Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
4.5 year old holds back bowel movements

mama g

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:33 pm
Does anyone have experience with this? He will have a real bowel movement (gigantic) about once every 1.5-2 weeks; the rest of the time, he holds it in every time he has the urge to push, so that only tiny streaks appear in his diaper. I am tired of wiping teeny streaks of bm several times a day, and am concerned about the health implications of holding it in for so long. The dr is not helpful and just keeps saying to feed him laxatives...

Suppositories work occasionally, bribes/rewards work never. I give him a laxative when it's really bad, but I know I shouldn't because they are not even approved for use by children... But even that rarely works.

Any ideas? He says he's scared to use the potty and that it hurts (of course it does when you only have a bm every 2 weeks, ugh). Help me...

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:35 pm
Where are you located?

iamamother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:43 pm
YES!!!! I have this problem with my dc! I dont think u have a choice other to give him fiber supplements and stool softners.... prunes maybe? if he will eat that...

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:46 pm
Check out www.doctordaum.com

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:16 am
I had this problem with two kids. Then they start having other accidents, and wetting themselves all the time. One kid had an xray. They found three FEET of stool in his colon.

I would increase fiber, give them more to drink. Fruit juices are good. Ask your peds about Miralax. It's a powder you add to their drink. They get it every day and it softens the stool. If the kid is really stuffed up, you may have to use somethjng first to try clean them out. I feel for you. Hatzlacha.

mama g

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 3:54 pm
@Lady Bug -- thanks! Have you used Dr. Daum or know what sort of methods he uses?

@amother -- I wouldn't be surprised about three feet of stool in my guy's colon... I was using Mirilax on the dr's recommendation, but then I read about how terrible long-term use is just last week. I'm going to try increasing his fluids, even though he drinks more than any of my other kids.

@iamamother -- know any ways to get extremely picky eaters to eat prunes? Maybe I could put them in a smoothie? I don't have many ideas, but will maybe google it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training