Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Needlepoint - Where to buy high quality threads?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:20 am
Hello! I just purchased a very expensive needlepoint canvas, and I'm looking for high quality threads. I'd like threads with texture: possibly metallic and velvet as well. I need very many threads, but I do not want to spend over $500 on threads alone. Is that the typical price: I'd say the needlepoint is 12 X 12. I would also want to sew on the occasional bead or crystal. It's my first needlepoint, but I will be following advance textbooks as well. Please let me know approx. how many hours are involved and where I can get good quality threads at the most affordable prices in NY. Anon bec. I'm asking around IRL.

little_mage

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:44 am
I don't know of a specific place in NY, but your best bet is to look for a store that specializes. Where did you buy the canvas from? They should be able to help. I'd also recommend starting with a smaller piece-if you go to some place like Michaels, you can probably buy a small kit for $10-$15 and it will be good practice, so you don't mess up the bigger piece.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:50 am
little_mage wrote:
I don't know of a specific place in NY, but your best bet is to look for a store that specializes. Where did you buy the canvas from? They should be able to help. I'd also recommend starting with a smaller piece-if you go to some place like Michaels, you can probably buy a small kit for $10-$15 and it will be good practice, so you don't mess up the bigger piece.

I bought the canvas from someone who is going out of business. I think that she is very overpriced because she deals with a small clientele and wondering if there was a bigger store in Manhattan.

Thanks

working hard

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:57 am
Just go to any store that sells threads and buy DMC thread. Get the name brand, not an off brand. They also make metallic and velvet thread. DMC is your classic, good reasonably priced embroidery/needlepoint thread.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:14 am
Ambiance on 13th avenue in Boro Park (50th or 51st street, I think) has DMC brand threads, as well as specialty threads.

Not sure how pricing compares, though.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:47 pm
Needles and knots. Its around ave R and nostrand. She carries all kinds of neat threads, beads etc. Also gives advice and has loads of canvases. She does custom made canvases too. Her prices are average for threads which are expensive to begin with. For a 12x12, you should not have to spend over the $500 you mentioned. Probably a lot less.

As for the canvas being expensive, most are. I was about to post a request about where I can find canvases that are less expensive.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:38 pm
Thank you to everyone who responded!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing