Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher restaurant in San Francisco Bay Area

SRB

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:43 pm
I'm going to be in the San Francisco Bay Area and wanting to know if anyone has any recommendations for kosher restaurants. TIA!!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:58 pm
Can you specify where you are visiting/which side of the Bay?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 5:47 am
In san francisco itself, you have sabra grill. I heard an additional restaurant may have opened up there (or will open up?), but I don't know anything about it.

In palo alto, you have 2 izzys bakery locations. It's a pizza and bagel shop. Please note that the location on california avenue is open on shabbos (they do the whole non-jew heter and nothing sold on the weekday is from what is produced on shabbos). Since this restaurant was the first on this hasgacha, they let it stay open. All other restaurants and food bearing the hashgacha are NOT open on shabbos. I think the other Izzys location is not open on shabbos. (I grew up there my whole life, and recently we went to visit and found this out - and my husband called the hashgacha's masgiach to verify. We personally will not eat there now but I know that most people in the community DO eat there, so you have what to rely on.)

That's pretty much it at this point!

SRB

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 1:10 pm
Thank u for the info! I'll be staying in the east bay but will have transportation to drive any reasonable distance. I thought there maybe something in Oakland other than the butcher, Holyland, and the bakery.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 1:13 pm
I never really ate in oakland.

But here's a list of companies from the bay area hashgacha that lists the kosher places:
http://www.sunrisekosher.org/k......html

Enjoy Smile

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 1:18 pm
Restaurant listing from the local hashgacha:

http://www.sunrisekosher.org/k......html
Sunrise Kosher

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 2:32 pm
SRB wrote:
Thank u for the info! I'll be staying in the east bay but will have transportation to drive any reasonable distance. I thought there maybe something in Oakland other than the butcher, Holyland, and the bakery.

Oakland Kosher does catering/takeout, and may have an option for sit-down dining. I've never had it personally (don't live close to Oakland) but have heard good things from many people. Amba Grill is also quite good. If you retitle your post asking for East Bay restaurant suggestions you will probably get posts from amothers living in that general area.

Enjoy your visit!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 2:54 pm
Double check Holyland - I think there was talk about changing their hashgaca status. So give them a call first to confirm.

In the East Bay you have Amba, Grand bakery and the butcher and that's it (and maybe Holyland.

Amba is the only "real" restaurant setting. The butcher does serve hot food but it's just a couple of tables in the middle of the market. Good to get a casual meal but not a business meeting type of place.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 3:32 pm
Jerusalem grill in Campbell, san jose is pretty good.

SRB

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 8:32 pm
Thank you ladies! Amba was the restaurant I was trying to think of. I actually grew up in the east bay and visit often - I normally just make do in my parents (non kosher) kitchen but I'd like to go out to eat this visit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics