Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
I got a new kitten for my other kitten am I crazy

mommygmer

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 5:41 pm
I got a kitten at 7 weeks from a shelter. her mom was a stray and I am scared she has the same presentlay. she is so cute but very skittish loves to play is mouthing the kids I felt bad she doesnt have onther cat to mouth which is normal for cats.

Today I went back to the shelter because we had to get her fixed so picked her up at the last second asked them if they would give me anther cat for free.

they did now I am freaked out if I made the right choice.

First one is week from surgery and very upset at the intruder a 3 month old non spayed (will get that done in a few weeks ) kitten.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 5:45 pm
They will either get used to each other and become BFFs, or they will ignore each other and stay at opposite ends of the house. You never can tell with cats.

If it doesn't work out, you can always re-home one of the cats to a family that doesn't have other pets.

mommygmer

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 5:54 pm
I am fostering it for a 3 weeks until it gets fixed if it doesn't work I guess I could return it.

greenhelm

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 7:19 pm
I usually get two kittens at a time so they can keep each other company. Having a buddy doesn't stop them from getting from getting mouthy, though.

mommygmer

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:54 pm
When does the mouthy stop.

greenhelm

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:31 pm
Not sure - our current kitties are about 4 months old and the vet says they're still teething, and kind of mouthy as a result. We never had a mouthy problem with our older cats as long as we were gentle with them as kittens and didn't get them into the habit of playing rough with people.

chani8

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 2:53 am
The way I deal with mouthing and scratching is that only when they mouth a little too hard do I react. The way I react is to make a cry noise, a little screech, or a whimper.

With all the strays (both dogs and cats) that we've fostered, in my experience, they do eventually bond. At first it seems it's all about who is the Alpha. Once that's clear, everyone calms down.

Currently we have 2 dogs, 2 puppies, 4 outside cats, 3 indoor kittens... and 5 birds. Smile

Good luck with your kitties. Enjoy them! They get big so fast.

Just curious, at what age do they spay dogs and cats in the US?

greenhelm

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:40 am
chani8 wrote:
The way I deal with mouthing and scratching is that only when they mouth a little too hard do I react. The way I react is to make a cry noise, a little screech, or a whimper.

With all the strays (both dogs and cats) that we've fostered, in my experience, they do eventually bond. At first it seems it's all about who is the Alpha. Once that's clear, everyone calms down.

Currently we have 2 dogs, 2 puppies, 4 outside cats, 3 indoor kittens... and 5 birds. Smile

Good luck with your kitties. Enjoy them! They get big so fast.

Just curious, at what age do they spay dogs and cats in the US?

Your home must be so lively!! Sounds like a blast!

They're spaying and neutering quite young these days. We got our girlies from a rescue when there were 10 weeks or so, and they had been spayed that week. Seems the rescues want to make sure everyone is fixed before they put them up for adoption. Certainly saves me the trouble of getting it done later!

I'm in Canada, btw.

mommygmer

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 8:57 am
Fluffy the one we had before keeps following cutie the new one around the house. she tries to attack by hitting her cuties tail and they both scream.

Fluffy is the one that is most upset. I hope she figures it out soon.

mommygmer

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 9:01 am
greenhelm wrote:
Your home must be so lively!! Sounds like a blast!

They're spaying and neutering quite young these days. We got our girlies from a rescue when there were 10 weeks or so, and they had been spayed that week. Seems the rescues want to make sure everyone is fixed before they put them up for adoption. Certainly saves me the trouble of getting it done later!

I'm in Canada, btw.

If you adopt before they have it as a foster care and its not official until after the fixing which they pay for (part of the price of adoption).

and yes Chani8 your house sounds like so much fun can we come visit.

what kind of dogs puppy's do you have. That will be my next step. (in a long wile)

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 9:40 am
kitties need a playmate ... this is the best time to get them acclimated - rather than when they're older

have you asked if this first kitty has a sibling from the same litter - that would be ideal because they would for sure get along

mommygmer

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:19 pm
Wow what an amazing thing to watch the younger more nerves kitten totally transform.

at first she kept on following the older calmer one and hissing at her at every turn now she followed her around the house shares from her food and water (they have 2 separate bowels) and looks for her when ever she is not around.

we found them both in a tight hiding place in the basement on top of the heating vents it was so cute.

she still instigates her and waits for her to pounce so she can play she lays on her back with all legs up begging her the older one is not so in the mood hopefully soon she will be.

it really worked for us she doesn't pounce at are feet because she wants to play with us now that she has anther cat. she does come our lap to get cuttled and pet.

Bh it was a great decision even if it was on the spur of the moment.

greenhelm

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:51 pm
I'm so glad it worked out!

chani8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 1:09 am
Such good news OP! Enjoy your sweet kitties!!

chani8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 1:28 am
mommygmer wrote:
If you adopt before they have it as a foster care and its not official until after the fixing which they pay for (part of the price of adoption).

and yes Chani8 your house sounds like so much fun can we come visit.

what kind of dogs puppy's do you have. That will be my next step. (in a long wile)

We rescue the mutts that are dumped at an industrial zone in our town. About every six months there is another litter. We take them home, clean them up, and advertise them. We're fairly successful at finding them homes. B"H.

Once, a small puppy was dropped just outside our gate. We kept him, a pinscher-dachshund mix that we call Scooby Do, was probably inbred one too many times, as he trembles a lot.

We've found homes for several puppies, but we still have three. One each, from the last three liters. They are Canaani mixes. Medium to large size. They are shepherds by nature, so I've discovered that if I take them on a hike in the desert, off leash, they transform into the calmest happiest dogs ever.

BTW, dogs are much more complicated and difficult than cats. I prefer cats. My outside cats even go for walks with me. They behave so much better than dogs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets