Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job Interview for Professional Position - What to Wear?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:31 am
I have been out of the work force for a few years and I am trying to get back into it. I have a job interview coming up in a few days. I will be wearing a black suit with a colored shirt under the jacket. I was wondering what to wear on my legs and feet. I am in NYC and it is cold! I would like to wear opaque tights. Is that acceptable? Should I wear pumps with opaque tights? Should I wear nude stockings? All advice is welcome and appreciated!

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:21 pm
Always wear a suit.

When it's been snowy I have worn black opaque tights and boots on the train, then switched to pumps at the reception desk. There is usually a coat closet and I leave the boots and the bag (that the pumps were in) in the closet. I have done this at least twice and it's been fine.

(As an aside, I try to have my clothing as un-noticeable as possible. I try to stick with white or cream colored shell, black suit, and strand of pearls. Pearl earrings. I can't explain it but as soon as the interviewer starts to focus on your odd or different clothing, it's bad. For one recent interview that I went on, I was already wearing a white button down blouse, so I figured, I can just wear a blouse under a suit, with a double collar. That interview did not go well.)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:35 pm
It depends if it's a male or female interviewer
a
And what age you are Mad LOL

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 5:49 pm
If you're wearing a suit, definitely a pair of pumps. Don't count on cloakroom.
It IS rather embarrassing when the interviewer sees you off to the elevator while
you need to retrieve coat & boots, AND having to switch footgear.

Opaque tights are definitely doable.

Hatzlacha.

dimples

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 5:56 pm
Yes, wear the pumps. You can definitely wear solid black opaque tights

penguin

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:00 pm
Nobody would just go in to the interview in boots? I mean, there is more than half a foot of snow outside in most of the NY area. It seems to me that boots are normal.

Not red rubber galoshes. Not 4 inch heels. But if you have nice, conservative boots, the equivalent of pumps? Really not?

(I wonder if that was the problem with the interview I had when I was graduating college? I don't remember it being snowy outside, I think it must have been March or April... and my suit wasn't black. You think?)

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:23 pm
penguin wrote:
Nobody would just go in to the interview in boots? I mean, there is more than half a foot of snow outside in most of the NY area. It seems to me that boots are normal.

Not red rubber galoshes. Not 4 inch heels. But if you have nice, conservative boots, the equivalent of pumps? Really not?

(I wonder if that was the problem with the interview I had when I was graduating college? I don't remember it being snowy outside, I think it must have been March or April... and my suit wasn't black. You think?)

The kind of boots that would look acceptable would not be appropriate for snow.

Unless its a storefront office, I'd change in the lobby, and put my boots in a tote bag, to be retrieved with my coat. Certainly the interviewer will understand.

jflower

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:15 pm
OP, listen to Barbara. Do not attempt to walk on the snow & ice in pumps. Just change your footwear & don't worry about it.

Best of luck. Let us know how it went.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:28 pm
Go in a suit and I disagree abt not wearing a nice shirt that pops. U can deff add some to ur outfit or Ull look too uptight. A nice fitted shirt in a good not too bright color is ok. black tights are fine and I would wear heels. I would not count on a place to store or change ur shoes tho
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics