Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Does cooked gefilte fish freeze well?

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:24 am
Bought family size gefilte fish by mistake. We are just the few of us here this Shabbos. Can I freeze half of it for a different week?

blueberries

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:27 am
Cooked gefilte fish when defrosted will be very juicy. Why don't you cut it in half and freeze it. Only cook what you will be eating.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:29 am
Um, because it's too frozen to cut? Do you defrost it before cooking? I usually plop it straight in the pot and cook it for a long time. It's not like I know what I'm doing. I don't even like the stuff, I make it for the others.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:33 am
OK, I hacked it in half, re-froze half and put half back in the pot. Is it all going to fall apart out the cut end of the wrapper though? Should I have wrapped it in foil? What IS the wrapper anyway, parchment paper maybe?

blueberries

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:36 am
The wrapper is parchment paper. Usually if not wrapped it does not fall apart it just grows larger.

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:41 am
I used to do this all the time before my kids were eating fish and we didn't need a whole loaf. In fact I still do it when we have quests and need more than 1 loaf but not 2 whole ones. I leave it out to defrost for 10-15 minutes so it's a little easier to cut. The cut end does not fall apart at all. The half that I'm not using I just re-wrap in saran wrap and place in a small ziplock bag back in the freezer until I need it.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:44 am
I assume you cut the paper in half when you cut the fish. I do that often (freeze half). A part of the fish sticks out from the end of the paper. It does not fall apart. I think that piece that sticks out ends up tasting the best and I cut off that piece for myself!

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 11:51 am
Great, thanks for the advice!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:33 pm
I do it all the time, because I have a small family. I've never had a problem with it. If it's too soggy, rest it on paper towels after you thaw it out, before you serve it.

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:00 pm
My friend freezes cooked gefilte fish all the time. Says its just as good as fresh cooked.

raich

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:23 pm
I find that when I freeze it after it's cooked the taste changes a bit but it's still totally edible and nobody except me notices the taste difference.
When I cook only a half a loaf it kind of grows a bit out of the cut end (kind of mushroom-like) but it tastes regular.

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:29 pm
My DH will make 2 loaves at a time and freeze them, recently he started cutting the loaves in half so that we get 4 weeks out of the loaves. Never really noticed anything different about the taste.

mommydearest

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:30 pm
From my experience - don't do it. when you defrost it is watery and not as tasty.

Levtov

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 9:40 pm
If you have extra cooked gefilte fish, wrap it in towel paper, then in silver foil and zip lock bag to freeze. I always have some in the freezer if I have some more guests etc. and need some more. I defrost and drop it into my regular fish container. Only I know that there is a slight difference, but very good to serve.

imamazing

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 11:32 pm
Levtov wrote:
If you have extra cooked gefilte fish, wrap it in towel paper, then in silver foil and zip lock bag to freeze. I always have some in the freezer if I have some more guests etc. and need some more. I defrost and drop it into my regular fish container. Only I know that there is a slight difference, but very good to serve.

A caterer once taught me this trick. I ve been doing it for 2 years. I bake 4 loaves at a time. Cut each in half and wrap as levtov suggested. I take out one half each Shabbos or more if I have guests.

Has been a real time saver for me and one of the best kitchen tips I've learnt since I got married Smile

Pink Flamingo

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 11:46 pm
I freeze cooked gefilte fish all the time. The trick is to freeze it right away, as soon as it cools. Don't let it sit in the fridge before freezing.

thanks

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:07 am
I reheat it after I take it out of the freezer. We always eat the g-filte fish warm on Friday nite.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics