and then there is the big picture. We are meant to eat and then thank g-d for the food. Thes way you describe it means not only do you not say thank you within a reasonable time frame, but you also dont make any more brachot on food throughout the day. You are missing out on a lot of brachot!

Some hold that if you did not have a particular food in mind when you made the bracha, then it isn't covered by the bracha.

B'dieved you are probably covered by some shita, but no rav is going to approve of this l'chatchila. Better you should bentch the moment you remember to bentch, even more preferably, before you get up from the table.

Maybe you're making bentching too difficult? Perhaps do the short version. Or make up your own super short version by at least saying, 'thank you g-d for the meal' and then call it good.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:32 am
chani8 wrote:
There is halacha and then there is the big picture. We are meant to eat and then thank g-d for the food. Thes way you describe it means not only do you not say thank you within a reasonable time frame, but you also dont make any more brachot on food throughout the day. You are missing out on a lot of brachot!

Some hold that if you did not have a particular food in mind when you made the bracha, then it isn't covered by the bracha.

B'dieved you are probably covered by some shita, but no rav is going to approve of this l'chatchila. Better you should bentch the moment you remember to bentch, even more preferably, before you get up from the table.

Maybe you're making bentching too difficult? Perhaps do the short version. Or make up your own super short version by at least saying, 'thank you g-d for the meal' and then call it good.

Excellent answer. I'm also a "grazer" who nibbles all day long. During the week I love making as many brachot as I can. Very Happy

My answer to the benching issue is to only eat bread on Shabbos. (Helps keep the carbs under control, too!)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 8:51 am
Do talk to a rav. I remember a dayan who taught us halacha in seminary bringing up just this example - washing in the am and benching in the evening as something NOT to do. What one should do? I don't remember, maybe have more discrete meals and snack times? (Do as I say, not as I do Twisted Evil )
But at least you know that this is not unusual or a new thing.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
You describe me to a tee. I thought I was the only one that did this.
I think I was told that if I eat every 72 minutes it is okay to bench much later. But the best is to ask your rov.

When dh's chederr went in trip, they ate some of the sandwich every 72 minutes indeed.

Twinster

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 9:34 am
chani8 wrote:

Good point.

However I found that remembering brochos when snacking all day is a lot more confusing.
Not that I eat all day, but it sometimes happens that I get busy while eating breakfast, taste the food I cook (lunch, dinner), snack, drinks etc.
When you're in the kitchen most of the day, it sounds a lot simpler (and perhaps better halachikly?) to wash once and bentch at the end of the day... Otherwise I find myself forgetting or making too many brochos...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics